Daedalus vs. Salk listening impressions

stump4545

Daedalus vs. Salk listening impressions
« on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:09 pm »
understood 2 great speaker companies, but has anyone compared the HT3's to the Daedalus line?

Listening impressions?

I have the HT3's and i stumbled upon the Daedalus line from Modwright and i must say they definitely look real sweet. 

Berto

Re: Daedalus vs. Salk listening impressions
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2010, 06:22 pm »
understood 2 great speaker companies, but has anyone compared the HT3's to the Daedalus line?

Listening impressions?

I have the HT3's and i stumbled upon the Daedalus line from Modwright and i must say they definitely look real sweet.

I do recall a person on audiogon forums who wanted to buy speakers direct and looked into Salk, Tyler, Selah and Daedalus.  He did not indicate listening impressions but said he evaluted them for a while and went with Daedalus. If you do a search I'm sure oyu can ask him for more specifics via PM.

fwinston

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2010, 08:33 pm »
I may be the guy Berto is referring to in his message.  Drop me a note at my e-mail address and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have regarding Daedalus Audio speakers and the others mentioned.

toobluvr

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2010, 08:47 pm »

I have never heard any of those speakers but based on comments I keep coming across about their sublime musicality, and how easy they are to drive,  I would give real serious consideration to Daedalus.

I'm sure the Salks and Selahs are wonderful speakers but personally I would not wanna be limited  to 250 wpc arc welders to drive them properly.  I admit upfront to this bias and personal preference.   I need a speaker that at least has a chance to be driven by modest tube power (ie:  35 - 100 wpc).

I would also look into Duke LeJeune and his Audiokinesis speakers.

I bet both the AK and Daedalus speakers would be fierce with even less than 40 tube watts.  Now you're getting into 845 and 805 territory, and talkin my language!    :thumb:

kip_

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2010, 03:00 am »
I have 85db efficient monitors from Selah and 38wpc is more than enough to drive them to 95db+ volume levels with no strain at all from the amp (11 o'clock on my SP3 integrated). Far louder than I care to listen. Note that these are just little sealed monitors, a floorstander with big woofers this might not work as well.

toobluvr

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2010, 03:49 am »
I have 85db efficient monitors from Selah and 38wpc is more than enough to drive them to 95db+ volume levels with no strain at all from the amp (11 o'clock on my SP3 integrated). Far louder than I care to listen. Note that these are just little sealed monitors, a floorstander with big woofers this might not work as well.

It's not only about volume.   It's about getting everything out of the speaker that it has to offer.   It's about grip, control, scale, ease, refinement and speed.  I gotta believe that with such an inefficient speaker, those qualities are not being maximized with 38wpc. 

Put 200 wpc on those speakers and I'm quite certain it will come alive in ways you will barely recognize.     :thumb: