1' x 4' 4" bass traps

murphy11

1' x 4' 4" bass traps
« on: 8 Feb 2006, 11:22 am »
I was wondering how 1' x 4'  x 4" OC 703 bass traps might perform in corners vs. the more common 2' width.

Here's my challenge/thought process. I want to put up temporary traps for late night listening when the Mrs is asleep and am thinking about hanging smaller traps from the ceiling and storing them during the day. (listening room is living room and traps don't score high on WAF)

The advantage of 1' for me is they'd be lighter for hanging, smaller and easier to store and if I ever got approval to keep them up full time, 1' fits tighter into the corners and doesn' t extend out as much in a small room which makes it easier to place in a small room.

Any thoughts on performance? I've seen the 8th nerve products which fit tighter into the corners and would think the 1' would work, but maybe others might have opinions.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
1' x 4' 4" bass traps
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2006, 12:18 pm »
They will certainly provide some benefit - just not as much (specifically half) and they won't go quite as deep as the 2' wide ones.  Not only are they narrower but by default, they have less space behind them in the corner.  But hey, they're WAY better than not having ANY bass control.

This is not specific to 703 or any DIY products.  ANY bass absorber counts on the principles of mass/thickness/spacing to work appropriately.  Also, bass control unfortunately requires a certain amount of square footage - hency my comment about a 'trap' half the size working half as well.  Now, if you could do these in double the corners, then at least you get the surface area back even if you don't get the depth.

One last thing, if you can cut them at an angle in the back to keep them tucked tighter, you might consider goint 6" thick to help compensate for the loss of distance.

carusoracer

Re: 1' x 4' 4" bass traps
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2006, 05:28 pm »
Quote from: murphy11
I was wondering how 1' x 4'  x 4" OC 703 bass traps might perform in corners vs. the more common 2' width.

Here's my challenge/thought process. I want to put up temporary traps for late night listening when the Mrs is asleep and am thinking about hanging smaller traps from the ceiling and storing them during the day. (listening room is living room and traps don't score high on WAF)

The advantage of 1' for me is they'd be lighter for hanging, smaller and easier to store and if I ever got approval to ke ...

Nice...I thought I was the only one out there with a Living room slash listening room with Extreme WAF. :oops:  I would luv to hire the elves that would come at night and do this quietely as well, but they cannot leave any marks onth walls :lol:  great minds think alike...

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
1' x 4' 4" bass traps
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2006, 08:27 pm »
Would either of your wives be okay with cylinder style acoustic treatments?

Some find the round curves more pleasing visually.
Plus you can have your wife help pick out fabrics.
This gives her some shared control in the situation and everyone wins.
:D

murphy11

1' x 4' 4" bass traps
« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2006, 12:02 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys. If I can find OC703 locally, I think I'm gonna do the smaller (maybe thicker) corner traps. My living room is the main room as you walk into our house and traps will have to be out of sight during the day.

If I do the project I'll be sure to post pics. I've done challenging projects before (flush mount rocket dipoles to basement ceiling) http://www.av123forum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1093&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500 so this one might be kinda fun :)

ryno

1' x 4' 4" bass traps
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2006, 12:30 am »
With this size corner traps, 1' wide by 4' high, in OC703, do you want the edges touching the walls, or a gap?
Ryan

Glenn K

1' x 4' 4" bass traps
« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2006, 03:50 am »
Quote from: ryno
With this size corner traps, 1' wide by 4' high, in OC703, do you want the edges touching the walls, or a gap?
Ryan

The more space you put behind it the better.. Touching the edge of panel to the wall when straddled does not add  to the proformance of the panel...

Glenn

DSK

1' x 4' 4" bass traps
« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2006, 06:17 am »
My living room is the main room as you walk into our house and traps will have to be out of sight during the day.

So is mine and I have the same WAF constraints  :cry:  

You might want to consider an idea I came up with here for a corner trap that is 2-sided, reasonably broadband and INVISIBLE!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25454&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
1' x 4' 4" bass traps
« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2006, 10:33 pm »
Quote from: DSK
My living room is the main room as you walk into our house and traps will have to be out of sight during the day.

So is mine and I have the same WAF constraints  :cry:  

You might want to consider an idea I came up with here for a corner trap that is 2-sided, reasonably broadband and INVISIBLE!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25454&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

Very clever indeed!!  :D