Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #520 on: 29 Oct 2013, 09:00 pm »
Thank's a lot.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #521 on: 30 Oct 2013, 04:04 am »
My Mac doesn't see the Samsung on the server (BDP-2).
Maybe I have to remove it, and format it. Fat32 or in other way ?
Thank's
dino

Hi Dino,

Have you seen this tutorial yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRsyU15-sB8&feature=youtu.be

Cheers,
Chris

dgb

« Reply #522 on: 30 Oct 2013, 03:59 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRsyU15-sB8&feature=youtu.be

Thank's Chris.
I tried but : the disk utility shows my ssd on the list, but the two bottom up, First Ald and Erase, don't work.
I tried with google crome and firefox.
Maybe I have to remove and format it outside, with my pc.
Thank's
dino

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #523 on: 31 Oct 2013, 04:41 am »
Hi Dino,

It might be more prudent to place the BDP into service mode and to email me the service id.  This will allow me to access the BDP by way of a VPN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0nfBG5xDrA

Cheers,
Chris

dgb

« Reply #524 on: 2 Nov 2013, 04:14 am »
Hi Chris, perfect.
I'll be at home the next week.
Please inform me about the hours are ok for you. I don't know your fuse.
Thank's
dino

dgb

« Reply #525 on: 4 Nov 2013, 05:37 am »
Done through Safari. thank you anyway for your time. dino

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #526 on: 4 Nov 2013, 03:43 pm »
Hi Chris,

I've read a variety of articles mentioning the benefits of a real-time OS for audio quality. Do you echo this sentiment? To what degree do you think it matters?

Best regards,
Gary

Subject: Re: real time os

Hi Gary,

It's essentially snake oil, the idea behind a real time OS is to give certain tasks absolute priority for best possible timing.  In the case of audio this sounds like a good thing, however it's a non-issue and would only be useful if the CPU running the OS where also directly controlling the analog signal outputting the audio.  This is not the case for the BDP or even average desktop computers as they both have sounds cards that handle this task.  As for any application towards outputting the data to the sound card, whether that be. A traditional sound card or a USB DAC out BDP is configured to buffer as much data as possible into system memory.  There are two buffers and input buffer that is 2KB in size (MPD) and a output buffer that will use as much memory that is available (ALSA).  As the songs in the playlist are decoded by the system, the decoded material is then stored in system memory until it's handed off to the sound output device (sound card or USB dac). 

Think of a barrel with a small whole in the bottom being filled with water.  The water escaping from the bottom of the barrel is the data being sent to the sound output device, the barrel itself is the buffer and the water filling the barrel is the computer reading the data.  So if the computer becomes occupied doing another task, the flow slows down or stops all together;
but it's ok because the barrel is still full of water and as long as water remains in the the barrel it will continue to flow out at a constant pace.

If you venture into the BDP's settings page, under services you'll notice some statistics, one of which is system memory.  As the playback music, the larger your playlist becomes the memory becomes used.  This is the BDP buffering as much audio as possible, however if you skip a song it has to start over.

You can test this by playing some music off of a USB drive, once it has started playing for 15-20 seconds.  Pull the thumb drive out and the BDP should continue playing for a few seconds.  It would play longer but the BDP is configured to send the stop command once it's realized the drive has been pulled.

Hope this information helps Gary, feel free to email me with any further questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Chris

Embedded Linux Engineer
Web Application Developer
Bryston Ltd.

dgb

« Reply #527 on: 6 Nov 2013, 01:34 pm »
pasting time :
from USB Key to internal SSD = about 4 GB/Hour,
from Mac + external HD through modem to internal SSD = about 8 GB/Hour.
Both way very, very slow.
Is it normal ?
Thank's
dino

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #528 on: 6 Nov 2013, 04:14 pm »
Hi Dino,

The speed varies on your home network, if your using a BDP2 with a router that has an integrated 1Gb switch with a computer that also has a 1Gb network interface you should see speeds ranging from 30MB/s (USB thumb drive) up to 80MB/s (SSD attached via SATA).  If any part of the network is limited to 100Mb, then your speeds will vary between 4-8MB/s.

Cheers,
Chris

dgb

« Reply #529 on: 6 Nov 2013, 05:15 pm »
Hi Dino,

The speed varies on your home network, if your using a BDP2 with a router that has an integrated 1Gb switch with a computer that also has a 1Gb network interface you should see speeds ranging from 30MB/s (USB thumb drive) up to 80MB/s (SSD attached via SATA).  If any part of the network is limited to 100Mb, then your speeds will vary between 4-8MB/s.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,
why the pasting is slower, about half speed, with the USB key in the BDP ?
Thank's
dino

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #530 on: 6 Nov 2013, 06:10 pm »
Hi Chris,
why the pasting is slower, about half speed, with the USB key in the BDP ?
Thank's
dino

Hi Dino,

I'm not sure if i understand the question, but USB thumb drives are much slower then a USB hard drive.

Cheers,
Chris

dgb

« Reply #531 on: 6 Nov 2013, 07:35 pm »
I think that it is the reason.
Step by step I'll have all my CD on the SSD.
Most important for me : BDP vs PC and Mac, no story !
thank's
dino

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #532 on: 13 Nov 2013, 12:10 pm »
Hi Folks,

Check out the latest review on the Bryston BDA2 and BDP2 combo in the November issue of Hi-Fi News and Record Review Magazine in the UK.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #533 on: 13 Nov 2013, 03:21 pm »
Hello!

I have a question regarding BDP-2 digital player. Now, this may seem a bit strange but I was wondering if there was a feature that would switch the channels so that the lleft channel is on the right and the right channel on the left. The reason why I am asking this is because the tendency of some CD-ROM drives to rip audio CDs incorrectly. For instance, I have an LG DVD drive and I have now realized that there are several dozen discs that have been ripped incorrectly and I am quite sure all the settings in Exact audio copy software were correct. This particular software has a well explained manual and it does suggest some computer drives do rip audio CDs incorrectly and the software provides a special feature called "invert channels" to compensate for this. In my case, the discs were already ripped and I don't have them anymore for they were not mine in the first place. It was my oversight that lead to this because I didn't listen to the ripped files but the instruments are definitely panned to the opposite channel.

It could perhas be possible for the BDP-2 to read the data from the built-in drive, processed accordingly and then overwrite the data on the drive.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #534 on: 13 Nov 2013, 03:34 pm »
Hello!

I have a question regarding BDP-2 digital player. Now, this may seem a bit strange but I was wondering if there was a feature that would switch the channels so that the lleft channel is on the right and the right channel on the left. The reason why I am asking this is because the tendency of some CD-ROM drives to rip audio CDs incorrectly. For instance, I have an LG DVD drive and I have now realized that there are several dozen discs that have been ripped incorrectly and I am quite sure all the settings in Exact audio copy software were correct. This particular software has a well explained manual and it does suggest some computer drives do rip audio CDs incorrectly and the software provides a special feature called "invert channels" to compensate for this. In my case, the discs were already ripped and I don't have them anymore for they were not mine in the first place. It was my oversight that lead to this because I didn't listen to the ripped files but the instruments are definitely panned to the opposite channel.

It could perhas be possible for the BDP-2 to read the data from the built-in drive, processed accordingly and then overwrite the data on the drive.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

I do not think so but I will ask Chris.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #535 on: 13 Nov 2013, 03:50 pm »
Hi Antun

I do not think so but I will ask Chris.

james

Thanks mate!

joc3721

• Departure Audio
« Reply #536 on: 15 Nov 2013, 03:58 pm »
Can the BDP-2 play music completely disconnected from an internet/ehternet connection?  For example, with a thumb drive inserted and using the front panel only to play/select tracks, no external software.  In other words, use it like a CD player where the directly inserted drive is the cd.  I tried to do this  a few months ago and it wasn't possible (according to Bryston) bu was told it's a fix that could be coming.  This is useful if taking the BDP-2 to a location where there is no connection available. 

EJS73

« Reply #537 on: 15 Nov 2013, 04:04 pm »
Can the BDP-2 play music completely disconnected from an internet/ehternet connection?  For example, with a thumb drive inserted and using the front panel only to play/select tracks, no external software.  In other words, use it like a CD player where the directly inserted drive is the cd.  I tried to do this  a few months ago and it wasn't possible (according to Bryston) bu was told it's a fix that could be coming.  This is useful if taking the BDP-2 to a location where there is no connection available.

Yes - that's how I use it exclusively. Pop in the thumb drive, select folder, and play. The BDP recognises just about any folder / directory structure, too, and automatically plays music in subfolders beneath the selected folder.

Cheers,

EJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #538 on: 16 Nov 2013, 01:55 pm »
Hi Folks,

Check out the latest review on the Bryston BDA2 and BDP2 combo in the November issue of Hi-Fi News and Record Review Magazine in the UK.

james

Hi Folks,

Should have the complete PDF of the Review soon but I am very proud of the Jitter numbers measured by Paul Miller in the technical section of the review - would you believe 10 psec  :thumb:

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #539 on: 16 Nov 2013, 05:36 pm »
Hi Folks,

Should have the complete PDF of the Review soon but I am very proud of the Jitter numbers measured by Paul Miller in the technical section of the review - would you believe 10 psec  :thumb:

james

Hi James!

That's really great! The lowest number I witnessed was 80ps on a Pioneer DVD player. The oscilloscope trace was almost a perfect square. But I suspect most optical media players are well above 100ps. Specifications don't show us the whole picture I think but they are possibly a good a good showcase of machine's capabilities. It is just the way it seems to me.

But please tell me, were you able to get a reply from Chris on channel reverse feature in the BDP?

Cheers!
Antun