trying to get back into digital

guf

trying to get back into digital
« on: 25 Feb 2021, 12:44 am »
This is me currently trying to get my digital up and going after my roon core computer died. Pulling out old stuff. Reinstalling. Getting more frustrated by the minute.

avta

Re: trying to get back into digital
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2021, 03:21 pm »
Is that Mac Mini still working? Where are you trying to put the Roon core now? Hang in there you'll get it all back.

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2021, 03:47 pm »
get a bluesound node 2i... easy peasy

use the digital out to feed your favorite dac

Bullitt5094

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2021, 04:00 pm »
So what is the problem or question? Are you just venting (that's OK!!) or are you looking for alternate solutions other than a PC based Roon Core install. I've embraced the PC solutions due to its flexibility and ability to upgrade. But an easy route would be a NUC with ROCK or a Nucleus. My PC has gone through several upgrades including dedicated audio OS, SOTA usb card, linear power supply. All have made an audible difference.  Plus it doesn't need to be dedicated to only Roon or audio either.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2021, 04:34 pm »
  IMHO ditch the laptop. Buy a transport for CDs and a streaming/server. Sounds better in our experience. I prefer useing the transport/DAC cpmbo for my  best sound at home.

charles

skifasterslc

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2021, 04:41 pm »
Yes a Node 2i out to your favorite dac, if I can do it, you can, I am very happy with the sound and ease of use

whell

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2021, 05:04 pm »
get a bluesound node 2i... easy peasy

use the digital out to feed your favorite dac

I guess I'll "third" this suggestion.  Ease of setup is a hallmark of this option.  Plugged it into my home network, told it where to go find my music files, and it was up and running as soon as it scanned my Music folder on the network. 

The DAC in the Node 2i is decent, but an instant upgrade might include connecting the Node 2i's coaxial or optical output to an external DAC if you have one. 

dpatters

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2021, 10:12 pm »
Spin CDs and albums and all will be well. Kick the computer to the curb.

Don P

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2021, 12:26 am »
This is me currently trying to get my digital up and going after my roon core computer died. Pulling out old stuff. Reinstalling. Getting more frustrated by the minute.

Hey!

Man! Those tube components there look sweet!

Anyway, I've never got into digital PC based play back or streaming. I'm still spinning my CDs in a Sony CDR-W33 CD Recorder as transport in to my DIY TDA1543 NOS DAC. Still sound great to me. 

Buddy

JDoyle

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2021, 01:02 am »

Frustrated?  With that gear??   You’re joking, right?

guf

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2021, 04:39 am »
I was mostly venting you guys.  thanks! after a year of vinyl listening and trying to get everything going after neglecting for so long has been a pain. My windows machine I think has a bad motherboard. so setting up my old uptone Mac mini, finding space, updating Roon.  Net working. then hope everything works.... its not. I can't get Roon to load everything. it keeps dropping and hanging on loading the library. And I'm just not on tech mode. I tried core mode and server mode. I have lots of options for a fix I have to consider how far I want to take it. I'm really enjoying the records. So a modest solution maybe a better option that going all out.

One of those sonic transporters maybe be the way to go?

Craig B

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2021, 12:44 pm »
I've had a Node 2i for about a year and a half and can attest to the wonderful job it does, with only a minimal amount of fuss. But the one downside, which I didn't realize at the time I bought it, is the fact that its ability to scan, find and play content on my server (iMac) is limited to what's stored locally on the server's internal drive. Over 99% of my library, which is mostly ripped CDs that are managed through iTunes (or whatever it's called these days), is on an external drive, attached to the iMac via USB, simply due to its size (about 2000 albums, mostly in ALAC, but some AIFF). It just won't fit on the internal drive, which is where I keep my very small collection of hi-res downloads (about 30 albums).

In practical terms, that's not a huge failure, as I can use Apple Remote on my mobile devices to get that USB-drive content and push it to the Node via AirPlay. As I understand it, AirPlay is limited to standard redbook resolution, but that's not a big problem, as that's all I have in the iTunes library. It's just that to listen, I have to use a second app (Apple Remote) rather than the BluOS app that accesses everything else the Node plays - the hi-res files stored on the server's internal drive, streaming services, radio, etc. A minor pain, and definitely a "first-world problem."

I should add that simply acknowledging the shortcoming doesn't mean they're working on a solution. I haven't checked in with them about the problem in over a year. Maybe they're fixing it, maybe they aren't. I doubt it would be high priority for them.

avta

« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2021, 03:20 pm »
I recently had a similar system as yours including Roon. Very happy with it. I went to an iMac running Roon Core. A few thoughts. Uninstall and reinstall Roon on your Mac Mini. After reinstalling Roon run First Aid on your Mac HD from the Mac OS Utility folder. If possible put all your music files in one folder on your Mac. Then set that pathway in the Storage section of Settings. With your equipment on go to the Settings>Audio section and select your output device.I can't tell from your picture how your system is connected but I'm guessing that you would connect the Mac Mini USB to your DAC. I have a wireless system using Devialet Phantom Reactors so there's no cables.If you have a Tidal or Quboz account you can link them as well. For simplicity try listening to some internet radio in the Live Radio section on the left margin of Roon. There is a very nice Roon Community which allows for feedback from other users as well as Roon Support.   https://community.roonlabs.com   Keep us posted on how things are going. I'm sure you will be able to enjoy your system if you stick with it.

skalos

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2021, 04:54 pm »

Take a look at the other recent topics on the subject, such as, "New Music Server, Squeezebox Touch Died".  They may help.

Good luck!

sunnydaze

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2021, 07:12 pm »
Yes a Node 2i out to your favorite dac, if I can do it, you can, I am very happy with the sound and ease of use

+1     :thumb:

I'm a complete novice / ignoramous when it comes to modern computer / digital audio. 

The Node 2i is designed for guys like us.  It is painless and a pleasure to use and I have never had any glitches.   I don't use it to play any stored music, just streaming.  Run into my Border Patrol DAC it sounds great.

Love the BluOS app.  When I upgrade I'm gonna makes sure to stay with it.   Is NAD the only one that uses it?

Very positive review of NAD C658:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c04EJODliww

guf

« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2021, 07:36 pm »

updated. I set up this sonicTransporter i5. After a few days of tinkering I have it dialed in. Pulling songs from my NAS, up sampling them with embedded HQP, powered by my uptone LPS, and sending to to my mRendu. Simple ish because I was able to use lots of my stuff I already had, only purchasing the STi5.  oh and using Roon to control it all. Very happy with sound , and easy of use. The upgraded hardware components seem make up for the less powerful upsampling.

JDoyle

« Reply #16 on: 4 Mar 2021, 07:58 pm »
Very nice!  How did you decide on the Lampi? 
Give us a Mini review of that please  :D

guf

« Reply #17 on: 21 Mar 2021, 05:47 pm »
Very nice!  How did you decide on the Lampi? 
Give us a Mini review of that please  :D

hey. I've had a Lampizator for years before the big 7. And this since 2015 with a few upgrades by sending it back. I love it. It's the  longest I've ever had a piece of gear.