Bottom line cheap

AgentOrange

Bottom line cheap
« on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:31 pm »
Not news, but today I find there are incredible choices for HiFi on a budget.
This was not the case 20 years ago.

All you need to eclipse many vintage systems is a laptop/PC which many already  have and some powered speakers.

A little reading on how to set it up and WTF?

One place to start would be used Audio Engine speakers on ebay for around $200.

hotmailjbc

Re: Bottom line cheap
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:56 pm »
i totally agree. and think how good some kef, adam, emotiva,  et al can perform for just a bit more. especially the models with a dac included.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2014, 11:03 pm »
I have the Audio Engine A-5 speakers, but I think you can do better for le$$ amps included.

AgentOrange

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2014, 12:05 am »
I don't see how?
I don't use those, do have the AP4 in storage.

If you add in a separate amp and speakers and go for $200 you must find an exceptional deal, not one available most days on ebay.

I am not pushing Audio Engine, just good powered speakers if on a budget.

What amp and speakers do you have in mind for $200.

hotmailjbc

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2014, 12:51 am »
200 bucks would be tough to beat. a emotiva a-100 on sale and a pr of pioneer sp22's on sale would still be 270.00 and you would have to still spend 80 bucks[or so] for a dac.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2014, 03:04 am »
The A-5 sell for $400 in  Canada. I bought mine used for$250. IMO the Pioneer BS22, which are $140 CAD are much nicer. As for an amp, how about $13.99 USD for 50 watts x2 Class D - TPA 3116. Even with a PS we're still well below the price of the A-5.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2014, 11:40 am »
AgentOrange, you're right.  Its a great time to be in the long end audio market.  Back when I started out in stereo (in the 70's) you'd have a very hard time generating much discussion within the C&C imposed system limits.

The Audio Engine A2+ speakers are $250/pair and include a Redbook DAC with deeper bass (F3 = 65 Hz), subwoofer output with the same 3/4" silk dome tweeter with neodymium magnet, 2 3/4" Kevlar woven glass aramid composite with rubber surround woofer and sized cabinet as the original A2.  Just connect to your computer (and of course Audio Engine offers wireless).  That's about as small, simple, cheap and still be considered 'audiophile' grade as I can imagine.  Here's a positive review:

//www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audioengine-a2-desktop-speakers-and-d3-dac/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-211

A few months ago I picked up a Logitech UE smart radio ($99 wireless internet clock radio).  While not 'audiophile' grade it has a very pleasant sound on it's own (I use it while reading), will also tap into music stored on your local network, can input one analog source, and provide good quality 3.5 mm analog output (headphones or powered speakers).  For the same price as an Apple Airport Express it includes speaker and decent controls.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2014, 02:41 pm »
You want cheap, I give you cheep! These have recently evolved into the third generation (G3), hence a great deal on G2. Biamplified active, not powered. A real woofer, not a midrange posing as one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=567757&Q=&is=REG&A=details

You want cheaper, I give you this cheeper recommendation

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

with

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-2020a-tripath-class-t-hi-fi-audio-mini-amplifier-with-power-supply--310-300

sonicboom

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2014, 02:58 pm »
Biamplified active, not powered.

:scratch: