Ethernet over power lines

Escott1377

Ethernet over power lines
« on: 4 Jul 2020, 07:12 pm »
I known that have been discussions in the past over this topic.  Wondering if anyone has tried more recently and if the technology has improved?

We have Spectrum and they advertise 200MB/s, I have yet to see it.

They family is still in apt right now until we move into new house next week and I am lucky to pull 5 MB/s on d/l’s.

Not sure if it’s the provider or being in apt.

I do own a Google mesh for when we get things set up in the new place.

Wife will not go for wiring the house right now and I am still considering the possibility of Roon.

Thanks in advance and Happy 4th!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Ethernet over power lines
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2020, 07:34 pm »
Domestic electrical energy already polluted enough with foreign artifacts.
My 2 cents.

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2020, 07:44 pm »
Speed can be variable and depends on how far and where the circuits are located. You want them plugged straight into the wall and not any conditioners.

I got rid of my D-Link (Av500 I think? Can double check later). They put out a lot of interference. Regular Ethernet is best, followed by a wifi combination, and then dead last powerline. Only use it as a last resort.

RichPark

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2020, 08:12 pm »
It didn't work for.me.  Too many Separate circuits as the signal died at the breaker panel.  Wasted 75.00.  Run wire and you will be much happier.

Escott1377

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2020, 09:02 pm »
I watched a You Tube clip on the TP Link product.  It looked pretty promising.

My wife is not going to let us the house get wired.

I am pushing for other items an the audio list so I have to give in order to take.

I’m really thinking with sticking with JRiver but Roon’s interface is the best.

Here is the link that I am referencing: https://youtu.be/zUr8YplagVw

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2020, 09:20 pm »
It has also been mentioned here by others, I use  the eero mesh wireless router also on Spectrum. I'm paying for 200mb I get like 260mb on a laptop, )pay another $20 for 400mb) Don't need that much
Using the eero base station and 2 beacon plugins ( about $300 total) it's been flawless!
Best investment I had purchased in a long time. Your D/L speed depends a lot if you are using for a NIC wireless card. On a b, n, g, card it wil be slower. Now they have out a new AX internet protocol or something but you have to have the NIC card/equipment to match. I have not seen any laptops out yet with this.
The Node 2i I use is Ac and perfect, no drops sound is excellent. Super simple to set up.

Amazon bought out and owns eero now and is returnable of course.

Escott1377

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2020, 11:50 am »
Also thru reading I found Ethernet over coax - sousing any spare templates from cable.  Anyone have any experience with this 1?

whell

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2020, 12:01 pm »
Works fine for me.  Using some Netgear PLP 1200's to distribute the signal where I need it.  I've got a house that was built in the 1960's - so not exactly the newest wiring - and get pretty hard-wire router speeds all around.