What to use to clean speakers with piano black finish?

Dracule1

• Facilitator
I have been using a damp cloth to clean finger prints and smudges on my speaker.  But there has to be a better way to clean and polish piano black finishes.  Anyone have suggestions?  Thanks.

rwolters

« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2005, 05:32 am »
In response to Dracule1's question regarding the best way to clean the finish of the Hyperion speakers, I can offer the following:

Last year when I received my HPS-938's I noticed the finish on one of the speaker cabinets had been dulled by rubbing against the cloth bag that it's enclosed in, inside the shipping box. I contacted Hyperion to see what they recommended I do to "repair" it. Before I received an answer from them I stopped by a store that refinishes and restores antique furniture. I wanted to know if they could tell me how to fix the "dulled" piano black finish on the speakers. They told me to get some automotive polish called Meguiar's Mirror Glaze, Show Car Glaze #7. I saw them using this product on a beautiful wooden dining room table that had a deep clear finish on it that was as clear as glass. This polish has a very fine pumice to it. They also said that if this product was not abrasive enough to remove the dulling, I should first try the same product in the #4 version, then follow-up with #7 (the lower the number the more abrasive it is). After applying the wax and rubbing by hand to remove the marks, the residue can be wiped off with a soft cloth. In the event some residue still remains they said it can be wiped off with another Meguiar's product called Quick Detailer Mist & Wipe. I 've used both of these products and they worked perfectly.

The Quick Detailer Mist & Wipe can also be used for routine cleaning and to remove fingerprints from the speakers.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2005, 12:06 pm »
Thanks!  I'll look into it.

Nick Bassman

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2005, 04:06 pm »
I dropped a note to James at Hyperion and he said they had tested many cleaners and the best was ........................... Pledge !!!

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2005, 09:52 pm »
Thanks Nick,

Will Pledge take out light scratches?  I might well go buy one and try it out since it's cheap.

ekovalsky

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2005, 10:11 pm »
For general cleaning and dusting, use a micro fiber cloth.  Anything else will cause microscratches in the outer clear coat.  If you've ever had a black car you'll know what I mean!

You can wash micro fiber cloths and reuse them many times, but wash them alone otherwise they'll accumulate lint from whatever else is with them.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2005, 10:35 pm »
ekovalsky,

Where can you buy the microfiber cloth?  Is there a brand?  Thanks.

ekovalsky

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2005, 10:46 pm »
Quote from: Dracule1
ekovalsky,

Where can you buy the microfiber cloth?  Is there a brand?  Thanks.

I buy them from http://pakshak.com.  I use them on my computer screen and car (washing, dusting, drying) as well as audio gear.

You can get them at most auto parts and hardware stores, also I think Target (maybe WalMart too) carries them.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2005, 01:50 am »
Thanks for the link. :)

fireman

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2005, 02:19 am »
If the piano black is in good condition, you can use a high quality auto wax with no abrasives or cleaaners in it. After the wax, to dust them use the micro fiber cloth and spray either Mequirs Quick Detail or Eagle One wipe and shine on the cloth and wipe down the speaker. If there are minor scratches, use the most mild scratch and swirl remover first, then wax over that. Good Luck.  I have piano black Continum AD's, I first used Pinacle Auto Wax first then The Eagle one to dust them. The Pinacle is quite expensive, about $60.00 for a jar. I also se it on my cars.

Captain Humble

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2005, 04:33 am »
I've been using a swisher to dust my piano black Usher 6391's and it does a very nice job.
Jeff

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2005, 02:31 pm »
Thank you all for posting.  I found another product that can be used on piano finishes.  Apparently, Bobby of Merlin speakers use this.

http://wizardsproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WP&Product_Code=001214&Category_Code=