BDP-2 Digital Player

zuluwarrior0760

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #760 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:30 pm »
Thanks for the additional info. Even without the whole DSD thing I know I would need a DAC and I intended to just use my Lexicon MC-12 to perform those duties, at least initially until I perhaps went for a dedicated DAC. I would like to be able to do DSD as well however I need to fill in all my knowledge gaps there. So I need a DAC capable of DSD playback, ok check, so that rules out the 2 Bryston's which sucks. My intended connection method between the BDP-2 and whatever DAC was going to be AES/EBU however are you also saying that for DSD that's a no go, I need to run a USB connection instead between the BDP-2 and chosen DAC?

I'm not aware of a DSD Dac that does not operate via USB (there might be one.....)

The thing you've got to understand is that asking a DAC to do PCM well and DSD well
is akin to you asking an astronaut to go to the moon and mars at the same time.....
It's pretty difficult.....that's why you don't see DSD yet from Bryston, or Berkeley for
instance.....

There is actually a decent DSD ONLY Dac that is super tiny from Schiit audio
and costs about 149.00.  I listended to it on my big system one night when
a friend brought it over (and it was the BDP2 feeding it) and it sounded great.....
but no better than if that track had been in PCM run through my DAC inside
my Esoteric K-03.....

Your very best shot at finding a DAC that does both and does both well
is to go with a DAC that does not rely on a DAC chip perse, but operates
on what's called a "field programmed gate array" or FPGA for short...

The two I'm aware of are:

The Directstream from PS Audio
and the tiny little Hugo from Chord, which I've heard as well and sounds
unbelievable!

In the end, what I would do is drop kick the idea of DSD.  If you want
DSD, go get a very good SACD player and some SACDs from ebay and there
you go, pure DSD......the problem with files from the web is that a lot of them
started life as a PCM file anyways, so you don't really know the provenance
unless it comes from a label such as blue coast records, but they offer
their stuff in high resolution PCM as well and to my ears they sound amazing...

That's why I've sort of abandoned the idea of DSD, although I enjoy my SACD
collection a lot.....

There's no question that DSD has gained some ground, but as people settle in,
they'll realize the amount of material out there is still super limited and without
them knowing what that file originally was, they might not be getting the
benefits of what makes single bit dsd desirable in the first place.....

The PS Audio direct stream DAC would be a compelling choice and I've seen
them as low as 3900 nearly new, The hugo could probably be had under 2K
For less than that, you could buy seperate DACs from Schiit Audio, one for
DSD thru USB and one for your PCM files through AES/EBU

Good luck.....
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2014, 07:01 pm by zuluwarrior0760 »

Rod_S

« Reply #761 on: 15 Aug 2014, 06:54 pm »
Excellent info, thanks very much for posting that.

MoPac

« Reply #762 on: 15 Aug 2014, 09:36 pm »
S2.05 2014 07-25
Chris:
  The BDP-2 Just started skipping badly while playing an MP3 320 track in a large ( 2200 track  ) playlist.  MPAD shows "Nothing Playing" yet the skipping sound continues now on the next track ( WAV 44.1 ).  MM will not open on the iPad-2 / Safari, "Cannot open Page".  The skipping is now getting to the point where there is more silence than music.  Can't stop from MPAD and MM will not load.  Guess I need to shut down the BDP.  Hope that' the right thing to do?
  Shutdown and restartet.  No errors shown.  MM opens now and MPAD does now play from that large playlist, but this behavior is very disconcerting. :cry:  Got any ideas?

P.S. A few days ago it did skip on another MP3 320 track, but only once and the playlist continued without issue.  These MP3 files are conversions of high res files using DBpoweramp done to eliminate my DAC "Mute N' Switch" resolutions which often cuts off the first portion of the next track.  Not good for a party mix.

Thanks   
Rich

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #763 on: 15 Aug 2014, 09:58 pm »
S2.05 2014 07-25
Chris:
  The BDP-2 Just started skipping badly while playing an MP3 320 track in a large ( 2200 track  ) playlist.  MPAD shows "Nothing Playing" yet the skipping sound continues now on the next track ( WAV 44.1 ).  MM will not open on the iPad-2 / Safari, "Cannot open Page".  The skipping is now getting to the point where there is more silence than music.  Can't stop from MPAD and MM will not load.  Guess I need to shut down the BDP.  Hope that' the right thing to do?
  Shutdown and restartet.  No errors shown.  MM opens now and MPAD does now play from that large playlist, but this behavior is very disconcerting. :cry:  Got any ideas?

P.S. A few days ago it did skip on another MP3 320 track, but only once and the playlist continued without issue.  These MP3 files are conversions of high res files using JRMC done to eliminate my DAC "Mute N' Switch" resolutions which often cuts off the first portion of the next track.  Not good for a party mix.

Thanks   
Rich

Hi MoPac

I will let Chris respond but the BDP was never really designed to playback MP3 files as far as I know. It was designed specifically for 44.1 to 192 high resolution file playback.

james

MoPac

« Reply #764 on: 15 Aug 2014, 10:38 pm »
James:
  No huge deal as there are only a small number of high res files that need conversion.  Guess what I'll do is replace the MP3 converted files with high res FLAC to FLAC 44.1 conversions, or high res WAV to WAV 44.1 conversions.
  Would still like to know from Chris if MP3 is a problem.  I do agree that MP3 is a compromise.  Maybe these new conversions will sound better.

Thanks
Rich

lycia

« Reply #765 on: 15 Aug 2014, 11:27 pm »
It would be appreciated if someone from Bryston could answer my post #757.

Zuluwarrior mentioned a rather drastic solution.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #766 on: 15 Aug 2014, 11:52 pm »
S2.05 2014 07-25
Chris:

P.S. A few days ago it did skip on another MP3 320 track, but only once and the playlist continued without issue.  These MP3 files are conversions of high res files using DBpoweramp done to eliminate my DAC "Mute N' Switch" resolutions which often cuts off the first portion of the next track.  Not good for a party mix.

Thanks   
Rich

Hi Rich,

I believe your not the only one experiencing this issue, I few other customers have reported it as well.  I have tried reproducing the problem, but have been unsuccessful and can only guess as to what could be causing the troubles.  It is being looked into.

Powering the bdp off and back on is fine.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #767 on: 15 Aug 2014, 11:55 pm »
I endeavoured to update the BDP-2's firmware today in response to a notice that new firmware was available, and received the following:

"Downloading firmware filesystem
0 100% @1476
Downloading boot drivers
1357 100% @1353
Downloading vmlinuz image
0 100% @1333
Running Filesystem Check: b501dbb5d56bb6261209449daf6e83c2 /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
: Filsystem Check Failed: md5 values different
Should Be:
Calculated: b501dbb5
You should try redownloading this version of the firmware and try again
/"

Three subsequent attempts elicited the same answer.

I have rebooted the BDP-2 several times and "New Firmware Available" is still showing but to no avail!

What is my next step?

S2.04 2014-06-19
    Build: Manic Moose
    MPD: 0.18.6
    Kernel: 3.12-0.bpo.1-486

Simply place the bdp into service mode and email us the service id.  There are some links to the manual and tech support found on the README file that appears just before initiating the update.

Cheers,
Chris

lycia

« Reply #768 on: 16 Aug 2014, 12:20 am »
Simply place the bdp into service mode and email us the service id.  There are some links to the manual and tech support found on the README file that appears just before initiating the update.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks, Chris. I have placed the BDP-2 in Service Mode and sent off an email via the Bryston "Contact form.

lostsoul

« Reply #769 on: 6 Sep 2014, 05:56 pm »
Hi,
I purchased BDP-2/BDA-2 units a few days ago, and I have some questions.

The software version on my BDP-2 is 2.04. Is it a good idea to upgrade to 2.06? I have many issues with the web interface on iPad/Safari.
I was amazed that exFAT was supported, so I formatted my 1 TB external USB drive using exFAT. Everything works fine, but now I wanted to set it as a scratch drive, but I received the error message "Can not use a disk formatted as exfat". Shall I reformat my hard drive?

Thanks,
Attila

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #770 on: 7 Sep 2014, 01:59 am »
Yes, updating to 2.06 is recommended. I believe to make the jump, you'll need to put your unit into service mode and notify Chris Rice. From then on, you can initiate firmware updates yourself.

exFAT is proprietary and MS hasn't released software to the public necessary for third parties to be able to write to exFAT disks. You can either reformat your drive as FAT32, or skip the trouble of doing so and just use a separate thumb drive for scratch.

Thanks and happy listening!

lostsoul

« Reply #771 on: 11 Sep 2014, 07:46 am »

Chris helped me immediately with the upgrade. Thank you for the great customer support!

I found a free tool for Windows to format FAT32 volumes, because Windows won't let you format >32GB partitions to FAT32:
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

I wrongly assumed that the last update was S2.06. It is actually S2.05 2014-08-18. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
Attila

R. Daneel

« Reply #772 on: 11 Sep 2014, 04:35 pm »
Hi Chris!

What improvements are there in the 2.06 version? Has the software bug with front panel navigation that we discussed been taken care of?

Cheers!
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #773 on: 12 Sep 2014, 01:34 am »
Hi Antun,

Well the bug with the virtual front panel (the software used to help debug problems wih the front panel remotely) has been fixed.  The issue regarding your thumb drive, I am unable to reproduce in he office.  Once the new firmware is released I'll be able to see what's causing it.

I've been a little tied up with the BOT and a recent issue concernin BDP-2's, hopefully both will be wrapped up after the weekend.  Hope I didn't jinx myself.

Cheers
Chris

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #774 on: 12 Sep 2014, 06:27 am »
I noticed last night that the display on my BDP-2 didn't update. It got hung up on the first song I played. Took a reboot to fix it.

Is that the display bug you are talking about?

- Garrett

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #775 on: 12 Sep 2014, 12:33 pm »
I noticed last night that the display on my BDP-2 didn't update. It got hung up on the first song I played. Took a reboot to fix it.

Is that the display bug you are talking about?

- Garrett

No, is it repeatable?

R. Daneel

« Reply #776 on: 12 Sep 2014, 01:47 pm »
Hi Antun,

Well the bug with the virtual front panel (the software used to help debug problems wih the front panel remotely) has been fixed.  The issue regarding your thumb drive, I am unable to reproduce in he office.  Once the new firmware is released I'll be able to see what's causing it.

I've been a little tied up with the BOT and a recent issue concernin BDP-2's, hopefully both will be wrapped up after the weekend.  Hope I didn't jinx myself.

Cheers
Chris

Thank you Chris!

Sure, no worries. Once the firmware is available, I'll install it and then you'll be able to see what's happening.

Cheers!
Antun

lostsoul

« Reply #777 on: 12 Sep 2014, 05:25 pm »
Setting a static IP address does not work in S2.05 2014-08-18. Is there a chance it will be fixed in the short term?

Also: is there a USB wireless dongle driver installed? If so, which one? It would make my life easier because my BDP-2 does not see the internet through the wireless bridge. This is probably a problem with the bridge, but setting a static address or using a USB dongle may help.

Thanks,
Attila 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #778 on: 15 Sep 2014, 12:43 pm »
Setting a static IP address does not work in S2.05 2014-08-18. Is there a chance it will be fixed in the short term?

Also: is there a USB wireless dongle driver installed? If so, which one? It would make my life easier because my BDP-2 does not see the internet through the wireless bridge. This is probably a problem with the bridge, but setting a static address or using a USB dongle may help.

Thanks,
Attila

Setting a static IP address should be functional, personally don't use it but it's been used by other customers.

I don't know how well the wifi portion of the firmware will work for you, but there is firmware installed for wifi adapters using the following chipsets.

Ralink
Realtek
Atheros

Cheers
Chris

lostsoul

« Reply #779 on: 16 Sep 2014, 02:12 pm »

Hi Chris,

that sounds amazing, I did not expect that USB wifi adapters would work.  :thumb:

First it seemed that SSID, password, etc was not saved because network settings did not display any of these for wlan0 in the web browser (firefox 31 on windows 7). However everything is set perfectly on the BDP-2. But wifi still does not work regardless if it is set to DHCP (result: interface down), or static IP:

Code: [Select]
bryston@bryston-bdp-2:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address  192.168.222.148
gateway 192.168.222.1
netmask  255.255.255.0

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid Cisco50191
wpa-psk XXXXXXXXXX

Any network access wants to use eth0, even if the ethernet cable is not plugged in.
This is what ifconfig displays:

Code: [Select]
bryston@bryston-bdp-2:/$ /usr/bin/inetutils-ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:03:2D:20:D8:52
          inet addr:192.168.222.148  Bcast:192.168.222.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:50450 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:76831 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:3495586  TX bytes:13526298
          Interrupt:16 Memory:feae0000-feb00000

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:03:2D:20:D8:53
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0  TX bytes:0
          Interrupt:19 Memory:febe0000-fec00000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:125993 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:125993 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:11627458  TX bytes:11627458

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1F:C6:20:C3:A4
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1506 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:145 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:187912  TX bytes:15053

When I set static address for wlan0, it still won't connect, but there is no "Interface down" in the network settings page.
In the end I could not make the wireless adapter work... which would have been awesome.
Sorry for the long post. If this is not the right thread for discussing these issues, please let me know.

Thanks,
Attila