Project Tracking system

jsalk

Project Tracking system
« on: 31 Jul 2012, 09:07 pm »
Keeping track of the number of projects we have going on at any given time has been more of a challenge as the numbers increase.  So we set out to develop a tracking system that will allow us to monitor exactly where we are at with any given project at any time.

What we now have set up in the shop offers a myriad of views and, so far, it seems to be working quite well (we are still in the beta development stage).

One major advantage of this system is that customers will be able to check the status of their project at any time.  Here is an example of what they might see...

When someone places an order, they are naturally curious as to how we are doing on their project.  So we often get emails and calls asking "how are you coming on my speakers?"  Or, "when will they be finished."

We can never answer the latter question as speakers normally get born when they want to...not when we want them to.  But at least now, people can check anytime they want (they just have to be careful not to wear out their keyboard checking as the graph will not move all that fast).

In this test example, you see how we did on my new SS8's.  We didn't need to pack or ship them so the graph was never complete.

If you want to play with it, you can input invoice "1001" and the last name "salk" to see the fake order we are building for Mary (she "ordered" a few more speakers than I did and you can see each one separately).  Here is a link to the page:  http://www.salksound.com/projects%20home.php

We don't have a link to this page on our site yet since we are still in the beta stage.  But we hope this one-of-a-kind system will be a real asset to those placing orders with us. 

Enjoy!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2014, 11:10 am by jsalk »

Don_S

Re: New Project Tracking system
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2012, 09:27 pm »
Jim,

Awesome idea and progressive thinking too. Maybe you can get speakers built faster if you don't have to hand-hold anxious expectant parents.  :thumb:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2012, 09:35 pm »
Great idea Jim.  Coincidence that you announce this on the same day you informed me that inspection was completed on my babies!  I has been a helpless feeling sometimes wondering where things are in the process.  I think I only asked status one or two times.  That took some restraint!  Of course, I made up for it with hundreds of emails in the various stages of decision!  :roll: :lol:

I really like the barber pole style progress bar.  Gives a nice reassuring feeling that the process is moving.

..........Peter

Austin08

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2012, 10:39 pm »
Good idea, Jim. I guess my stuff will be finished before this thing hit the street.

Mijknarf

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2012, 10:40 pm »
I am not a Salk speaker owner, nor do I expect to be, but I must compliment Jim on how he runs the business.  This is yet another great example of superior customer service by what appears to be a pretty good speaker manufacturer.  Hats off to you for a truly innovative idea that will only build more loyal customers.

PSB Guy

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2012, 11:00 pm »
What an awesome idea! My SongBirds were completed in far less time than I was expecting, so there really was no long wait fot me. I can see how this would be a great comfort for those waiting for more complex projects to be completed. Great work, and yet another reason to choose Salk.

Cornelis

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2012, 11:11 pm »
I think it was self defense.

Are they done yet? Are they done yet? Are they done yet?   :lol:

squirrel_nut

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2012, 12:16 am »
dont look!  thats half the fun of not knowing and letting those expectations build :P 

dlbeck

« Reply #8 on: 1 Aug 2012, 12:20 am »
This tracking system makes me want to order SS8's just so I can watch their progress.  Oh wait, maybe there are a couple more reasons :-)

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:36 pm »
Excellent idea. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2012, 01:41 pm by Saturn94 »

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2012, 07:19 pm »
This is great for the customer - and as a business owner, I can tell you I know how the idea came about....   Spending more time answering emails and phone calls can bring shop progress to a CRAWL....    Great work Jim, and I hope it frees up some time for you sir... !!!   

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2012, 08:14 pm »
One word: genius!  That is all. :)

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2012, 08:22 pm »
Super customer service.  I just had an unnecessary fight with a manufacturer over an order because they never let me know what was going on. Very forward thinking on your part.

squirrel_nut

« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2012, 12:21 am »
i officially volunteer for your new records keeper position!   i assume it comes with a sizeable employee discount  :P   

lowtech

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2012, 01:40 am »
If it's good enough for Domino's... 

Caustic Casey

• "All government, of course, is against liberty.."
    • causticcasey.com
« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2012, 02:22 pm »
I'll be all over this as I just ordered my 12" rythmik sub...
Can't wait!!

stlblues

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2012, 04:45 pm »
What a great idea :thumb:
It will be fun tracking the progress of my SS8's instead of bugging Jim.

Thanksgramps

« Reply #17 on: 7 Aug 2012, 04:24 pm »
Very cool Jim.  Nice addition!  Just checked my order and it worked perfectly.  Maybe version 2 will show a work-in-progress picture?   :thumb:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #18 on: 7 Aug 2012, 05:18 pm »

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 7 Aug 2012, 05:26 pm »
A bit over the top?  :lol:

Congratulations. Be sure to take pictures of the dogs and sled when UPS delivers.