Evolution DAC

audio.bill

Re: Evolution DAC
« Reply #180 on: 9 Mar 2019, 02:22 pm »
Has anyone compared the evolution dac to the ps audio directstream dac with the snowmass upgrade?
That would be an interesting comparison! I'm hoping to see more feedback on the Evolution DAC including how it performs relative to other top level DACs. :popcorn:

kevb

« Reply #181 on: 9 Mar 2019, 11:57 pm »
Samoyed, if you are watching this thread......which Magnificat album was it that showed 352khz?  I am trying to get a handle on whether or not I am getting full MQA when I get my Evo DAC this week.....it has felt like ages since I ordered it.   :lol:

Samoyed

« Reply #182 on: 11 Mar 2019, 01:08 am »
Sorry, the management gave me 30 days for commenting on some guy’s Nuprime sale. I’ll let you know, tommorow when SWMBO lets me turn on my gear.

Samoyed

« Reply #183 on: 11 Mar 2019, 01:13 am »
Rusty, my Evolution DAC has begun injecting noise into my system at turn on, and turn off. It is like a soft whoosh. How do I get it repaired or replaced?  I really love the sound, which remains lovely!  Thanks

kevb

« Reply #184 on: 11 Mar 2019, 01:35 am »
Sorry, the management gave me 30 days for commenting on some guy’s Nuprime sale. I’ll let you know, tommorow when SWMBO lets me turn on my gear.
Ouch....30 days in AC prison.  Yikes.  I no longer have a SWMBO.   :lol:

No worries.  I am just collecting titles/tracks and their sampling rates so I can figure out whether or not I am getting full MQA.  Thank you. My Evo DAC should be hopefully here Tuesday, but for sure by Wednesday. 

Sorry to hear of your whooshing issue.  I just had the same issue with an IDA-16.  It was making a noticeable hissing/whooshing noises that would get worse when I hit mute....the noise would track the display blinking on and off.  It turns out it was my powerline conditioner.  No idea why......but it is fine now that I plugged it into a different outlet.

Samoyed

« Reply #185 on: 11 Mar 2019, 01:53 am »
The evo display works great, and shows even authenticated mqa. I’ll let you know in the am if I’m still here.

Samoyed

« Reply #186 on: 11 Mar 2019, 01:00 pm »
OK, look for a bunch of Norwegian names. It appears to have been performed in Trondheim. Your Evo should show what Roon shows for resolution, and the sound is ethereal!

Samoyed

« Reply #187 on: 11 Mar 2019, 01:04 pm »

http://www.2l.no/pages/album/106.html
Original source
DXD (352.8kHz/24bit)
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2019, 02:46 pm by Samoyed »

rustydoglim

« Reply #188 on: 11 Mar 2019, 02:58 pm »
Sorry to hear of your whooshing issue.  I just had the same issue with an IDA-16.  It was making a noticeable hissing/whooshing noises that would get worse when I hit mute....the noise would track the display blinking on and off.  It turns out it was my powerline conditioner.  No idea why......but it is fine now that I plugged it into a different outlet.

Another reason to get NuPrime Pure-AC4  :P

Samoyed

« Reply #189 on: 11 Mar 2019, 03:03 pm »
Rusty, what about my issue?

Yes, I will be buying one.

rustydoglim

« Reply #190 on: 11 Mar 2019, 03:05 pm »
Contact support and work with them to figure out. If it is just turn on and off woosh, that doesn't sound like a problem.
When you contact support, you have to describe all the diagnostic steps you have taken.
For example connect only Evo DAC to amp only, what happen?
etc. Don't answer me here, contact support.

Samoyed

« Reply #191 on: 11 Mar 2019, 03:10 pm »
Well, this just started about a week ago, without warning. I guess you are saying go to the Nuprime site....

audio.bill

« Reply #192 on: 11 Mar 2019, 03:20 pm »
If it's just a noise when powering on/off I'd suggest considering leaving it powered up all the time. DACs use very little power and generally sound best when left powered on, and only turned off if you won't be using the system for an extended period of time or during thunderstorms.

Samoyed

« Reply #193 on: 11 Mar 2019, 03:23 pm »
Thanks, Bill-it has never been powered down, but operated in “on” or “standby” since new. It is a new thing/issue.

Samoyed

« Reply #194 on: 11 Mar 2019, 03:27 pm »
Ok, Rusty, I completed a ticket but made up a serial number since I’m old, with bad eyes, and too tired this morning to pull the DAC out where I can see it.

I’m a bit displeased at this....

rustydoglim

« Reply #195 on: 11 Mar 2019, 06:22 pm »
When fault like this happen, there is not much I can do here remotely.  Please provide detail description in the help desk ticket.

Samoyed

« Reply #196 on: 11 Mar 2019, 06:32 pm »
I’ve done that, but I wanted you to be aware of it should you need to intercede. Thanks!

audio.bill

« Reply #197 on: 11 Mar 2019, 06:49 pm »
Ok, Rusty, I completed a ticket but made up a serial number since I’m old, with bad eyes, and too tired this morning to pull the DAC out where I can see it.

I’m a bit displeased at this....
If you have easier access to the shipping box than the back of the DAC it likely includes the S/N for reference.

Samoyed

« Reply #198 on: 11 Mar 2019, 07:24 pm »
Thanks, Bill. Earlier, I sent Nuprime support a photo of a bar code, with numbers, found on the outside. It clearly identifies the contents as a black, Evolution DAC.

kevb

« Reply #199 on: 13 Mar 2019, 05:00 am »
Just received my Evo DAC today.  It was quite cold when I hooked it up, and it sounded decidedly meh for the first song or 2.  It is now 11 hours later, and I am chuckling or downright giggling at the sound I am getting.  The tone, the lifelike presentation, the complete disappearance of my speakers, and the way my daughters kept coming out of their rooms to see who was playing piano, or guitar.....really showed me something.  They were fooled in their bedrooms.....and I was playing speakers with not much in the way of dynamic range.

THIS. DAC. IS. A. STONE. COLD. BARGAIN.

I have never made an improvement of this magnitude to my system, ever.  And it is matching up incredibly well with my MCX amp.

Hats off to Jason and the design team.....this is amazing!!
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2019, 12:03 pm by kevb »