BDP-2 Digital Player

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #600 on: 4 Feb 2014, 02:09 am »
Is it possible when making a playlist on the BDP-2 to be able to with that play list somehow put what you selected onto a thumb drive.
Must be some kind of program where it can be as simple as,create a list and transfer somehow when on the BDP-2 with a click of the mouse.
Tried the click and drag workout and for me it's not happening,actually pisses me off .

I'm working on it, hope to have it done before salon son and image.

Cheers
Chris

drummermitchell

« Reply #601 on: 4 Feb 2014, 04:09 am »
Great stuff Chris and I see I'll have to raise your after midnight wages to...............lets see hows about a $1.49 per hour.
Alright already perhaps a few bonuses also,jeeez help a guy out and look what......... :thumb:,THX.

shpritz

« Reply #602 on: 16 Feb 2014, 12:18 am »
Hi Chris; I have been enjoying my BDP-2 now for the past 9 months. I am running it to my DAC using the AES/EBU connection. Since this connection is essentially just passing 0's and 1's is there any added benefit to upgrading the cable itself. I know there is a definite audible difference between speaker cables and interconnects but was unsure if this was the case as well with properly shielded digital cables. Your thoughts???

EJS73

« Reply #603 on: 18 Feb 2014, 08:40 pm »
Hi Chris; I have been enjoying my BDP-2 now for the past 9 months. I am running it to my DAC using the AES/EBU connection. Since this connection is essentially just passing 0's and 1's is there any added benefit to upgrading the cable itself. I know there is a definite audible difference between speaker cables and interconnects but was unsure if this was the case as well with properly shielded digital cables. Your thoughts???

Can't vouch for Chris, but this is still debated territory. When I compared a stock 75ohm coax cable, an expensive one and a highly expensive one, differences could clearly be heard. But then the BDP is miles beyond a mac mini that supplies the same 0s and 1s to the same DAC... clearly plenty of optimization left in the digital audio chain.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #604 on: 18 Feb 2014, 09:02 pm »
Can't vouch for Chris, but this is still debated territory. When I compared a stock 75ohm coax cable, an expensive one and a highly expensive one, differences could clearly be heard. But then the BDP is miles beyond a mac mini that supplies the same 0s and 1s to the same DAC... clearly plenty of optimization left in the digital audio chain.
Yeah, I think any discussion about whether cables affect sound only matters in the context of the rest of the system. Thankfully, most of the dealers I've interacted with have been generous with weekend loans of cables for trials.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #605 on: 19 Feb 2014, 02:16 am »

My opinion/experience/understanding has always been that when it comes to cables moving digital audio signals the quality doesn't matter as long as it's capable of sending the data.  With that said, this opinion hasn't stopped people from responding to my posts, calling, emailing about how much better there super duper gold plated silver cables sound.  There is a difference in quality, I'd like to think a Bryston made cable is going to hold up better then some cheap cable sold at your local best buy or even monster.

The analog side of things is different, I won't bother arguing that; you do want to keep the signal as clear as possible.  I will tell you I use 14gauge solid copper core electrical wire between my B135 and Model Mini T speakers, I do these to have as few contacts as possible exposed to the air.

Cheers
Chris

shpritz

« Reply #606 on: 22 Feb 2014, 10:38 pm »
Hi Chris;
That's what I thought and will stick to my Bryston AES/EBU and put the dough into the BOT-1 when it comes out!!!

Dreamseeker

« Reply #607 on: 26 Feb 2014, 11:50 pm »
Have anyone compared different USB Flash drives on the BDP-2 and noticed any difference in sound quality? I've been using Sandisk 32GB Cruzer Glides,  and the sound has been excellent. Recently I purchased a Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 256GB, and just copied over a few albums. Am I just imagining things here or does the Kingston drive have a slightly drier character? I have not done a direct A/B test by copying the same albums over to the Sandisks, so then it might be just my imagination, or can there be some explanation why some drives sound better than others?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #608 on: 27 Feb 2014, 12:52 am »
Have anyone compared different USB Flash drives on the BDP-2 and noticed any difference in sound quality? I've been using Sandisk 32GB Cruzer Glides,  and the sound has been excellent. Recently I purchased a Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 256GB, and just copied over a few albums. Am I just imagining things here or does the Kingston drive have a slightly drier character? I have not done a direct A/B test by copying the same albums over to the Sandisks, so then it might be just my imagination, or can there be some explanation why some drives sound better than others?

Hi

No explanation I can offer but a number of customers seem to prefer the Cruzer.

james

Dreamseeker

« Reply #609 on: 27 Feb 2014, 06:30 pm »
Hi

No explanation I can offer but a number of customers seem to prefer the Cruzer.

james

OK, thanks. I've ordered two 128GB Cruzer Glides. They're quite cheap as they're considered low performance drives. Thankfully nobody knows they are high performance audio drives. That is until someone sees the opportunity to release them as the audiophile choice at an elevated price.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #610 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:20 pm »
OK, thanks. I've ordered two 128GB Cruzer Glides. They're quite cheap as they're considered low performance drives. Thankfully nobody knows they are high performance audio drives. That is until someone sees the opportunity to release them as the audiophile choice at an elevated price.

HI

The largest I could find was 64GB - where did you get the 128?

james

werd

« Reply #611 on: 27 Feb 2014, 09:19 pm »
My opinion/experience/understanding has always been that when it comes to cables moving digital audio signals the quality doesn't matter as long as it's capable of sending the data.  With that said, this opinion hasn't stopped people from responding to my posts, calling, emailing about how much better there super duper gold plated silver cables sound.  There is a difference in quality, I'd like to think a Bryston made cable is going to hold up better then some cheap cable sold at your local best buy or even monster.

The analog side of things is different, I won't bother arguing that; you do want to keep the signal as clear as possible.  I will tell you I use 14gauge solid copper core electrical wire between my B135 and Model Mini T speakers, I do these to have as few contacts as possible exposed to the air.

Cheers
Chris

audio blasphemy!

Dreamseeker

« Reply #612 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:02 pm »
HI

The largest I could find was 64GB - where did you get the 128?

james

The lowest price I could find here in Europe was Pixmania: link

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #613 on: 27 Feb 2014, 11:50 pm »
The lowest price I could find here in Europe was Pixmania: link

OK thanks - I will have a look over here

james

Dreamseeker

« Reply #614 on: 28 Feb 2014, 08:18 am »
OK thanks - I will have a look over here

james
They seem to have them at Amazon here.

budcook

« Reply #615 on: 2 Mar 2014, 08:58 pm »
I have a BDP-2/BDA-2 combination and I'm quite happy with it.  However, I was wondering if anyone has experience with streamers and can offer an opinion about the pros and cons of them vs something like the BDP.

Bud

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #616 on: 3 Mar 2014, 07:21 am »
I'm running a Sonos as well as a BDP-2 into my BDA-2. I know this may sound... goofy, but the BDP-2 makes music sound more natural... more like music. The Sonos gets the job done and works great for ambient music when i want control from a room or two away. But for any time I sit down and listen/enjoy music, the BDP-2 makes all the difference in the world. It makes me tap my toes, literally. The Sonos does no such thing. And that's using identical FLAC files from my server. When I use streaming services (Rhapsody, Last.fm, MOG, etc.), the quality goes down due to compression.

budcook

« Reply #617 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:35 pm »
I'm running a Sonos as well as a BDP-2 into my BDA-2. I know this may sound... goofy, but the BDP-2 makes music sound more natural... more like music. The Sonos gets the job done and works great for ambient music when i want control from a room or two away. But for any time I sit down and listen/enjoy music, the BDP-2 makes all the difference in the world. It makes me tap my toes, literally. The Sonos does no such thing. And that's using identical FLAC files from my server. When I use streaming services (Rhapsody, Last.fm, MOG, etc.), the quality goes down due to compression.

Thanks for the response.  There really isn't any reason to switch to a streamer unless it would improve sound quality over the BDP-2 and I doubt there is anything out there that could accomplish that. 

Bud

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #618 on: 4 Mar 2014, 02:00 am »
A squeezebox client is coming to the BDP in a future firmware upgrade, should give you all the streaming features you'd want.

Cheers
Chris

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #619 on: 4 Mar 2014, 02:06 am »
A squeezebox client is coming to the BDP in a future firmware upgrade, should give you all the streaming features you'd want.

Cheers
Chris

Seriously?  Do I understand I will be able to use my BDP1 along with my Squeezebox?

Thanks.

Mike