Bryston SP4

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston SP4
« Reply #460 on: 16 Apr 2020, 02:30 pm »
Will Gary be able to soon stop by and answer the outstanding questions?

I had a number and with Witchdoctor pointing out Storm's latest release which I can only assume applies to their new MK2 platforms with new HDMI eARC boards. It remains to be seen if Bryston will follow the development path, if not they would be pre-MK2 thus anything discussed from Storm as to additions and updates from now on would be irrelevant to the SP4 as it's already been left behind with the MK1 hardware, OS and HDMI board.

Hi Rod

Do you have our SP4?

james

Rod_S

« Reply #461 on: 16 Apr 2020, 02:43 pm »
No I don't.

As I've mentioned I'm not about to drop a small fortune, at least for me, over $20k here in Canada on a product with no clear product path. Do I want it, most likely at least what Storm offers as it's considerably less expensive than the Trinnov. If there was a Storm dealer locally I wouldn't be monitoring so closely the SP4 as I would be focused on the actual Storm product but with no Storm dealers and a local Bryston dealer I have easy access to locally purchase it and a dealer to provide support.

Both Storm and Trinnov are continually focused on the present and future and are constantly bringing updates to the products to keep them on the cutting edge and for my hard earned $20k that's what I want to see.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #462 on: 16 Apr 2020, 02:59 pm »
No I don't.

As I've mentioned I'm not about to drop a small fortune, at least for me, over $20k here in Canada on a product with no clear product path. Do I want it, most likely at least what Storm offers as it's considerably less expensive than the Trinnov. If there was a Storm dealer locally I wouldn't be monitoring so closely the SP4 as I would be focused on the actual Storm product but with no Storm dealers and a local Bryston dealer I have easy access to locally purchase it and a dealer to provide support.

Both Storm and Trinnov are continually focused on the present and future and are constantly bringing updates to the products to keep them on the cutting edge and for my hard earned $20k that's what I want to see.

Hi Rod,,

Well we are working hand in hand with Storm so I would assume we would be offering the updates as they come along but after a few months as they will keep new updates proprietary for 6 months or so I believe.

Also we plan on offering some updates of our own going forward - EX DAC section.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #463 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:01 pm »
Thanks

A 6 month delay would be a bummer but certainly something I could live with if it meant the SP4 was guaranteed to get everything the Storm units receive. I've been getting some info in regards to the Storm's current capabilities and it's great and with the upcoming planned firmware updates it just keeps getting better.

With the SP4 platform though am I correct in stating it's officially locked at 16 channels and Bryston will not be offering hardware upgrades to allow it to expand to 24 and 32 channels like the Storm units? If so that would be the biggest decision a potential customer would have to make as to which direction to go, Storm or Bryston because if a customer needed or expected to need beyond 16 channels they would have to go Storm, or Trinnov as those would be the only 2 offering so many channels. I actually think the Trinnov32 can now be expanded to 48 channels

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #464 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:06 pm »
Thanks

A 6 month delay would be a bummer but certainly something I could live with if it meant the SP4 was guaranteed to get everything the Storm units receive. I've been getting some info in regards to the Storm's current capabilities and it's great and with the upcoming planned firmware updates it just keeps getting better.

With the SP4 platform though am I correct in stating it's officially locked at 16 channels and Bryston will not be offering hardware upgrades to allow it to expand to 24 and 32 channels like the Storm units? If so that would be the biggest decision a potential customer would have to make as to which direction to go, Storm or Bryston because if a customer needed or expected to need beyond 16 channels they would have to go Storm, or Trinnov as those would be the only 2 offering so many channels. I actually think the Trinnov32 can now be expanded to 48 channels

Hi Rod

Correct  I do not see us moving beyond 16 channels and most of our customers do not  install systems beyond an ATMOS setup and many opt for 5.1.  I think our updates going forward will be geared more towards adding 2 channel performance features such as 2 channel analog bypass and 2 channel DAC upgrades etc..

james

Rod_S

« Reply #465 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:31 pm »
Thanks

When would you expect to be able to publish the price lists for upgrades for current SP4 owners who want to move to the MK2 platform and the new HDMI eARC board as well as and I'm assuming this would need to be a new product offering actual SP4 MK2's for those like myself who would want to avoid the hardware upgrade hassle and just jump in with an actual MK chassis from the very beginning?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #466 on: 17 Apr 2020, 02:55 pm »
Thanks

When would you expect to be able to publish the price lists for upgrades for current SP4 owners who want to move to the MK2 platform and the new HDMI eARC board as well as and I'm assuming this would need to be a new product offering actual SP4 MK2's for those like myself who would want to avoid the hardware upgrade hassle and just jump in with an actual MK chassis from the very beginning?

Hi Rod

I think Gary is working on that now but to be honest I do not know of any customers that have asked about upgrades so far.  I will ask him if he can give us an update.

james
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2020, 04:58 pm by James Tanner »

Rod_S

« Reply #467 on: 17 Apr 2020, 04:17 pm »
That would be great, thanks.

gbaby

« Reply #468 on: 21 Apr 2020, 10:18 pm »
Hi Rod

I think Gary is working on that now but to be honest I do not know of any customers that have asked about upgrades so far.  I will ask him if he can give us an update.

james

The reason none of your customers ask about an upgrade for the SP4 is that it was purchased because they wanted ATMOS, not two channel sound. The SP3 is for those who want two channel. So I'd stick to the company's plan.

witchdoctor

« Reply #469 on: 22 Apr 2020, 12:16 am »
Hi Rod

Correct  I do not see us moving beyond 16 channels and most of our customers do not  install systems beyond an ATMOS setup and many opt for 5.1.  I think our updates going forward will be geared more towards adding 2 channel performance features such as 2 channel analog bypass and 2 channel DAC upgrades etc..

james

I get it, this is a piece for customers who want two channel first, Atmos second, and 16 channel third, is that right?

witchdoctor

« Reply #470 on: 22 Apr 2020, 03:30 am »
I think that makes sense from a differentiation standpoint. It will be tougher from an engineering standpoint. I like how Nuprime had one of their top of the line dacs integrated with the their processor. You figure why buy the DAC when you can get the processor with the DAC included inside.
Where I REALLY think the SP4 could knock it out of the park is when you use Bryston Active speakers and eliminate the BAX-1 unit and run the DSP through the SP4.
I have all active speakers in my immersive HT and it is a home run out of the park. For an SP4 active setup I would do 5 active mini T's as base channels and then 4 TOW on walls with a traditional amp as height channels. I find the rear speakers as a nice to have not a need to have in an immersive theater. 
You find the height speakers used all the time, the rear speakers maybe 10% of the time that you can actually notice them during a movie. Again nice to have, not need to have.

As for the focus on two channel I guess that would help Bryston stand out against Trinnov.

Personally I prefer Auromatic upmixing to 2 channel so it would be better to get the Storm path of upgrades like the new HDMI card.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #471 on: 22 Apr 2020, 11:30 am »
I think that makes sense from a differentiation standpoint. It will be tougher from an engineering standpoint. I like how Nuprime had one of their top of the line dacs integrated with the their processor. You figure why buy the DAC when you can get the processor with the DAC included inside.
Where I REALLY think the SP4 could knock it out of the park is when you use Bryston Active speakers and eliminate the BAX-1 unit and run the DSP through the SP4.
I have all active speakers in my immersive HT and it is a home run out of the park. For an SP4 active setup I would do 5 active mini T's as base channels and then 4 TOW on walls with a traditional amp as height channels. I find the rear speakers as a nice to have not a need to have in an immersive theater. 
You find the height speakers used all the time, the rear speakers maybe 10% of the time that you can actually notice them during a movie. Again nice to have, not need to have.

As for the focus on two channel I guess that would help Bryston stand out against Trinnov.

Personally I prefer Auromatic upmixing to 2 channel so it would be better to get the Storm path of upgrades like the new HDMI card.

Hi WD

We already have a setting to use the SP4 with our active speakers.  In fact we did that at a show last year.  Seems to work quite well.

james

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #472 on: 11 May 2020, 11:27 am »
James :
Any Dirac Live Bass Control trials yet?
Subwoofer 2 mains crossover optimization , this is where automatic room correction should really shine.
There is a lot more to subwoofer integration than simply setting speaker distances and a X-over frequency.

Shawn

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #473 on: 11 May 2020, 11:33 am »
James :
Any Dirac Live Bass Control trials yet?
Subwoofer 2 mains crossover optimization , this is where automatic room correction should really shine.
There is a lot more to subwoofer integration than simply setting speaker distances and a X-over frequency.

Shawn

Hi Shawn

I know Gary is putting together an update on the SP-4 which he should post soon.

I agree that bass control can help as long as you keep it below 100Hz or so.  Also do not under any conditions try and boost low frequencies.  Just reduce the peaks.

james

Alphonse

« Reply #474 on: 22 May 2020, 05:19 pm »
I am also patiently waiting on definitive SP4 update info. Specifically plans for HDMI upgrade path. Will it be the Storm MK2 solution or whatever MDS comes up with to replace the HSR-72Q?

Thanks, Al

Rod_S

« Reply #475 on: 28 Aug 2020, 05:26 pm »
It's been just over 3 months now since the last post here waiting for update info.

Is there anything that can be shared?

Extreman

« Reply #476 on: 16 Sep 2020, 10:54 pm »
It's been just over 3 months now since the last post here waiting for update info.

Is there anything that can be shared?
I guess the silence sums it up.....

Rod_S

« Reply #477 on: 17 Sep 2020, 01:12 am »
Unfortunately that seems to be the case.

gbaby

« Reply #478 on: 7 Apr 2021, 02:12 pm »
I remember a while back how witchdoctor use to ask if the SP4 would get VRR, ALLM and 2.1 in general for gaming. Actually, 2.1 was invented primarily for 8k. I have since purchased a Sony A9G television, and now I understand his concern. But, even the TV manufacturers are trying to iron out the new gaming features in 2021. So, why would one expect Bryston to take the lead and iron out and fix these new features. Some expect too much from Bryston. Too bad. 

Rod_S

« Reply #479 on: 7 Apr 2021, 03:10 pm »
It's not really a problem for Bryston to solve as it relates to HDMI 2.1 since they don't build their own boards. In the case of the SP4, I believe that is MDS, I think that's who made the boards for the now essentially obsolete (not in the truest sense of the word but it's an outdated product none the less) Storm MK 1 platform which is what the SP4 is based on. With Storm having already moved to the MK 2 platform and also brining in a new partner for HDMI boards, moving away from MDS, with no future plan for the SP 4 announced by Bryston it's certainly looking like the SP4 would be stuck with what it has. I'm not sure if the old MK 1 platforms will be compatible with the new HDMI boards in the works at Storm. Also with Storm moving away from MDS it then may be up to Bryston to take the lead if they wish to continue to use MDS boards if they ever intend the SP4 platform to have HDMI 2.1.

The Sony A9G, that's a prior year OLED isn't it? If so it's 4k, not 8k and the gaming features on it are gimped to say the least with it not being HDMI 2.1 so for you at the moment HDMI 2.1 is irrelevant. Even the new Sony's this year are a joke for HDMI 2.1 implementation as they only have 2 inputs, one of which is eArc so any gamer having more than 1 gaming source has to manually unplug one gaming device and plug in another if they are taking advantage of eArch for any streaming services built into the tv. Also Sony has yet to implement VRR. But again, coming back to the Bryston situation, Sony, unlike LG and Samsung do not make their own HDMI boards and are at the mercy of the features built into the boards they do purchase, for Sony I believe it's mediatek and there is no guarantee Mediatek will ever be able to iron out the VR issues.