Hyperion HPS-906

Roeland

Hyperion HPS-906
« on: 24 Aug 2006, 08:04 am »
Hey Everyone,

I just heard Hyperion will stop producing the 906 speaker  :cry: But noone at Hyperion seems willing to say why according to the importer  :? Anybody here have a clue? I just love my pair, it's easy one of the best monitors I've heard at the price and it was the only high end minitor in the range. Now they only have two smaller (585 and586) and cheaper monitors...

Roeland

Dracule1

• Facilitator
Re: Hyperion HPS-906
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2006, 01:44 am »
Hi Roeland,

I have a feeling it's because the 906s have not sold well compared to other models.  May be because it's considered "too expensive" for a monitor in the overall Hyperion lineup.  Unfortunately, you are the only one I know who actually owns the 906.

roark

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2006, 05:54 am »
The 906 might not be selling perhaps because the stands are included in the package.  Most bookshelf users buy bookshelf speakers due to limited space.  The stands add footprint and cost.  Perhaps they should just sell the speakers alone and let clients buy their own stands.

I've heard the 586es.  They are fantastic speakers for the money.  I hope Hyperion makes a floorstander version with an additional 6.5" or 8" bass driver!!!  Perhaps front firing ones instead of downward firing like those on the 733s  :thumb:

roark

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2006, 04:41 pm »
Hi Roeland,

Have you heard the 586s?? How is it compared to the 906s??

TIA :)

Hey Everyone,

I just heard Hyperion will stop producing the 906 speaker  :cry: But noone at Hyperion seems willing to say why according to the importer  :? Anybody here have a clue? I just love my pair, it's easy one of the best monitors I've heard at the price and it was the only high end minitor in the range. Now they only have two smaller (585 and586) and cheaper monitors...

Roeland

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2006, 06:09 am »
The 908 is essentially a 938 without the bass module - they share the same tweeter and midrange driver.  The cabinet of the 908 has been enlarged and ported to extend the bass response of the midrange.  So I think it's fair to say the 908 is pretty much the same in the midrange and up, but you won't get the bass impact/extension and dynamics of the 938s - this is according to Albert Wu of Hyperion when I was considering the 908 instead of the 938s.  The 585 and 586 do not use the same midrange/tweeters of the 908/938s, although they are based on the same technology.  I have heard both the 585 and 586 and was very impressed by the sound.  Of the many speakers I have heard in this price range, the only speaker that is in the same league is the Magnepan SMG, IMO.  Hope this helps.

roark

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2006, 04:35 pm »
Hi Dracule,

Perhaps the 908s you're referring to are actually the 906s??

The 906s and 938s, having the same midrange and high freq. drivers, makes complete sense to me.  What confuses me however is how the 586s are described in Hyperion's website.  Here's what it says:

"With the idea of a bookshelf speaker in mind, HWS-586 is designed to perform in/on a bookshelf or similar types of enclosed environment for most types of music.  Make no sacrifice in the audio performance, the HWS-586 utilizes center-mounted tweeter and midrange drivers, which are the same as those in HPS-906.  Best of all, the HWS-586 could also be floor-standing applications with matching stands.  HWS-586 is finished with high gloss piano lacquer in wood finish.  Custom colors are available at additional cost."

If the above is true, then the 586, 906 and 938s use the same midrange and high freq. drivers.

I hope some someone can shed light on this issue (perhaps someone from Hyperion as well).

Thanks for your help Dracule!  :thumb:

The 908 is essentially a 938 without the bass module - they share the same tweeter and midrange driver.  The cabinet of the 908 has been enlarged and ported to extend the bass response of the midrange.  So I think it's fair to say the 908 is pretty much the same in the midrange and up, but you won't get the bass impact/extension and dynamics of the 938s - this is according to Albert Wu of Hyperion when I was considering the 908 instead of the 938s.  The 585 and 586 do not use the same midrange/tweeters of the 908/938s, although they are based on the same technology.  I have heard both the 585 and 586 and was very impressed by the sound.  Of the many speakers I have heard in this price range, the only speaker that is in the same league is the Magnepan SMG, IMO.  Hope this helps.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2006, 01:34 am »
 :oops:  Sorry, my bad. I meant to say 906, not 908 - too many numbers for the models.  The statement in the website is wrong - I personally examined the drivers of the lower end models and they are not the same as the 938 and therefore the 906s, if what Albert told me was correct.  The 906s have the same copper short horn tweeters as the 938s, but if you look at the 586, its tweeter is very different - looks smaller and no copper. Also the 938/908 midrange has the carbon fiber look that is different than the 586s'.  The statement should say "same type" rather than "same".  I think something got lost in the translation.  Perhaps Albert can chime in and clarify.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2006, 02:05 am »
On second thought, I remember having the same conversation with Albert couple years ago about the drivers of the 586.  Although he initially told me they were the same drivers, he confessed they are not exactly the same as the 938s when I clarified my question and probed deeper.  I think he was using the term loosely (same = similar or same type) and was not trying to mislead me as there is some language barrier.  Remember, Hyperion speakers are known for their innovative speaker drivers.  Their cabinate design are good but standard in the high end industy - no exotic material or complex bracing, and their cross over design are not revolutionary although simple and elegant (1st or 2nd order, or no crossover for some of the drivers in the 968s) because of the exceptional drivers.  The cost of the drivers are expensive according to Albert as I do recall him telling me their high end drivers cost more than their small monitors.  So imagine using their top of the line drivers on a $600 monitor where the cost of drivers exceeds the cost of the monitors - just doesn't make economic sense.

roark

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2006, 05:27 am »
Thanks for the response Dracule.  That's my thinking, the drivers are likely to be different.  There are so many cases already where the website is wrong.

Cheers :)