Amp issue

sfox7076

Amp issue
« on: 15 Dec 2014, 08:46 pm »
I turned on my amp yesterday and heard a pop.  I have dual monos in one chassis.  One side (left side) was out.  Open the case and the cap on the left SMPSs (version 3) at C15 is bulging and there is some burning (it seems) at T8.  Sent an Email to Hypex.  Guess we will see what happens.  I just wonder why the cap may have died.  It's only 3 or so years old.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Amp issue
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2014, 08:48 pm »
I turned on my amp yesterday and heard a pop.  I have dual monos in one chassis.  One side (left side) was out.  Open the case and the cap on the left SMPSs (version 3) at C15 is bulging and there is some burning (it seems) at T8.  Sent an Email to Hypex.  Guess we will see what happens.  I just wonder why the cap may have died.  It's only 3 or so years old.
They will take care of it.  Take the SMPS out and get it ready for return.  Also, you might want to send them an email including the serial # if you haven't already. 

Oh, do NOT use the SMPS. 

sfox7076

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2014, 08:58 pm »
HA.  And to think, I thought it would work...  Heh.  I won't use it.  I sent an Email.  Just wonder why the cap would fail.

*Scotty*

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2014, 11:40 pm »
Regarding the cap failure, I would say S**t just happens, what the heck.
Scotty

farquad

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2014, 06:30 am »
I just had an amp module returned for repair and they sent it back like the same day or day after it had reached hypex. Really fast and smooth handled by them.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2014, 08:03 am »
Just wonder why the cap would fail.

Bad part? Happens every now and then, no matter how well you screen your suppliers.

sfox7076

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2014, 02:10 pm »
No word back from Hypex yet...  Hope it come soon.  I hate not having an amp...  Brining my AVA Ultimate 70 back on line for now...  Still need my 1625s to be finished.  Sigh.

undertow

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2014, 04:13 pm »
I also had a power supply go within about 2 weeks of being new on a Hypex. They replaced very fast, I think I had the new supply within 3 days of contacting them. It was obviously well within warranty at that point. I don't know if it was a power cap I just don't even remember at this point.

In any case I found especially with a Dual mono case it did run rather hot, and I know many disagree with this. Mostly the plates on the SMPS supplies were very hot. I put real heatsinks on those plates, and never an issue again, plus they ran pretty much barely above room temp. after. That amp is running strong for 3 years now with a little mod on those power supplies.

Good Luck

occamsrazor

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2014, 10:51 am »
Mostly the plates on the SMPS supplies were very hot. I put real heatsinks on those plates, and never an issue again, plus they ran pretty much barely above room temp. after. That amp is running strong for 3 years now with a little mod on those power supplies.

Out of interest... any pictures of the heatsinks? Thanks.

undertow

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2014, 02:28 pm »
I originally did have a thread on here years ago which I think is still active somewhere?

Anyway these are the ones I used, I think you can fit 2 or 3 of these on each power supply. Others have used them as well with good luck.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2150942_-1

drmike

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2014, 11:55 am »
thanks jonbee and julf, i'll let you know how I make out.
drmike

sfox7076

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2015, 04:27 am »
Back up and running.

occamsrazor

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2015, 08:52 am »
Did they repair the old one or replace? If repair I wonder if they examined it and found the cause, would be interesting to know...

sfox7076

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2015, 11:25 am »
The unit looks new, but has the same serial number as the one sent in.