OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs
« Reply #380 on: 25 Feb 2018, 02:46 am »
Waiting on the new baffles for the planar mid and tweeter to arrive.  Once they get here and built, will be able to listen to them.

Captainhemo

« Reply #381 on: 25 Feb 2018, 06:34 am »
We sold our demo subs that I had been using in my room so I had to throw a  set of these modulars together and load them up with some drivers until I can  build  a  permanent pair for my room ( again  LOL).
I popped one of the   prototype wedgie cabinets up  on it  in these pics...... the  4 wiring pass through holes inthe  rearward  facing   baffle really   aid in keeping the  wires as short and neat as possible

This  was also the trial run for bolting on the bases  to make  adding an additional modula easy.  The bolts go down through the base and thread into  inserts installed in the bottom of the base.

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #382 on: 25 Feb 2018, 09:19 pm »
HAL,

Any updates on your OB subs ?  How do they sound ? 

Those cabinets sure do look great.  Love the modular/stackable design.  Plenty of room to grow.

TIA

Here is the thread where I am discussing the planar driver upper module that goes with the 2x12 servo subs.   Want to keep this thread about the servo subs.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153244.msg1668776#new

6NS

« Reply #383 on: 23 Jun 2018, 04:12 am »
Hey Jay,
What area of town are you in and are you busy tomorrow, Sat. the 23rd.
Ron from Ktown

Captainhemo

« Reply #384 on: 24 Jun 2018, 04:43 pm »
Hey Jay,
What area of town are you in and are you busy tomorrow, Sat. the 23rd.
Ron from Ktown

hey Ron
Sorry I missed this, was  a bit of   hectic day yesterday then went out to the  Wentworth concert last night.
I'm in the  South Ethel area

jay

6NS

« Reply #385 on: 25 Jun 2018, 04:41 am »
Hello Jay,
I should be free from business tomorrow around 3:00.
Have you a shop where I can drop by.
Are you making all Danny's flat-packs?
Sure would save on shipping.
Ron

Captainhemo

« Reply #386 on: 25 Jun 2018, 07:20 am »
Hello Jay,
I should be free from business tomorrow around 3:00.
Have you a shop where I can drop by.
Are you making all Danny's flat-packs?
Sure would save on shipping.
Ron

I sent you  a PM  this afternoon with my email address, did you  get it  ?

jay

6NS

« Reply #387 on: 26 Jun 2018, 02:23 am »
I can't seem to find it Jay.
Try again please.
I'm not allowed your email.
I'm anxious to meet up.
Ron

Captainhemo

« Reply #388 on: 26 Jun 2018, 04:18 am »
I can't seem to find it Jay.
Try again please.
I'm not allowed your email.
I'm anxious to meet up.
Ron

Just  sent you  another one  Ron.    go  to "home"... in the  left  hand  pane  you should  see   " unread messages" ,  click that.
LMK if you have  troubles   

jay
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2018, 04:21 pm by Captainhemo »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #389 on: 26 Jun 2018, 04:03 pm »
He may not have enough posts for PMs yet, doesn’t it take 5?

Captainhemo

« Reply #390 on: 26 Jun 2018, 04:14 pm »
He may not have enough posts for PMs yet, doesn’t it take 5?

yeah,  but,  I think you  can reply to PM's right away, you  just  can't initiate them but I could be wrong.
Anyway,   been in contact via  email now, all good 

jay

Hogweed75

« Reply #391 on: 4 Jul 2018, 02:29 pm »
Has any one built a pair of OB subs to go with Eminent Technology LFT-8b speakers?  Thinking about a pair of triples to go with mine.

Captainhemo

« Reply #392 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:18 pm »
Finally getting  some material flowing again  :)
Another pair of triples  ready to go

New cabs are now using  1" Medex for bafles and braces.
driver mounting  screw holes pre-drilled

Roundovers on  rear side of  driver cutouts.  May have shown this before, but we are now  putting  4  wiring pass through holes in baffle for rearward facing  drivers. This allows  wires to run up both sides ( one side driver coil, one side servo coil) and  let's  you   go  out to the front at the bottom, run up to the terminals,  then cntinue up   and out the top.  Saves back and forth wiring and keeps  wiring as short as possible.

jay
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2018, 07:57 pm by Captainhemo »

soundray

« Reply #393 on: 5 Jul 2018, 02:44 am »
Hi Jay,
      I would like to order some flatpack baffles from you.  Thanks

Captainhemo

« Reply #394 on: 5 Jul 2018, 05:01 am »
What  are  you after  ?  shoot me  a message

jay
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2018, 04:22 pm by Captainhemo »

Kazoom

« Reply #395 on: 6 Sep 2018, 12:31 am »
As I have consumed the content from this community over the past year and a half, I feel I should at least contribute a little to compensate for the knowledge you have all has shared. So provided below is my humble opinion of the experience I had listening to the legendary H-Frame OB Subs.

I had to the privileged to head up to the great white north over the labor day weekend and meet the legendary Jay and his good buddy Don.

First I want to thank Jay and Don for the hospitality.  The food was off the charts good, the local wines were most tasty, and somehow we managed to stay out of the whiskey, which was probably a good thing.

I was lucky enough to hear both the NX-Treme Oticas and the NX-Oticas coupled with the servo-controlled OB H Frames.  Since this is the H-Frame thread, I will stick to what I have to say about those beauties and maybe post some listening thoughts on the Oticas in their appropriate thread.

Let us start with a little history; I first came across these subs while looking for a way to augment the bass in my three-way speakers that seem to roll off way higher than I prefer.  I had been evaluating the regular suspects (the ones you find in many of the hifi shops) and reading every review I could get my hands on.  In one review of a hi-end show, the GR-Research OB subs were mentioned as a side note in the article where the author compared what he was hearing to Danny's H-Frames and how how has not heard such great bass since.  Please note, that the H-Frames were not at the show, but he chose to use them as a reference point.  That un-provoked positive review/comparison piqued my curiosity and sent me chasing a chance to hear this open baffle sound that is compared to the known best out there.

Fast forward 18 months and I finally got my chance to hear them. 

I am so impressed with the H-Frames, they really produce incredible clean bass.  The notes heard from the standup bass on Erykah Badu's Rim Shot, or any of the many Ray Brown recordings we played was just plain extraordinarily detailed and clean.  It was like the notes were being plucked from the strings in front of me.

People have stated before that these subs just sound right, and I can only concur.  The punch these subs provided (both the 3 stacks and the two stacks) was more than enough.  When listening to the likes of Larry Carlton and Robben Ford jam away on a live recording the kick drum and bass guitar were providing that thump and blanket of vibratory bliss that just takes you deep into feeling the music like you are at the show.  We even threw on some Kanye West and of course some of the heavy stuff like Rage Against the Machine, and Disturbed's Down with the Sickness just because you must when testing subs, and the H-Frames came through having no issues with the heavy hitters.

The statements people make about the bass not being boomy is spot on.  I have heard some pf the major competitors out there with monster voice coils or even more monstrous price tags, and the servo subs in Jay's H-frames just sound cleaner to me.  The big boys I did audition are excellent contenders, but the H-Frames are really incredible.

I feel like I am repeating what has been said before on the forums, but after finally having heard it myself, I can only validate all the positives that this kind of sub-woofer is known for.

So after careful consideration and intense negotiation with the wife, I opted to take Jay up on his offer for the Sloped Purple Triples he had already built.  So, if anyone else was thinking about those...  Too late!  They are mine as I am taking delivery of them this month so do not even think about it!  :)

I am finally in the elite OB Sub Owners Club.  :beer:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #396 on: 6 Sep 2018, 12:44 am »
Welcome abord

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #397 on: 6 Sep 2018, 02:06 am »
Dan,    it was a great  litle  G2G, enjoyed the company.  And  yes,  Don  cooked up a killer feast  that  Sat  night :beer:

You'll both be  happy far  into the future  with those  subs :dance:

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #398 on: 6 Sep 2018, 06:07 am »

The statements people make about the bass not being boomy is spot on.  I have heard some pf the major competitors out there with monster voice coils or even more monstrous price tags, and the servo subs in Jay's H-frames just sound cleaner to me.  The big boys I did audition are excellent contenders, but the H-Frames are really incredible.

I feel like I am repeating what has been said before on the forums, but after finally having heard it myself, I can only validate all the positives that this kind of sub-woofer is known for.

I am finally in the elite OB Sub Owners Club.  :beer:

Sometimes in high end audio people fall in love with just different flavors of sound.  But sometimes sometime is just flat out better than everything else.  The OB subs are IME just flat out better.  Welcome to the world class bass club!!   :thumb:

undertowogt1

« Reply #399 on: 14 Nov 2018, 05:42 pm »
Prices are  $550 / pr duals, $750 / pr triples, boxes and shipping materials were much more costly than expected.  These things are going to be heavy so for US customers, there will be shipping out of Oroville WA 98844 ,k for Cdn customers they'l  ship  from V1W3S9
(approx 75lbs x 2 for duals, 95 lbs x 2 triples.)

Just curious on pricing, maybe this was answered already. Does pr duals mean a PAIR of Dual flat packs? Or is it 750 dollars for 1 Dual Flat Pack?