Salk Veracity HT-3s arrived!

audiojerry

« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2006, 12:31 am »
Thanks for the input, Curly.
Curly Woods - I get it! Very nice looking veneers, there Curly. Have you used any of those luscious veneers to build your own speakers?

Curly Woods

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2006, 12:40 am »
Quote from: audiojerry
Thanks for the input, Curly.
Curly Woods - I get it! Very nice looking veneers, there Curly. Have you used any of those luscious veneers to build your own speakers?

We do not currently offer veneers, just the hardwood lumber.  In the future we will also offer veneers though.

No time anymore to woodwork.  I hope to have some time to rebuild my audio system and enjoy some music.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #22 on: 12 Apr 2006, 12:44 pm »
1 couldn't stand seeing (or hearing) my lovely new HT3s simply being used as a tool in my sound lab, so we moved them up to my home AV system yesterday where they have made an amazing improvement to my video sound system and big improvement to the room decor too.

Now I have something lovely to look at even when the TV programming is awful (as usual).

P.S.  Driving them with a single Ultimate 70 30 watt per channel tube amp.

Frank Van Alstine

texas steve

« Reply #23 on: 12 Apr 2006, 12:51 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
How come we only see the front and sides....how's the back look ?  :P

Ill take a picture of mine from the back tonight and post, look for it under "steves speakers updated",   orginal pictures of my speakers deliverd yesterday are under "steves new speaks"

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 12 Apr 2006, 01:44 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
1 couldn't stand seeing (or hearing) my lovely new HT3s simply being used as a tool in my sound lab, so we moved them up to my home AV system yesterday where they have made an amazing improvement to my video sound system and big improvement to the room decor too.

Now I have something lovely to look at even when the TV programming is awful (as usual).

P.S.  Driving them with a single Ultimate 70 30 watt per channel tube amp.

Frank Van Alstine

Frank,

Can you talk about the differences in sound between a 30 watt tube amp and your bigger hybrid amps?

I think many Salk owners or potential owners think that 30 watts of power wouldn't be enough for the HT3's.

Thanks,

George

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 12 Apr 2006, 02:56 pm »
A single 30w per channel U70 would not be enough power for the HT3s in a music applicaiton where you wanted all of the dynamic range done realisticlly.  However for essentially TV sound (coming off the analog audio outputs of my cable box) which is either compressed, or on movies either always too loud or too soft and needs watching with the remote volume control in hand, a single U70 is just fine, as long as you don't need the bombs going off at wall rattling levels.

Now two U70s bridged with our Ultra Bridge will give you over 100 watts per channle into the HT3s and that is a different story all together.

Of course a Fet Valve 350 or 550 works super great too, but I don't have a spare one of these available right now for my own use, darn it.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 13 Apr 2006, 04:47 pm »
We watched "Walk the Line" from a Comcast "On Demand" movie source last night, and the sound quality was just awesome with the HT3s, but of course had to turn down the sound on the music portions to keep from blowing out the back windows.  :)  Made the little U70 work pretty hard, but it kept up better than I thought it would have.

Frank

jsalk

« Reply #27 on: 13 Apr 2006, 06:20 pm »
Frank -

Funny you should mention that you use your U70's to power your HT3's.  I often use a 40-watt Jolida tube amp I highly modified with mine.  For normal listening, it is more than adequate.  

If I were to purchase a tube amp specifically for the HT3's, I would probably opt for 60 watts per channel (or more).  But I have auditioned my HT3's for many people using the 40-watt Jolida and have never had a negative comment.

I have also used your pre with a Bryston 4B with very good results.

I can't wait to get my hands on your set-up to really put them through the paces!

- Jim

Gizmo

Re: Salk Veracity HT-3s arrived!
« Reply #28 on: 7 Jul 2006, 07:35 pm »
Frank,

After having the HT3's for sometime now, do you have any further feedback on how they perform with your equipment.

Thanks,

David

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 7 Jul 2006, 10:35 pm »
Well, lucky for me I have two sets of HT3s here now; mine in my home AV system, and Patty's down in the sound lab until her listening room is finished late in the fall.  When hers arrived I was able to banish my B&W 801s back to the lonely unused back office again.

The HT3s remain one of the very best I have heard, price not an object.  In fact I cannot think of anything else that I would really want in here, certainly not the $20,000 a pair B&W 800Ds I heard a while back. Jim's speakers are in my book in a class all by themselves.

Frank Van Alstine

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #30 on: 7 Jul 2006, 10:42 pm »
once you hear these you won't go back :)
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue26/lavigne_vr9.htm
just $75k

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 7 Jul 2006, 11:23 pm »
once you hear these you won't go back :)
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue26/lavigne_vr9.htm
just $75k

At 15 times the price of a pair of HT3's, they better be significantly better.

When I heard them at a couple of audio shows I didn't think they were, bBut I reserve the right to change my mind if I get to hear them in a non-show environment. 

George

JoshK

« Reply #32 on: 7 Jul 2006, 11:32 pm »
I find the choice of tweeters curious (for the VS9__).  :scratch:  If you were going to go to the trouble to use two tweeters, why the heck would you use the ring radiator for the lower?  :roll:  But I am not mister schweister.

Gizmo

« Reply #33 on: 8 Jul 2006, 01:14 am »
Frank,
Thanks for the input.  In a 2 channel set-up which of your amps & preamps would you recommend with a non active pair of HT3's.

Thanks again,

David

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 8 Jul 2006, 08:01 pm »
Given a decent listening room, my recommendations would be an Ultra SL hybrid preamplifier and a Fet Valve Ultra 350 power amplifier.  If you listening room is hard and bright with lots of early reflections, then I would recommend the Transcendence Eight vacuum tube preamp instead to tame some of that, and I would then also recommend ordering the speakers with the contour switch option.

Frank Van Alstine

Gizmo

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jul 2006, 10:32 pm »
Frank,

Thanks for the input.  It is great having access to some of the best in the business.

David

texas steve

« Reply #36 on: 9 Jul 2006, 10:31 pm »
Given a decent listening room, my recommendations would be an Ultra SL hybrid preamplifier and a Fet Valve Ultra 350 power amplifier.  If you listening room is hard and bright with lots of early reflections, then I would recommend the Transcendence Eight vacuum tube preamp instead to tame some of that, and I would then also recommend ordering the speakers with the contour switch option.

Frank Van Alstine

Frank, I have the HT3 and HTC, can you recomend a 3 channel, ballanced amp (tube or not) that has at least 200w?   Im currently using the 200w Proceed.   thanks

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 9 Jul 2006, 10:51 pm »
Is there a specific reason it needs to be balanced?

Are you willing to do mono-amps instead of a 3 channel amp?

What is your budget?

George

texas steve

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jul 2006, 01:04 pm »
Is there a specific reason it needs to be balanced?

Are you willing to do mono-amps instead of a 3 channel amp?

What is your budget?

George
George, thanks for answering.  Balanced because I have 3 very expensive balanced cables running now.   Mono is ok, but I would prefer a single unit as I turn it on (out of stand by) with a 12v trigger.   I guess I could do 3 units.

Budget, well after the HT3s does it matter?  Im open to most "reasonable" oppetunities.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 10 Jul 2006, 01:51 pm »
I strongly suspect that three great AVA amplifier channels (singled ended inputs only) will work better for you than something else with very expensive balanced line cables.  Sell the cables on Audiogon and put the proceeds towards the amplifiers, along with $15 worth of Radio Shack cables.  Put the money into good engineering, not good voodoo.

Frank Van Alstine