Looking for a list of DACs w/I2S inputs

kittyboy

« on: 5 May 2006, 06:13 pm »
I'm intrigued by what I'm hearing about the I2S converter and it makes sense to me, but I'd like to know which DACs would be compatible and I'm not having much luck on google.

What are some I2S compatible DACs?

Thanks.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2006, 06:33 pm »
Here is a link to Steve's announcement concerning I2S Off Ramp and qualifying DACs.   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=24996

Marbles has Perpetual Tech P-3A with I2S off ramp.  Steve is modding my Northstar 192 DAC right now for it to work with I2S off ramp.  Apparently Northstar pin assignment on RJ45 connector did not match that of Off Ramp.   Of course, Steve is doing some other mods as well while he has the unit.  :wink:  I think he is just about done..........

kittyboy

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2006, 07:27 pm »
What about Audio Logic?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2006, 07:39 pm »
You would have to ask Steve -- e-mail is the best -- but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I would get Steve to build the auxillary I2S input (RJ 45) on the DAC to make sure it works with off ramp.

kittyboy

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2006, 07:46 pm »
Thanks.  One of the reasons I'm asking is because that dac comes w/I2S.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2006, 07:55 pm »
I know it runs I2S native but all the inputs were SPDIF or AES/EBU. Since Steve uses RJ45 terminated cable you would need the optional I2S input to match that for use with I2S off ramp.  That is why I suggested that you let Steve install the optional I2S input if you are to get this unit.

kittyboy

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2006, 08:45 pm »
Thanks, woodsyi.  

I was tempted by the unit because I thought it would be plug and play.

Are any units plug and play (the perpetul, perhaps?) or do they all need modding?  Also, can I run the perpetual w/o its P1, ie, would a system of freeway/P3a be a complete sytem?

Thanks again.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2006, 03:07 am »
I don't think any unit would be plug and play.  There is an Audio Logic DAC being sold on the 'Gon along with a Northstar transport.  Someone obviously installed an I2S input with RJ45 termination for this DAC since since that's what Northstar uses.  Even if you were to get this particular unit, I would still send it to Steve to make sure the pin assignments are correct with I2S off ramp.  Perpetual also uses a proprietary I2S cable that won't fit I2S off ramp.  Steve mods the P3 with a RJ45 connector.  I would think P3 is all you need with the I2S working as a transport of your music on your PC server.

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2006, 05:47 am »
The DAC's that are compatible with the Off-Ramp I2S are:

Perpetual P-3A
Northstar 192
Audio Logic (requires changes to the Off-Ramp I2S)
Benchmark DAC-1 (with the I2S mods for $500)

The Northstar DAC will work with the stock Off-Ramp I2S, but it will sound better if the I2S inputs are modded and the Off-Ramp I2S is changed to 5V signalling.  This is the Northstar version.

The Audiologic DAC will also need 5V signalling and 256fs.  The Off-Ramp I2S can be changed for both of these.  This is the Audio Logic version.

Steve N.

kittyboy

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2006, 05:27 pm »
Thanks, Steve.

So am I to understand from your post that the P3a works w/o modification?

Will I need the P1a as well?

Thanks.

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2006, 05:41 pm »
Quote from: kittyboy
Thanks, Steve.

So am I to understand from your post that the P3a works w/o modification?

Will I need the P1a as well?

Thanks.

Yes, without mods, although it will sound better with I2S mods. No need for P-1A unless you need room correction.

Steve N.