Piano M1 Build Quality

Blooze

Piano M1 Build Quality
« on: 2 Dec 2010, 11:55 pm »
I currently in the process of starting to replace my low-fi stuff with better, affordable gear, one piece at a time.  I've been looking some into the Piano for a new stand alone redbook player and was wondering about the build quality.  The only newer CDP I've had was the NAD 525Bee and it lasted about a month past the 2 year warranty before the transport wouldn't work correctly.  I've got two older, original mid-late 1980's CDP's that I think you could drop off a building and they would still work correctly, but of course SQ is not very good.  Obviously not a good comparison to the Piano, but $7-800 is a decent amount of money for me, and I just wanted to hear from some of the good people that own them.

FWIW, I'm looking to build a Hagerman Clarinet pre after the first of the year, currently finishing a diytube ST35 EL84 PP, have a DIY 1626 Darling I use quite often, a Bottlehead Seduction, all out to ART Arrays.  After that it's just old stuff not worth mentioning.  So the plan is finish the ST35, build the Clarinet, then onto good quality CDP and turntable, pair of Anarchy tapped horn subs and possibly OB's (gonna try them).

TONEPUB

Re: Piano M1 Build Quality
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2010, 12:15 am »
I bought the review sample and think the Virtue stuff is very good at its price point.  My other cd players are the $60,000 dCS Paganini and the $12,000 Simaudio 750D.

No, the Virtue is not a dCS, but everything inside is tidily built and uses good components.

Plus, buy dealing with a small company like Virtue, you have a better chance of getting out of warranty service at a reasonable price.

Sounds good too!  Can't go wrong for the price, I say.....

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2010, 12:31 am »
blooze

here is a review if your interested in reading it.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/va_piano_m1_e.html

Blooze

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2010, 12:54 am »
Thanks folks!  I've read some of the reviews, that's what piqued my interest.  But reviews don't always give you a good idea of the longevity of the build.  It is definitely on my short list.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2010, 12:57 am »
When I received my Piano I was surprised how well made they are. Mine has been used daily for several months now and still makes me smile, the music becomes infectious to listen to and basically a real treat!!!

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2010, 01:05 am »
Thanks folks!  I've read some of the reviews, that's what piqued my interest.  But reviews don't always give you a good idea of the longevity of the build.  It is definitely on my short list.

I can tell you this
my Piano is about a year old and is used almost 24/7 for testing, burning in, listening by my wife and I (my wife is Momma Virtue and does assembly and shipping receiving for Virtue) heck the thing is running right now lol I cant remember the last time the poor thing got a break :)

oskar1

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:43 pm »
Hi!
Love my piano, but I'm very disappointed, because the display of my player is GREEN, although I can see all your pictures with beautiful BLUE displays- is there a way to change this?

thanks    Oskar

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:46 pm »
(my wife is Momma Virtue and does assembly and shipping receiving for Virtue)

:nono:, your wife is "Mama Virtue".    :wink:

Here on A.C. of course.   :)

Blooze

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2010, 08:50 pm »
If Virtue displays at LSAF in Dallas again this year, I "might" have to save up my money and just have one brought to the show for me  :green:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2010, 08:52 pm »
Mine is Green also, power LED is Blue and display is Green...the sound is GOLD!! :thumb: :thumb:

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:24 am »
Every Piano I've seen has a green display, I think its just the photos that make it look blue.

Blooze, I'm hoping to make it there this year but cant promise that just yet. will start a thread about it when the time gets closer.

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:08 am »
Mine definitely has a blue display...

HiFlight

« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2010, 05:48 am »
Mine also has a bluish display.  Not as blue as the power LED, but certainly not green.
Ron

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:25 am »
Strange, Oscar.  I had no idea there were green ones; everything I approved was blue.  What to do?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:31 pm »
Strange, Oscar.  I had no idea there were green ones; everything I approved was blue.  What to do?

Guess one got passed Q.C.

srb

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:46 pm »
Guess one got passed Q.C.

Only one?  oskar1 and eclein said theirs were green, and Virtue's Jason T said "Every Piano I've seen has a green display" !

?

Steve

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:59 pm »
These were built for us by a very well respected OEM in China that shall remain nameless.  We source certain parts; the LED and screen (Sanyo) were not among them.  They were made 2 years ago and this is the first I've heard of it - Oscar is observant and would prefer blue.  Boutique audio has its challenges.  There really is only so much I can control without building in the USA, charging a fortune, and giving up the day job that finances this madness.  In the future, we just need to verify before shipment, if Green is OK.  I wasn't looking out for it and didn't do it in the past.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:01 pm »

Only one?  oskar1 and eclein said theirs were green, and Virtue's Jason T said "Every Piano I've seen has a green display" !

Guess he didn't see mine  :lol: I got the Blues, the blues, dem ol' Virtue blues  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:05 pm »
Mine is still Green today, I wonder which units sound better- Green? or Blue?  :drums: :thankyou: :peek: :wtf:

oskar1

« Reply #19 on: 12 Dec 2010, 10:10 pm »
OK,guys! it's a matter of taste.
I hope,I can explain in english, what I mean.
The sound and built-quality of the M1 is extraordinary. If this were not so, I would not think of the display for a second.
But .....  in case of such an outstanding product for me it's NOT unimportant, having beside a bright blue LED a green display, and I won't hide this beautiful player.
Yes,I know, there are really more important things in the world than the colour of a display...............but mine I would definitely prefer in BLUE.

Greetings from Austria         Oskar

p.s.:  my systems: Main: Tom Evans Audio Design  Linear B monos, Vibe pre,Model One speakers, Piano M1
"Second": ICE-Blocks,Sensation as a pre, Macbook pro with Amarra player,Weiss DAC2 and Dynaudio Evidence Temptations
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2010, 03:50 pm by oskar1 »