HPS-938 Toe in ......

Nick Bassman

HPS-938 Toe in ......
« on: 5 Aug 2005, 05:04 pm »
Hey fellow Hyperion pals !!

I thought it might be interesting to see what everybody was doing regarding toe in with their Hyperions. I have just about run mine in now and will be re-doing my WASP set up and wondered what you guys have ended up with and why/how ?

Cheers

Nick

Dracule1

• Facilitator
HPS-938 Toe in ......
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2005, 09:57 pm »
Hi Nick,

I have about 1.25 to 1.5 inch of toe-in on mine.  I found this to give better center imaging and more wider stage.  If you toe-in too much, sound will get thinner and brighter.   But the people at Hyperion seem to like it with no toe in at all.  I think you may get better depth without toe-in.  Have you tried the Bright Star Isonode feet underneath the midrange/tweeter module?  I think you would be surprised with the results,  but it does need about day for the feet to settle in.

Nick Bassman

HPS-938 Toe in ......
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2005, 07:02 am »
Hi Dracule

That's interesting, I have mine at just a shade over 1.75" so not all that different to your preferred setting. I agree with you, too much toe in and things become too thin and the soundstage shrinks.

I haven't tried anything between the mid/woofer cabinets but it sounds like it could be worth some experimentation. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

Nick

Dracule1

• Facilitator
HPS-938 Toe in ......
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2005, 01:07 pm »
Nick,

I now have my toe-in pretty close to yours, and the sound seems a little more clear with slightly better imaging.  Have you tried fiddling with the spikes to adjust forward or backward tilt of the speaker?  I have mine set parallel to the floor. I guess I'll try that next.

Roy S

HPS-938 Toe in ......
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2005, 03:12 am »
Use 1.5" for mine. However must say the optimal depends a lot on room acoustics.