N3S upright vs. laying on long side

bdp24

N3S upright vs. laying on long side
« on: 2 Sep 2013, 12:09 pm »
I'm so not into HT that I've never heard a center channel speaker! But in looking at the N3S, I see that it is used both as a center and as left and right mains, laying on it's long side as a center and upright as mains. I've read about comb filtering, etc. when multiple drivers covering the same frequencies are employed, so my question is: Does the sound quality (including, but not limited to, imaging) of a pair of N3S' suffer when they are placed on their long sides and used as L & R mains? And does the horizontal location of the two 5" drivers on each side of the tweeter create a problem when the speakers are listened to off axis?

Danny Richie

Re: N3S upright vs. laying on long side
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2013, 03:28 pm »
Because of the low crossover point and close center to center spacing of the woofers, the N3S is much better than most MTM's laid on their side. You will have a pretty smooth off axis response up to about 20 degrees off axis. After that or around that range you can start to see some woofer to woofer cancellation starting to occur.

Most people don't sit that far off axis to watch a movie. So they handle that roll pretty well.

bdp24

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2013, 03:57 pm »
The main thing I'm wondering is.....if the 3NS is to be used as left and right main speakers (with a sub for each), will they produce much better sound if placed vertically rather than horizontally? I ask because I have never heard an MTM-style speaker, but I have heard negative comments about the sound of them in general.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2013, 04:21 pm »
The main thing I'm wondering is.....if the 3NS is to be used as left and right main speakers (with a sub for each), will they produce much better sound if placed vertically rather than horizontally? I ask because I have never heard an MTM-style speaker, but I have heard negative comments about the sound of them in general.

They will image better as left and right mains if placed vertically.

There is nothing negative that I can think of in regards to a MTM design verses any other configuration. It's more about implementation.

JonnyFive

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2013, 05:39 pm »

My front 3 are N3Ss with the Sonic caps + platinum bypass caps built by Ron.  They're a great speaker, they image well, and the sound quality is incredible for the price.  As Danny stated, the main issue with the MTM configuration is listening off-axis and getting M/M cancellation.  Stacked on end as I have them, they are exactly at ear height so this is not an issue.  I wish I had them in TL design so I'd have more integration options with the subwoofer.

bdp24

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2013, 12:28 am »
Re-reading my second posting above, I realize I meant to say that I have heard negative comments about MTM style speakers WHEN USED HORIZONTALLY. So vertical it is! Thanks Danny and Jonny.