Need speaker recommendations for Odyssey monos and tempest

pugs

« Reply #20 on: 31 Mar 2004, 04:00 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
i have a pair of rick craig designed speakers-not the rc3r, but the same mid dome-
he has a nice ear and is a pleasure to deal with :mrgreen:
there was a pair of rc3r out for demo ,contact rick

I emailed him yesterday.

Thanks

earlmarc

« Reply #21 on: 31 Mar 2004, 06:18 pm »
Pugs, Electronic Express in Nashville TN. is closing out the Energy Connoisseur line of speakers. I called recently and they were selling the C-7 for $500 a pair!!! I did not check on the other models. They have about 5 locations in Nashville. You will have to contact their coporate office and find out what remaining stock they have. Anyone who thinks the the Connoisseur line is a step back needs to read the reviews and demo them. The C-9 is the largest speaker in the line and in a head to head with the $3500 B&W Nautilus 804, it was the preferred speaker. The C-3 went blow for blow with the Revel M20. My opinion is that there is no other speaker line better than the Connoisseur line of speakers for the money. The Connoisseur line of speakers will hold their own with speakers two and three times their price. No other speaker line recently has garnered more rave reviews. And when consider the synergy these speakers have with Odyssey amplifiers, the decision for me is a no brainer. You can pay alot more but that doesn't mean your going to find a better speaker for your Odyssey amps.

pugs

« Reply #22 on: 31 Mar 2004, 06:29 pm »
Quote from: earlmarc
Pugs, Electronic Express in Nashville TN. is closing out the Energy Connoisseur line of speakers. I called recently and they were selling the C-7 for $500 a pair!!! I did not check on the other models. They have about 5 locations in Nashville. You will have to contact their coporate office and find out what remaining stock they have. Anyone who thinks the the Connoisseur line is a step back needs to read the reviews and demo them. The C-9 is the largest speaker in the line and in a head to head with the $35 ...

Do you recommend the C-7 over the C-5?  How far away should they be placed from the rear wall?

earlmarc

« Reply #23 on: 31 Mar 2004, 06:30 pm »
Pugs, I just checked the availibilty of the Connoissuer speakers at Electronic Express. They have C-9s, C-7s, C-5s, and C-3s. You can reach them toll free at 888-257-7500.

earlmarc

« Reply #24 on: 31 Mar 2004, 06:35 pm »
Pugs, I really like the C-5. It is a special speaker, but for $500 a pair the C-7 would be hard to resist. You would get better bass performance with the C-7. I would recommend about 3 feet away from the back wall for the C-5. The C-7 and C-9 don't require much in the way of placement. They are actually more placement friendly.

pugs

« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2004, 06:39 pm »
Pugs, I really like the C-5. It is a special speaker, but for $500 a pair the C-7 would be hard to resist. You would get better bass performance with the C-7. I would recommend about 3 feet away from the back wall for the C-5. The C-7 and C-9 don't require much in the way of placement. They are actually more placement friendly.

I don't want to place them more than 2' from the rear wall.  Why do the C-5 need to be placed further from the wall?  Do they have a rear port?

earlmarc

« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2004, 06:44 pm »
Pugs, they don't have to me placed 3 feet from the rear wall. The closer to the wall they are the more bass they produce. I think the bass is not as pronounced three feet away. The C-5 produce some serious bass!

Pirate

« Reply #27 on: 31 Mar 2004, 08:32 pm »
Arrgh Pugs,

Go with the Nightingales and build your system using Odyssey Speakers. You can TRADE them in later for the Loreleis when the coin is available. 8)
Thats why Odyssey is such a great product! Synergy matey. :beer:

pugs

« Reply #28 on: 31 Mar 2004, 09:37 pm »
Quote from: Pirate
Arrgh Pugs,

Go with the Nightingales and build your system using Odyssey Speakers. You can TRADE them in later for the Loreleis when the coin is available. 8)
Thats why Odyssey is such a great product! Synergy matey. :beer:

Have you heard them or own them?  How would you describe them?

Pirate

« Reply #29 on: 31 Mar 2004, 09:58 pm »
I am waiting for mine to arrive.  Klaus suggested I go this way.  The bass wont be as good as the Loreleis but I have been using a sub for sometime. The WAF should be excellent too.  My goal is to eventually have  the Loreleis.  Reviews are slim on the Nightingales. Audioreview.com has a small amount on them.  :)

earlmarc

« Reply #30 on: 31 Mar 2004, 10:02 pm »
Pugs, I got some prices for you from Electronic Express. C-7 = $500, C-5= $400, and C-3= $250. These prices are per pair. All of these units will be demo units, therfore they will not ship them. If you are interested I have a brother-in-law in Nashville that can pick these speakers up for you and arrange shipping.

byteme

« Reply #31 on: 31 Mar 2004, 10:04 pm »
There is a LOT to be said for system synergy.  Many people haven't thought that highly of the Groneberg cables for example, however, the TS Premium that I've got in my system with Stratos Extreme amp and Lorelei's was clearly better than anything else I've tried.  The Epiphany got a great review from TNT-audio - the Nightingale is made by the same person so it should have similar voicing.  Satfrat should be able to comment some since he has a pair of Nemesis center speakers which are essentially the Circe without the base.  I'm also waiting (very patiently I'd say....right Klaus??) for a Nemesis to mate with my Lorelei's.

pugs

« Reply #32 on: 1 Apr 2004, 03:14 am »
Pugs, I got some prices for you from Electronic Express. C-7 = $500, C-5= $400, and C-3= $250. These prices are per pair. All of these units will be demo units, therfore they will not ship them. If you are interested I have a brother-in-law in Nashville that can pick these speakers up for you and arrange shipping.

Those are great prices.  I REALLY appreciate the offer.  I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet.  I still want to try them out.  I also want to soak in some of the other suggestions people are giving me.  Also, when I do decide to get new speakers, I'll probably need to sell the NHTs first.  I don't want to ask the wife for anymore audio equipment without having the cash from the old equipment first.  She has been extremely patient with me.  I don't want to test her patience anymore.

pugs

« Reply #33 on: 1 Apr 2004, 03:18 am »
Quote from: byteme
There is a LOT to be said for system synergy.  Many people haven't thought that highly of the Groneberg cables for example, however, the TS Premium that I've got in my system with Stratos Extreme amp and Lorelei's was clearly better than anything else I've tried.  The Epiphany got a great review from TNT-audio - the Nightingale is made by the same person so it should have similar voicing.  Satfrat should be able to comment some since he has a pair of Nemesis center speakers which are essentially the Circe w ...

The Nightingales are a little too expensive for me right now if I want the matching center and surrounds.  I've thought a little bit about bookshelves for mains, but for various reasons, I'm not going to consider them.

pugs

« Reply #34 on: 1 Apr 2004, 03:23 am »
BTW-Has anybody else tried Energy with Odyssey?  The Energy's are interesting to me because of their affordability and also because of what earlmarc said about them.  Also, I can audition them easily.

I'm not going to make any quick decisions though, unless I'm blown away by the Energy's.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.  I hope more come.