Mish mash of parts and GR's A/V-0 Box design = amazing sound

skeeter99

Re: Mish mash of parts and GR's A/V-0 Box design = amazing sound
« Reply #20 on: 23 Dec 2010, 05:32 am »
aharami - the roundover is a 1/2".  The finish on the one pictured is just the Dayton Audio Maple vinyl wrap glued onto mdf - no veneer or finish on those ones.  Thanks for the compliments!

So that's vinyl? Looks really good, especially for vinyl and that's definitely not a knock on them!

mojave

« Reply #21 on: 27 Dec 2010, 03:47 pm »
Those Bird's Eye Anigre veneer speakers are beautiful. I have a pair of X-Omni's, but have an LS-6 kit ready to build out. I purchased the Palisander cabinets at the AV123 auction, but would like to lacquer them for more protection. I have a bunch of questions. :) How did you you apply the lacquer to the speakers you made for your boss? Did you keep the speakers vertical or did you lay them down and apply it to one horizontal side at a time? How long did it take to dry? What grit sandpaper did you use between coats? How many coats did you apply?

Beatcoaster

« Reply #22 on: 27 Dec 2010, 09:59 pm »
Mojave - The laquer was sprayed on via rattlecans - but it became clear that I need to invest in an HVLP gun so I can use my air compressor and save a bit of $$$ over the long term by using that and bulk laquer.  During the first couple coats the veneer would soak it up pretty good, so I found that doing these coats a bit thick and leaving the boxes horizontal would let it soak in and keep from running.  The annoyance here came from some spots of the veneer soaking it up more than others, and at times even some bubbles would form and would leave little "volcanoes" once dried - these would then need additional sanding.  Sometimes a 2nd heavy coat was needed but I shyed away from that on the second speaker and it turned out just the same.  This process took the most amount of time since I could only do one side at a time and have to wait a night until I could flip it and do the other.  Once I got all 4 sides done I would sand it pretty heavily with 200 to even it out.  I then placed the box vertically and rotated it as I did light coats, slowly building it up.  After 3 lights coats(10mins between) I would let it sit over night to dry completely, and then hit it with 200 again the next night and do another round of 2 to 3 coats.  At this point I typically had it built up enough to do a very light 200, then a wet 500, wet 1000, wet 2000.  I then wiped it all down, and used a orbital buffer and foam pad with some polishing compound.  Lastly was a hand wax...

I'm sure there are other approaches I could have done, and am welcome to any insight from others, but this labor intensive laquer method did turn out a good finish, it just took forever.  My next set will use an awesome looking Mozambique veneer that has some sap stripes in it and it will be interesting to see how the wood does/doesn't soak up the finish.

Beatcoaster

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2011, 04:40 pm »
Here are some photos of the latest version.  I ordered a couple Vifa XT's and the difference they made was quite stunning - these are the perfect tweeter.  The finish this time is Mozambique that has some slight figuring to it at certain angles and looks awesome.  I had cut the mdf for the av123 tweeter initially, but then decided on the Vifa and had to do something with the recessed hole that was slightly bigger than the Vifa trim ring, so I laminated veneer on its end and sort of made a Mozambique plywood circular frame around the tweet that turned out pretty slick.  The sound on these with the Vifa is now catapulted beyond what I would have expected.  Over the past few days I have been listening to multiple movies and a wide variety of music and they don't dissapoint at all.

skeeter99

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2011, 06:22 pm »
Mike those look awesome!! Can't wait to hear them next week powered by some toobey goodness  :thumb: Looks like it'll probably be Tuesday I get all the gear!!

jackman

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2011, 07:33 pm »
You are a real talent!  those are beautiful looking speakers.  Congratulations!

chip

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2011, 07:35 pm »
Yeah man those look awesome!  :thumb:

Beatcoaster

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2011, 08:09 pm »
Hehe, thanks guys, I am really happy with them.  Last night my wife asked if I could redo the LS's in the Mozambique veneer since she likes it so much - to which I replied "only if you want me in the garage for the next 3 months" :)

sl_1800

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jan 2011, 03:27 am »
Very nice work!! :thumb:

skeeter99

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:12 am »
Mike,

Thanks for bringing these today! They look fantastic and they really do image extremely well. You've done a tremendous job. I want to come by and listen to them on your system sometime. We didn't get enough time with them today and I'd love to really give them a good listen  :thumb:

Scott

Beatcoaster

« Reply #30 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:01 am »
Thanks Skeet - ya, I'll have to have you over sometime to get a better listen and crack some sheetrock with the LS's...;)  The gtg was a good time, thanks for hosting it!

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
« Reply #31 on: 3 Feb 2011, 04:23 am »
Mike, Great looking Job you did there bud, you should be proud of your work. Did you build the LS's also? R.K.

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
« Reply #32 on: 3 Feb 2011, 06:01 am »
By the way, where did you buy your veneer? R.K.

Beatcoaster

« Reply #33 on: 3 Feb 2011, 07:13 am »
No, the LS's were from AV123, but definitely my inspiration for trying wood veneers, that's for sure.  I got my veneers off of ebay, since there is a wide selection with reasonable prices.

freerider

« Reply #34 on: 4 Feb 2011, 05:41 pm »
Thanks Skeet - ya, I'll have to have you over sometime to get a better listen and crack some sheetrock with the LS's...;)  The gtg was a good time, thanks for hosting it!

There was an audiophile gathering in my next of the woods?  How can I get on that list?  :scratch:

skeeter99

« Reply #35 on: 4 Feb 2011, 05:42 pm »
There was an audiophile gathering in my next of the woods?  How can I get on that list?  :scratch:

Yup, at my place last weekend. Details here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87309.0

freerider

« Reply #36 on: 4 Feb 2011, 06:16 pm »
Aww...it's bummer I missed that. I'm just over in Lynnwood.

skeeter99

« Reply #37 on: 4 Feb 2011, 06:21 pm »
Aww...it's bummer I missed that. I'm just over in Lynnwood.

I still have all the stuff at my place if you care for a listen  :thumb:

tesseract

« Reply #38 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:54 am »
Beatcoaster, those are beautiful. Good job, man.

Any X-over changes with the Vifa tweeter?

Beatcoaster

« Reply #39 on: 9 Feb 2011, 06:01 pm »
The lot of ref-1 crossovers I got from the AV123 auction I am using in these was made for the Vifa XT tweeter so it is a perfect match.  This tweeter coupled with the 4 ohm 6.5" Peerless woofer(since I can't find a source for Atohms anywhere) is as close as I have gotten to making them really sing.  I have these as my surround speakers right now and they are fricking awesome.