If it's free it's for me. Need help choosing speakers for free receiver

amb3cog

Okay so I picked up a free Sherwood rx4105 today at a yard sale (yes I know it's crap) . Guy said it was broken. Which it may be, but I had it playing tonight off my phone using a car speaker. And that's my problem. I need speakers. I'm tight on space though. So was thinking single full range driver in an open baffle. Guy on here has a 5inch (tang band) I liked, and I've seen some other deals on 8in and 12in.

I don't know how big the baffle has to be though. For each size driver anyway. Is every individual driver different? And really since I don't want to spend much at all. Like nothing really, or as little as I can. Just to have something for now. I'm still in the process of doing a car setup. So that's my priority for now. What size should I get? My room is maybe 13 x 14 or 15. 8 foot ceilings. I have 100 watts per channel. Has to be 8 Ohms or higher. I like all music, but can't do crazy bass. Or crazy loud because of other people. But want bass. Just can't have chest crushing bass that takes your breath away like my car. So this will be for me audiophile type stuff with great vocals and simple music

So I think I'll like the 5 inch Tang. And it's cheap. But am I deluding myself? Am I gonna be disappointed after listening to a vented 12in sub on 500 watts? Should I go as big as possible? Or just get an 8in which seems to be standard? Since I can move it easily. I can go big. But would rather go smaller for convenience. I want true full range though. Like at least to 18khz and down to 80hz, or even 50 or 60 if possible. Any ideas on what you would do? Please anything will help. Thank you.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Welcome to AC.

This time of year, look to college kids to dump speakers.  A friend years ago scored a pair of Klipsch Heresy's for $10 (in beat up unfinished cabinets) at a dormitory yard sale.  Heresy's aren't particularly small or great sounding, but very efficient.

What you seem to be asking for conflict with the laws of physics:  cheap/good; open baffle/deep bass; small open baffle/bass; small driver/bass.  None of these goals are very realistic.  You need to settle on a set of criteria (budget, size, target bass frequency).  Simply wanting your cake and eating it frankly is a bit childish.  Not knowing your sonic tastes makes it doubly hard for us to offer meaningful advice. 

Big/deep bass comes from big drivers, but honestly response down to the (quite wide) 50 - 80 Hz range isn't all that hard to achieve.  Drivers with high Qts (0.8 minimum) work best in open baffle.  Yes, the ideal baffle size is driver dependent, some get very large (bigger than most floor standing speakers). 

Aside from finding another yard sale special or just going to the junk yard and ripping out a pair to car speakers to use raw (no baffle/cabinet) here's another reasonably good/cheap option from Parts Express with a cheaper tweeter ($40/pair, 2-way stand-mounts, response rated down to 70 Hz, positively reviewed):  https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

Nick77

I agree with others, find some decent bookshelf speakers off craigslist or something for cheap. No need to try and reinvent the wheel only to be disappointed.

JCS

If low cost is the operative word, then either pick up a pair of used speakers or take Letitroll98's advice w/ the low cost PE speakers.  I have heard the B652; it's not a great speaker, but it sounds way better than you have any right to expect for the money.

If you want to try open baffle, then have a look at:
http://caintuckaudio.com/

If you want modest cost and quality sound in the mids & highs (but no bass), then check out the Fostex P800E DIY Kanspea 3" Full Range Speaker Kit  w/ the FF85wk driver (I'm no so sure about the FE83-SOL, as I have never heard it):
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/fostex-p800e-diy-kanspea-3-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/
Add a sub later & you may be happy for life! (or not...YMMV)

Cheers, Jim

lloyd bruney

I would go with the parts express bookshelf . If you do not like them you can send them back for a refund.

amb3cog

JLM Your post had me laughing. I get the whole laws of physics thing. There's always a compromise. I should have said mid bass. And I'm not picky. Just know that there's good and bad at most price points. Don't want consumer level junk. I was on my way to bed. I'm sure I could've been clearer. Still might not be. Not exactly the best at describing what I want.

As for music listened to. That's tough. I really do like almost all music. Even types I don't like. There's some songs I do. But not expecting to pound out crazy complicated stuff on a budget. Or expect it to sound great. Not sure what I want. That's why I cried help.

Anyway. You've already all helped. I've looked at all the speakers mentioned before, but had forgotten about them. I don't think the Fostex kit is right for me. And since I've always wanted to hear an AMT. I think the Dayton is the smart buy. Thank you all. I'm gonna do a speck more looking. But really with Craigslist being the only thing in my budget. And the odds of getting ripped off at a solid 50%. I'll go with the Daytons most likely. Besides I've always wanted to hear their stuff, and try PE. And I still need to get something for the upper frequencies of my car. I can basically take care of 4 or 5 things at once.

Where would I go about getting some cheap stands for them? Do they have some on PE you guys recommend? Just need something that won't be in my way too much, fairly sturdy, and that isn't hideous looking. If you guys could point me in the right direction. I can look later tonight when I get home from work.

Thank you very much guys. You've helped me a lot. Sorry if I actually seemed like the childish type. I'm the exact opposite of that. But being tired has that effect on me. Especially when I'm hungry too. Hangry? Putting together my car stereo has taught me just how much you have to compromise. It's very annoying actually. But that Dayton is a very good compromise IMO.

danali

had the daytons as well. great bang for the buck... :thumb:

orientalexpress

how about Pioneer SP-BS22-LR or a nice GR research Encore .for the money you can't beat those  :thumb:
welcome to AC

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
The ridiculous thing is, stands will cost more than the Parts Express speakers, so you might want to look at the floor standing versions of those monitors. 

Of course you could DIY.  Stacked 8 inch cinder blocks are probably the cheapest and sturdiest I can think of (cover with cloth to hide them or look for fancy blocks or clay tile pieces).  Next option that comes to mind would be a concrete pedestal you might find in a fancy garden.  Or you could always build a tall box and fill with play sand, not too hard to do and you can always pay the home improvement store to make the cuts for you (spikes could just be drywall screws). 

amb3cog

I actually was thinking the same thing about the stands. So I'm actually looking at towers right now. That's what I've always had in the past anyway. Not sure I'm gonna be happy with small speakers. I can see I'm going over my budget here. But I want to be happy.

I'll look at those two speakers there also. What's a really good tower set for around $250? 8ohm at least 1 6.5 inch woofer. 75+watt handling.

charmerci

You can get the Dayton Tower T652 at Parts-express for $10 off today.

Though I personally would probably go the Q Acoustics 2010i plus the Dayton SUB-800 for just over $250.

OzarkTom

Cinder blocks are 16" long. I would spray paint two of those and place them on end for the stands.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/16-in-x-8-in-x-6-in-Concrete-Block-068H0010100100/100322580

srb

For a few dollars more, get solid concrete blocks.  More mass and no ugly holes.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-x-8-in-x-16-in-Solid-Concrete-Block-801500102/202580163

orientalexpress

If you want to be cheap,you can get those cinder blocks for free ,just look at Craigslist on the free sessions.i saw them all the time.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
For $20 you can get a set of speakers that look nice but sound like crap. Use those as stands for your better speakers :)

For a few dollars more, get solid concrete blocks.  More mass and no ugly holes.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-x-8-in-x-16-in-Solid-Concrete-Block-801500102/202580163
At 72lbs each, my back hurts just thinking about it.

srb

At 72lbs each, my back hurts just thinking about it.
Didn't realize they were that heavy.  Cool!

32" might be too high of a stand, and if 24" is more suitable, perhaps a 8x8x16 topped with an 8x8x8 for only 108 lbs. per stand!

Steve

amb3cog

Not sure how this ended up being a thread about building materials. But I can't bring this in the house anyway so let's get back to speakers.  :nono: :D

Okay so I really think my best bet is to get some tower speakers. I've seen all sorts. And I think I should go for something that gets low, but not too low with no bigger then an 8in woofer. I can add sub later if I want more, and that way I can only use it when the time is right to. I'm concerned about bothering others. So no Bic RTR Eviction series. LOL

That leaves me with more questions. I have lots. But let's try two for now.

1) I haven't listened to anything in a while. So. What's the bass like on these smaller woofers? Or mid bass really. Like say the Pioneer Andrew Jones Tower. With 3 5 1/4's I think it is. I've noticed in the past that I didn't like bass from small woofers. But have been okay with 6 1/2's. Really like a sealed 8, but haven't seen any in my price range. It just seems to me that even though they might both go so low. That a bigger woofer sounds better doing it. To a point anyway. Unfortunately there not many places to listen anymore.

2)They're gonna be fairly close to a wall. Should I make sure to get front ported? I can move them out if need be for listening, but on a day to day basis. Where I may just crank them for a bit before work. Or just chillin. They're gonna be less then two feet, maybe around one foot from a wall. Even for listening just about two feet really. Not much room.

Thanks guys.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
Don't be so skeptical of those entry-level Sherwood stereo receivers.  They are built quite well for the money and can challenge many four figure receivers in terms of pure sound quality.  They are a simple design and have enough heft to make that $100 new price tag deceptive.  I sold mine years ago and wish I would have kept it now for a garage rig.

amb3cog

That's good to hear. I'm not worried about it. I just wanted to avoid people wasting our time telling me that I should invest in better. I'm running with it for now. No matter what. At the very least. It's powerful. And the price to performance ratio is through the roof.   :wink:

Thank you