SOLD VPI Aries Scout Turntable w/ Dustcover - Excellent! SOLD

bside123

Here is a classic turntable for your consideration:

VPI Aries Scout Turntable - JMW-9 Tonearm - Dustcover

This is a fantastic, entry-level turntable from VPI in excellent condition. There are more reviews, awards and comments available on this little gem than Carter has pills. (Does that date me?) The VPI Scout has a worthy upgrade path, virtually from foot to platter to junction box, should someone want to pursue that course. I am the second owner of this turntable.

This offering comes with: Turntable Complete; Stand Alone Motor Assembly; Unused New Belt; VPI Record Clamp; VPI Alignment Jig, Dustcover; and All Paperwork. Sorry... No Original Box. Overall, the table is in fantastic condition - not a blemish. There are, however, two small issues to note that leave this offering less than "perfect": 1) The cueing mechanism is "sticky." 2) The dustcover has plenty of little scratches and scrapes and get this... the former owner drilled four tiny, little holes and had installed a handle on it! I removed the handle, but the holes remain. You can see them on the dustcover photo.

This turntable functions perfectly and sound great to boot. I will pack it extremely securely for shipping, and local pick-up is welcome. I am a trusted and active AudioCircle member. Please contact me for any questions.

Price: $1,000 plus shipping and PayPal Fees. Zip Code 62901

« Last Edit: 8 May 2012, 08:58 pm by bside123 »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: FS: VPI Aries Scout Turntable w/ Dustcover - Excellent!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2012, 10:47 pm »
Sweet looking rig Din. Wish the funds were in the budget at the moment, I'd snap it up. I'm guessing one of the vinyl junkies here will grab it fairly quick. Good luck. :thumb:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2012, 10:52 pm »
That's a sweet deal for some lucky vinyl newbie!  :D

bside123

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2012, 11:45 pm »
That's a sweet deal for some lucky vinyl newbie!  :D

For sure... and it doesn't even necessarily have to be a "newbie." This is a solid, good sounding table for anybody... not to mention all of the upgrades available via VPI!

putz

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2012, 02:11 am »
$1,000 bucks is a steal for this table, especially with a dustcover. Put a Dynavector MC on it and you're in business.

I love my Aries 1 and however buys this will love their Scout. And yes, the upgrades.

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2012, 04:44 pm »
Hope the previous owner doesn't find out you took off his ingenious handle!

Paul :lol:

mtodde

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2012, 04:55 pm »
Free bump for a good deal.  I was happy to pick up a Scout for $1250 on Audiogon.  It had the anti-skate and box but no dustcover.  Wish I had waited now!

Best of luck with the sale.

bside123

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2012, 04:57 pm »
Yea Paul,

Now, I regret not taking a before and after photo. I believe that the previous owner's "urge" to install a handle onto the plexiglass dustcover must of come from one of those "late night sessions," as in, "Wouldn't be cool... if... ?" and sorry to say, "No, it wasn't cool at all!" :wink:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:29 am »
Bump for a good deal from one of the good guys.  :thumb:

pmctexas

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2012, 01:07 pm »
Pm sent

bside123

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2012, 02:45 pm »
Bump

mtodde

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:21 pm »
I can't believe this is still available! If I hadn't just bought a Scout (for more $!) I'd have picked this up.

This is a significant savings over a new or even B stock Scout. 

Free bump...good luck with your sale.

bside123

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2012, 11:01 pm »
Yes, believe it or not, it's still available. :wave:

bside123

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2012, 01:27 pm »
Bump

kgturner

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2012, 01:40 pm »
Post this up on Audiogon. I had my Scoutmaster listed here, on AudioAsylum, and Vinyl Engine for a week with no response, not even the expected lowball offers. I listed my Scoutmaster on Audiogon and it was sold in 6 hours. Already received payment and will ship next week.

Kevin T

bside123

« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2012, 04:55 pm »
Post this up on Audiogon. I had my Scoutmaster listed here, on AudioAsylum, and Vinyl Engine for a week with no response, not even the expected lowball offers. I listed my Scoutmaster on Audiogon and it was sold in 6 hours. Already received payment and will ship next week.
Kevin T

Okay Kevin, I followed your recommendation and listed the Scout for $1,100 on the other website, hopefully as a back up. In any case, I would rather sell to AC members using this site.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2012, 02:33 am by bside123 »

nocrapman

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2012, 01:48 am »
What do you mean by: Cueing mechanism is sticky?

Does this affect performance?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2012, 02:10 am »
I should think not, Nocrapman.  No crap.  That is a fine table and the price is beyond reasonable. 

bside123

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2012, 02:32 am »
What do you mean by: Cueing mechanism is sticky?

Does this affect performance

Thanks for the question. Yea, I've had several people ask me regarding my "sticky" statement. Guess I should have been more specific. Sorry. :duh:

So specifically speakin'... the cueing mechanism works perfectly and holds the tonearm in the UP position. When flipping the lever down, in order to lower the tonearm onto the platter, the small piston mechanism hangs up a bit and needs a little push with the finger to go all the way down. I called VPI about the replacement costs for the complete cueing unit, and they quoted me $55 over the telephone. Perhaps a DIY guy could take the piece apart and determine the issue.

I never followed up to order the unit, because 1) it's not really broken... it's slow, retarded and needs help, and 2) I mostly cue by hand on all my tables, so the cost wasn't worth it to me. Perhaps, I should have replaced the unit before trying to sell the table, but then I would be asking more, as my price reflects this very small glitch. Audiophiles are pretty particular, and any perceived imperfection in a piece of equipment can be a turnoff. I don't know :dunno: perhaps this has jinxed my sale, as I know the price is definitely right!

In no way does this affect any of the performance of the table, as this inconvenience has nothing whatsoever to do with play back. Really... this table sounds great. My hats office to VPI for such an outstanding entry-level table. Because of the upgrade path, I probably would not being selling this table if it wasn't for the fact that I have other turntables. So... I am thinning the herd... so to speak.

Okay, this is pretty much how it is. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any more questions. Thanks!

bside123

Sold, bought and paid on Audiogon for $1,100 in 2 1/2 days. I would've rather it had sold here on AC, but I'm thankful in any case.