Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?
« Reply #180 on: 29 Nov 2013, 04:40 pm »
I just looked at mine and there are 3 dots so I think whoever told you differently may have been starting the holidays a bit early.
If the speakers are by a window, at certain hours during the day everything behind the socks is visible, especially with the white cloth, less so with the black. 
I'll see if the cloth is different for the aluminum trim models but I believe the MDF for all has a recess in both sides for the trim to slot into.
I'm pretty sure the trim pieces are more for decoration (and protection from accidental bumps into walls and such) than anything else.
Mine have wood strips and those little pieces aren't going to do anything for the sound one way or the other.
From my very limited experience with aftermarket stands they seem to increase the bass output which you'll have to judge for yourself as every room and set up will be different.

P.S.
Having heard MGbert's speakers I'd say they're smaller versions of the 1.7s.
Same sound, smaller package.

Davey

« Reply #181 on: 29 Nov 2013, 05:07 pm »
I'm looking into the 1.7, so I called Magnepan to ask about the black discs that are visible through the grill cloth. I asked about their placement, and the woman said "Right, there are two on one and three on the other in a pair". In all the pictures I've seen there are three on both, but in slightly different places. First, are they highly visible because of camera flash, or is the cloth really that transparent? I saw a listing with prices, and the version without the side panels was described as having different cloth than the ones with side panels. True? Do all the 1.7's have the dots in haphazard locations? Having a little case of OCD, I wouldn't like looking at left and right speakers that aren't symmetrical! Do the side panels hide a seam? Do they help make the frame a little stiffer? And what's the verdict on the Sound Anchor stands---effective, and worth the dough? Thanks---EJ.

Steve is correct.  The dots are to "distribute" resonances so the system will not drone at one particular frequency.
They're certainly not "haphazard" in location and, by design, they should NOT be symmetrical for left/right speakers.  This is part of the engineering design of the systems.
The number of dots depends upon the speaker model.  The MMG's have a single dot on one speaker and three on the other.

Cheers,

Dave.

bdp24

« Reply #182 on: 1 Dec 2013, 12:32 pm »
Great, thanks guys. I managed to see a pair in the flesh yesterday, and that explained a lot too.

klao

« Reply #183 on: 2 Dec 2013, 03:36 am »
Below is the link to HIFI ZINE's visit of Magnepan facility.  There's a picture of the "buttons".  :)

http://www.hifizine.com/2013/09/magnepan-inc-a-tiny-giant/

TheButler

« Reply #184 on: 2 Dec 2013, 02:25 pm »
Hello!

I have a pair of new gen MMG's (March 2013 production). Is it okay to EQ in a bit of boost at 50Hz (say +3 dB) without harming the bass panel due to over driving? No chance of my amp clipping - it's 525W @ 4 ohms. I play the speakers at levels less than 98 dB.

I have a Klark Teknik DN370 and a 1/6th octave RTA. I was pleasantly surprised how flat the speakers were in the range of 250 - 16,000 Hz. Kudos to Magneplaner!

I use the EQ to smooth out speaker response in my room (12 x 20 x 9).

Hasse

• "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" - FZ
« Reply #185 on: 2 Dec 2013, 04:37 pm »
I'm pretty sure the trim pieces are more for decoration (and protection from accidental bumps into walls and such) than anything else.
Mine have wood strips and those little pieces aren't going to do anything for the sound one way or the other.
Wendell sez there is no difference in the ALU vs. wood, they are only there for decoration.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #186 on: 3 Dec 2013, 12:04 am »
As a heads up, I think Wendell is on vacation hunting polar bears with a shotgun or something like that.
Trudgin' across the tundra (mile after mile).
You'd think he'd take his wife to someplace with palm trees but nope!

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #187 on: 4 Dec 2013, 06:29 am »
No way you hunt polar bears with a shotgun...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #188 on: 4 Dec 2013, 10:35 am »
I was just kidding.
I'd imagine they get a little ornery with a backside full of buck shot.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #189 on: 4 Dec 2013, 09:14 pm »
There's no change in the fabrics for the 1.7s (off white, black or dark grey), just trim piece options.

bdp24

« Reply #190 on: 5 Dec 2013, 03:54 am »
The dealer who demo'd them for me said they were not available without the side pieces. I thought they were priced $1999 without and $2099 with aluminum sides, right?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #191 on: 5 Dec 2013, 10:05 am »
I'm  unsure as to the pricing but they are NOT available without any side trim.

bdp24

« Reply #192 on: 5 Dec 2013, 11:27 pm »
Okay, thanks Steve. The trim actually looks real nice, making for a "finished" look. The silver on black makes the panels a perfect match with the Emotiva face plates!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #193 on: 6 Dec 2013, 12:17 am »
It would match Sonic Frontiers gear, too.
Hmmm...

project_h20

« Reply #194 on: 31 May 2014, 02:20 am »
Hi Steve,

I have recently bought the 1.7 from the australian dealer (Mcleans) and one of the feet is not upright as shown in the attached:
Hence when installed the feet is at a different angle than the others resulting in an unbalanced speaker. This is like putting 2 of those provided spacers on one feet and none on the other. Is this a normal occurrence?

Danne

« Reply #195 on: 1 Jun 2014, 06:48 pm »
Hi Steve,

I have recently bought the 1.7 from the australian dealer (Mcleans) and one of the feet is not upright as shown in the attached:
Hence when installed the feet is at a different angle than the others resulting in an unbalanced speaker. This is like putting 2 of those provided spacers on one feet and none on the other. Is this a normal occurrence?

I have that on one of the 1.7's as well.

project_h20

« Reply #196 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:48 am »
I have that on one of the 1.7's as well.
How did you resolve yours? Did you get a new foot?

bdp24

« Reply #197 on: 2 Jun 2014, 02:02 am »
So maybe we/they should start calling it 0.7, as a follow-on to the  0.5 & 0.6.
I recently acquired a pair of 0.5s (have yet to update the crossover to 0.6 spec), and have been quite happy with them.

Tim

I actually just heard the new .7's at T.H.E. Show yesterday. Wendell did a programmed 10 minute demo of the speakers, and they sounded very good, I thought. There were no questions allowed, and one group was ushered out as another was ushered in. But I did manage to ask if the Magnepan bass panels, one close to each .7, were on, and he said yes. So the demo was really of the .7's and the bass "subs". I also asked what the retail price would be, and the answer was $1400-$1600. I had heard many box speakers at the show, with the typical small, low-height sound obviously coming out of the pair of boxes, and the .7's sounded, in comparison, much more like live music. Another Magnepan bargain!

Danne

« Reply #198 on: 6 Jun 2014, 05:19 pm »

No I settled with putting something under the foot to keep the speaker from wobbling. Could be improved..

berni

« Reply #199 on: 7 Jun 2014, 07:29 am »
It is not straight because of the weld below. I assume that the part of the feet contacting the floor is uneven also. Take it out , put a larger tube on the aluminium feet and pull it out.
Easy task, just be careful not to stratch the paint.
These feet are made pateticly and they still dont want to change it..