BANG & OLUFSEN BEOLAB 6000 MK2 MODIFICATIONS

OSIB16

Re: BANG & OLUFSEN BEOLAB 6000 MK2 MODIFICATIONS
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jun 2021, 12:48 am »
When I was in high school, I used to go to my local Hifi store and DROOL over this setup! Despite being several decades old at this point, this system still looks like it's from the future. Thanks for sharing your mods. Looking forward to your updates on performance.  :popcorn:

Agreed. The futuristic looks are one of the main things that attracted me to the B&O stuff. Also, when I was a kid I used to see it all for sale in Harrods (London), where I wished I could own such equipment but sadly could never afford the stratospheric prices. By the way I created the touchscreen tablet/stand myself (on the right in the photo).

OSIB16

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jun 2021, 01:06 am »
Below is a chart I made up, which contains useful information about the correct wiring gauges/metals. Took me approximately ten years to compile the knowledge. This is all stuff I learned from top experts in the Hi-Fi field like Jeff Glowacki, Martin Colloms, Rick Schultz etc etc. I applied it to the Beolab 6000 modifications…

OSIB16

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2021, 04:12 pm »
Below is another modification I did to the 90 degree angle rubber tube bass port that I previously installed. Basically; with the use of a craft knife and a Dremel machine I sculpted/increased the inside diameter of the tube at one end, which allows more air to be forced in. This means that the diameter of the ‘bass port’ inside the cabinet is now 1.2 INCHES DIAMETER, whereas the part of the ‘bass port’ sticking out of the front of the speaker is 0.8 INCHES DIAMETER. The result of this is an instant improvement in the bass response which is definitely more bouncy/punchy sounding as well as tighter. Not to mention that the Beolabs can also handle even greater sound pressures as I turn up the volume much further than ever before.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2021, 05:18 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2021, 04:14 pm »

OSIB16

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2021, 06:16 pm »
Ok here is the update. So far I must have put around 200 hours of playtime through these speakers since the modifications. They are now fully run in. Below are my comments…

UPSIDES:-

A definite overall improvement in sound quality. More revealing than the unmodified original Beolab 6000. When listening to well recorded music, and connected to a Beosound 3000 Hifi unit via an offboard DAC, you are presented with a beautifully holographic 3D soundstage. The walls of my living room vanish, and I hear sounds coming from outside the boundaries of the speakers, even extending to past the front wall. I also notice that the these speakers like to go significantly louder without distress ((bearing in mind that I am using home-made Kimber interconnects between the speakers and the Beosound 3000 unit)).

DOWNSIDES:-

Speakers take a while to warm up. Immediately after being switched on from cold; the sound is a bit hollow, pinched and lacking in bass. However; these shortcomings gradually go away after the the first hour of playtime.

IMPORTANT NOTE…. I used the wrong size bass reflex tube. Needed to swap it for a larger size (2cm diameter hole).

Pez

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jul 2021, 06:34 pm »
Nice update. Regarding warm up, that's every system I've ever heard period. Not a downside, merely a result of obeying the laws of physics.  :wink:

Let us know what it sounds like with the properly sized tube.  :thumb:

OSIB16

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jul 2021, 08:42 pm »
Nice update. Regarding warm up, that's every system I've ever heard period. Not a downside, merely a result of obeying the laws of physics.  :wink:

Let us know what it sounds like with the properly sized tube.  :thumb:

Yes I will do. By the way, my next Bang & Olufsen project is going to be the mighty Beolab 1 speakers. These babies are monsters at an imposing height of just over 6 Feet tall.

OSIB16

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2021, 09:26 pm »
There is also another downside that I forgot to mention:-

The modded Beolab 6000’s hate room corners. They need to be kept at least 1.5 feet away from corners, otherwise the bass loses definition which in turn; clouds the 3D soundstage.

OSIB16

« Reply #28 on: 10 Aug 2021, 08:09 pm »
This should be my final post regarding the mods to my Beolab 6000. After experimenting with the different bass reflex port sizes, my final conclusion is that after adding the larger sized port; the bass response receded badly to the point where it was virtually non existent :duh:Therefore I would recommend staying with original port that comes with the speaker. That way you will get the best extended bass possible from the tiny 3 inch woofers. I am now going to restore the original port. Other then that, the overall sound quality has a real magical quality (post modifications).

Nick B

« Reply #29 on: 10 Aug 2021, 08:53 pm »
It’s been great following this project. What about your Beosound 3000…. has it already been modded?

I’ve been at various websites today looking at vintage B & O gear. I owned one of their linear tracking turntables in the 1980s, probably a Beogram 4002, so I’ve always had a fondness for their stuff.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #30 on: 10 Aug 2021, 08:56 pm »
I have two B&O turntables, both in the storage shed, both inoperable.  Local repair guy won't touch them, and their not worth sending off to be fixed.

OSIB16

« Reply #31 on: 12 Aug 2021, 01:57 pm »
It’s been great following this project. What about your Beosound 3000…. has it already been modded?

I’ve been at various websites today looking at vintage B & O gear. I owned one of their linear tracking turntables in the 1980s, probably a Beogram 4002, so I’ve always had a fondness for their stuff.

Thanks. I have a particular fondness of the Beosound 3000; so much so, that this is the third unit that I have used. I have not modified it internally (apart from permanently attaching a Jongo A2 Bluetooth music receiver onto the back of it). Unfortunately the pcb’s and wiring look so numerous and complex, that I didn’t think it was worth the hassle. The oldest B&O kit that I have owned dates back to the years 1999 - 2000. Personally I thought that it would be a bit risky owning any of their equipment from the 70’s and 80’s (containing internal components that are at the the end of their life), unless you are willing to do a complete ground up restoration with brand new caps, resistors etc.

Nick B

« Reply #32 on: 12 Aug 2021, 04:22 pm »
Thanks. I have a particular fondness of the Beosound 3000; so much so, that this is the third unit that I have used. I have not modified it internally (apart from permanently attaching a Jongo A2 Bluetooth music receiver onto the back of it). Unfortunately the pcb’s and wiring look so numerous and complex, that I didn’t think it was worth the hassle. The oldest B&O kit that I have owned dates back to the years 1999 - 2000. Personally I thought that it would be a bit risky owning any of their equipment from the 70’s and 80’s (containing internal components that are at the the end of their life), unless you are willing to do a complete ground up restoration with brand new caps, resistors etc.

I had seen some B & O service manuals online, so that’s one of the reasons I was wondering. If you ever do another B & O project, pls post it again  :thumb:

OSIB16

« Reply #33 on: 12 Aug 2021, 06:41 pm »
I had seen some B & O service manuals online, so that’s one of the reasons I was wondering. If you ever do another B & O project, pls post it again  :thumb:

Don’t worry I will. I just recently purchased a pair of the largest B&O speakers ever made (BEOLAB 1). Already started modifying the midrange drivers. I will post as a separate project on here soon.

Nick B

« Reply #34 on: 12 Aug 2021, 07:42 pm »
Don’t worry I will. I just recently purchased a pair of the largest B&O speakers ever made (BEOLAB 1). Already started modifying the midrange drivers. I will post as a separate project on here soon.

Great. Am looking forward to it  :thumb:

kabloooie

« Reply #35 on: 26 Aug 2023, 12:58 am »
Ok here is the update. So far I must have put around 200 hours of playtime through these speakers since the modifications. They are now fully run in. Below are my comments…

another great reference for Beolabs, thank you so much :)

UPSIDES:-

A definite overall improvement in sound quality. More revealing than the unmodified original Beolab 6000. When listening to well recorded music, and connected to a Beosound 3000 Hifi unit via an offboard DAC, you are presented with a beautifully holographic 3D soundstage. The walls of my living room vanish, and I hear sounds coming from outside the boundaries of the speakers, even extending to past the front wall. I also notice that the these speakers like to go significantly louder without distress ((bearing in mind that I am using home-made Kimber interconnects between the speakers and the Beosound 3000 unit)).

DOWNSIDES:-

Speakers take a while to warm up. Immediately after being switched on from cold; the sound is a bit hollow, pinched and lacking in bass. However; these shortcomings gradually go away after the the first hour of playtime.

IMPORTANT NOTE…. I used the wrong size bass reflex tube. Needed to swap it for a larger size (2cm diameter hole).