Welcome to Cheap & Cheerful HiFi!

JohnR

Re: Welcome to Cheap & Cheerful HiFi!
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:32 am »
Um again... not sure why you think I'm taking it personally. I would agree that some threads don't meet the guidelines, although 75% seems on the high side. I think these dilute the original point of the circle, which is the challenge. It was never really supposed to be the "not all that expensive" circle ;) Anyway.

Gopher

« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2011, 03:49 am »
touche!  point conceded   :lol:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 27 Apr 2011, 04:06 am »
I'm not complaining about that as the posts are useful--I just hope under new moderation they don't go away as I LIKE how things are.

Perhaps it's all my fault for asking for opinions, but when John asked for someone to step in it was with the proviso that the circle be administered as it had been.  I would take this as both the guidelines and the way they had been interpreted to stay the same.  Therefore I think Cheap should stay, as in the guidelines, and Cheerful should stay, as in we're all friends and there need be no heavy handed edicts laid down. 

Mariusz was somewhat liberal only stepping in when something was clearly not in the C&C spirit, thus the large number of threads that seem to push the limit.  Everyone appears to be happy with this, I didn't detect any Palace revolts, so I don't anticipate any wholesale chopping of threads or posts.  I'll be looking at the threads started since our dear friend's absence to see if anything might be more appropriately placed in another circle, but I wouldn't stress over anything, gentle forbearance seems most appropriate here.  This has been the fun to post in circle and I think it should stay that way.       

Gopher

« Reply #23 on: 29 Apr 2011, 04:11 pm »
No fault at all, but thank you for expressing your thoughts.  Unless I'm blind to it, I think everyone is very happy with the circle and I know its one of my favorites here.

I agree that there is no need to change any rules as long as interpretation stays liberal.  Truth be told, that was the first time I'd actually read the guidelines of the forum (it was on the front page/new threads) so I was just hopeful things wouldn't change too much. 

I enjoy it here and didn't mean to sound critical.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2011, 02:23 am »
I agree that there is no need to change any rules as long as interpretation stays liberal. 

For example your Zu Omen thread.  Clearly even at the $999 former sale price the Omen is way over the limit for the entire friggin' system, as per guidelines.  Mariusz not only signed off on the thread, he bought a pair of the speakers.  By rights it should have been moved to one of the speaker circles, but at 28 pages now what am I to do with it?  Obviously since everyone signed off on it way back when, it shouldn't be moved now, but what to do with the next $1500 speaker?  Is it fair to make that thread move?

Here's how I see it.  The rules say $1000 max limit with $200 wiggle room, with some sub limits on analog etc.  If you can convince a reasonable person that your special component combined with anything you can beg, borrow, or steal could possibly make a functioning audio system come in under the limit, you're in.  For example the $500 DAC thread could be combined with a $29 DVD player transport, a $50 chip amp, and some Parts Express DIY speakers to come in way under the limit, therefore passed muster.  The same standard passed on to the sub system limits.  Therefore your Omen thread would be moved if posted today, despite being grandfathered in at this time. 

Does that make sense and is anyone but we two reading this?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #25 on: 30 Apr 2011, 02:34 am »
Makes sense to me and I agree with your philosophy on the circle, have fun with it.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:09 pm »
Makes perfect sense to me, and I agree.

Gopher

« Reply #27 on: 2 May 2011, 01:48 am »
I gotcha and that makes sense to me as well.

As a point of information, it wasn't ever my thread.  Marisuz didn't sign off on it, he created it.   :lol:  He severed my post from another thread and it grew from there. 

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 2 May 2011, 09:40 am »
Here's how I see it.  The rules say $1000 max limit with $200 wiggle room, with some sub limits on analog etc.  If you can convince a reasonable person that your special component combined with anything you can beg, borrow, or steal could possibly make a functioning audio system come in under the limit, you're in.

Cool :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #29 on: 2 May 2011, 02:45 pm »
I gotcha and that makes sense to me as well.

As a point of information, it wasn't ever my thread.  Marisuz didn't sign off on it, he created it.   :lol:  He severed my post from another thread and it grew from there.

Thanks for the clarification.  Even more validation for grandfathering the thread into C&C.   

Klaus7112

« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2012, 04:26 pm »
I love this "Cheap & Cheerful HiFi", great:lol:

gtube

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 25 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm »
The is the plan, please consider.

Musical Paradise MP-302 $70 + AKG K240 $80 (Headphone System <$200)
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 $299 + AKG K702 $299 + PSB Alpha B1 $250 (Stereo System <$1000)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #32 on: 26 Sep 2012, 03:44 am »
Both are great options, why don't you start a thread about it?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #33 on: 18 Apr 2015, 12:32 am »
Wow, coming up on four years that I've had the distinct pleasure of facilitating one of the best circles on AC with some of the best contributors on this board.  You guys deserve a big congrats for making this circle what it is.  And a big thanks to JohnR for making it all possible.  Here's to many more years of Cheap and Cheerful fun, thanks guys.

Tucker

« Reply #34 on: 31 Jan 2019, 04:54 pm »
DYNACO 400 AMP   400
ONKYO 301 PRE AMP 100
4 ADVENT 1   300
ONKYO CD PLAYER  25

This system will blow your head off!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #35 on: 1 Feb 2019, 04:01 am »
Looks like a great little system Tucker.

Lawnguy54

« Reply #36 on: 14 Oct 2021, 07:00 pm »
I have a RCA receiver 200 AMP, 701 Yamaha turn table a crate of albums- plus two Polk 705's speakers plus Dento BLT-HT for streaming

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #37 on: 15 Oct 2021, 02:02 pm »
Looks like a nice system.  The speakers and turntable may kick it over C&C guidelines, but only if you squeal about what you paid for them.