Saying hello and asking which speaker???

winston1156

Saying hello and asking which speaker???
« on: 17 Dec 2010, 04:07 pm »
Hello:
New guy here.  I have been reading up on new speakers.   Wonder if I can get some input.  My room (office) is 15 wide v 18 long with 9.5 ft ceiling. 
I sit at a desk and am about 12-13 feet from the front (speaker) wall.
Equipment... is mcintosh c2200 and 2102 (100watts per channel tube).
My issues: I need to place the speakers close against the wall, and about 5 feet apart.  My preference is speakers that sound great at quiet and medium volumes.  I'm tired of my no bass monitors (b+w 705s).
I have not worked out a budget and I don't really care about speaker size within reason.  These speakers should match the tweeter quality in my 705's.
Also, the Pharos looked interesting but it seems nobody has them.   
hmm??

jsalk

Re: Saying hello and asking which speaker???
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2010, 04:22 pm »
I'll let others make specific recommendations, but I thought I'd comment on your last observation.  The Pharos was designed specifically for a single client who had some very specific needs.  It is a high-sensitivity design and does a very nice job with lower power tube amps.  It will not play as deep as many of our other models (the nature of high-sensitivity designs in reasonable sized cabinets).

If you need to place the speakers close to the wall, you will want to look at transmission line models like the SongTowers, HT1-TL's and HT2-TL's.  These are far more flexible in terms of placement than just about any ported speaker.  And you can have the terminus (port) placed on the front of the speaker for even more placement flexibility in your application.

- Jim

winston1156

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2010, 04:29 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply!  I will wait to see what everyone thinks.   One other thought... since i sit behind  a desk, it seems to me that a 'taller' placement seems to help.   

ratso

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2010, 04:44 pm »
depending on how low you want to go (both price and bass wise) i would imagine you are about to get a lot of recommendations for songtowers/songbirds. can't go wrong either way BTW.

winston1156

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2010, 04:50 pm »
"depending on how low you want to go (both price and bass wise) i would imagine you are about to get a lot of recommendations for songtowers/songbirds. can't go wrong either way BTW.
well I want these to be the 'last' speakers I use in the office so if I have to save up, I will do so.    Thanks thanks and thanks!!

ratso

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2010, 04:58 pm »
realistically you're not going to get really killer bass at low levels anyways (and i can't imagine an office setting where you would need/want it). i would do a front ported songbird but that's just me. would be plenty of bass for that size space and setting. again i'm sure others will chime in also (just a slow day at work so i am monopolizing your thread, sorry).

martyo

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2010, 05:10 pm »
It's simple, the HT2TL's. You have a 100watt tube amp and you have the 705's. The tweeter in the HT2's is superior and you call an F3 in the mid 40's "no bass" (me too). The HT2's F3 is in the low 30's. And the speakers have the height too. It'll be sweet. 8)

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2010, 05:38 pm »
depending on how low you want to go (both price and bass wise) i would imagine you are about to get a lot of recommendations for songtowers/songbirds. can't go wrong either way BTW.

+1

muu

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2010, 05:43 pm »
How close is close to the wall?  My L speaker is about 15in straight to the wall (~2ft on a diagonal the way it's set up) and does fine.  When I auditioned my HT1-TLs previous owner had it pretty close to a wall w/ a bass trap to its rear.  If you really, really need it right up against the wall then you'll still want the front port.

And don't forget about speaker depth.  It's your money, but if I were you I'd choose the HT1-TL (10" depth) over the HT2-TL (17" depth) and place it 7inches forward.

As for satisfying low-level listening...  try some of the newer receivers w/ Audyssey Dynamic EQ.  You'll only be out 50 bucks for return shipping from a place like Amazon if you neither liked the results nor the solid state sound.  Honestly I dont think you'll be able to resolve your issues w/o some sort of EQing done, regardless of your speaker choice.

winston1156

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:07 pm »
6 inches from the wall is about perfect... 8 is pushing it a little.   10 is too much.

Very interesting suggestions.    I really appreciate them all.

winston1156

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:41 pm »
So, the ht3 is too much?????

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:47 pm »
So, the ht3 is too much?????

When I talked about my space issues (I'm limited to about 28 inches from front of speaker to wall) with Jim he indicated that the HT3 would get too boomy that close to the wall.  He suggested I go with a TL design instead.

winston1156

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2010, 06:48 pm »
When I talked about my space issues (I'm limited to about 28 inches from front of speaker to wall) with Jim he indicated that the HT3 would get too boomy that close to the wall.  He suggested I go with a TL design instead.
That makes sense.   

martyo

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2010, 07:23 pm »
I have the HT3's and my brother has the HT2TL's in 3/4" which brings the depth down to 15". The HT3's need plenty of room to breathe, mine are 30" from the back wall (to the rear of the speaker) in addition to treatments.  The HT2's almost have the bass of the HT3's, but are much less sensitive to placement. The HT2TL's are much closer to the HT3's in performance than to the SongTowers. There are more differences than the bass. And I think the spec's on the Salk site are incorrect saying the F3 of the HT1TL's and the HT2TL's are the same.  8)

winston1156

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2010, 08:00 pm »
I have the HT3's and my brother has the HT2TL's in 3/4" which brings the depth down to 15". The HT3's need plenty of room to breathe, mine are 30" from the back wall (to the rear of the speaker) in addition to treatments.  The HT2's almost have the bass of the HT3's, but are much less sensitive to placement. The HT2TL's are much closer to the HT3's in performance than to the SongTowers. There are more differences than the bass. And I think the spec's on the Salk site are incorrect saying the F3 of the HT1TL's and the HT2TL's are the same.  8)
I would agree.... I looked at your gallery... NICE! 
Based on what people are saying I'd probably look at the ht1 or ht2tls......
At least so far!

martyo

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2010, 08:26 pm »
I would check with Jim on those bass specs. It would be a shame to get something and not completely take care of your bass longing. But you do have to pay for those bass notes. :lol: I've made that mistake. For me, everything can be there in the mids and highs, but without the foundation it is out of balance. A front port might serve you well.
Happy decision making!! 8)

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2010, 08:30 pm »

The F3's are actually quite close.  You don't gain bass extension by paralleling woofers.  That just ramps up the same response profile so that the speaker will play louder for a given drive level, and each woofer will travel less for a given volume level.  But that does cut down on harmonic distortion, so the bass will sound cleaner.  As usual, specs tell only part of the story. 

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2010, 08:38 pm »
Welcome to AC, Winston.

If I read the op correctly, isn't anyone concerned that he is 12 feet from the speakers and the speakers are only 5 feet apart?

- David.

winston1156

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2010, 08:44 pm »
Welcome to AC, Winston.

If I read the op correctly, isn't anyone concerned that he is 12 feet from the speakers and the speakers are only 5 feet apart?

- David.
Thanks.
p.s.  I'M CONCERNED!

koiman

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2010, 08:49 pm »
Martyo,
I was looking at you gallery and can't believe that I saw that you have the same exact Zenith Radio that I have, you even have the same clock over your TV as I have. I also have a Pair of HT3 speakers. I guess we have a lot in common.
 :o
Lee