Bluetooth receiver with spdif coax or optical outputs

rif

• Not a cowboy
I wasn't really sure where to post this..

Looking for recommendations or insights regarding Bluetooth devices.

I'm looking for a device that can receive audio over Bluetooth and output into standard spdif, coax or optical.  I'd like to stream from my tablet to this device, which would hook up to my dac. This would be for occasional listening, main gear is a daphile player and vinyl.

Most of the devices on Amazon have built in dacs and analog outputs only.

A few have digital outputs. I don't know much about Bluetooth, and don't want to rely solely on mfg descriptions.

sunnydaze

Re: Bluetooth receiver with spdif coax or optical outputs
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2022, 03:02 am »
BlueSound Node.   It has 2-way Bluetooth, in and out, and digital outputs.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2022, 03:36 am »
It does a lot more than I'm looking for, and is more than I want to spend. 

I'm looking for a simple gadget that does basically one thing and one thing well.  And under $100.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2022, 04:13 pm »
I wonder if you can find one of these in the US?

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649833665-yamaha-yba-11-bluetooth-receiver/

Appears to meet the $ and functionality (used at least).

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2022, 02:06 pm »
I am using this for my bedroom stereo which I send to from my laptop.  I'm very happy with it!

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-BTR01-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-with-24-bit-48-kHz-Optical-Coaxial-RCA-Outputs-230-512

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2022, 05:17 pm »
I'm now finding more devices on Amazon, the search feature missed them.  But when I view one, amazon recommends a few others.

I think I can find enough to make up a short list, which I'll post here in case anyone else is interested. But I'd still like to hear recommendations and opinions.

@Yog Sothoth that one looks nice, but it uses older Bluetooth technology,  it's not aptx or aptxhd,  which I'm discovering is important.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2022, 07:44 pm »
I did enjoy the Focal bluetooth receiver I used for a bit, it was APTX and much better than a previous standard bluetooth receiver.

But the Focal was a DAC, no digital outputs like you are seeking.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2022, 07:52 pm »

@Yog Sothoth that one looks nice, but it uses older Bluetooth technology,  it's not aptx or aptxhd,  which I'm discovering is important.

Good point, yes that is true.  Hopefully they will have an updated model at some point.

For my use case it is fine as is.  It's only for my bedroom system, on which I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 

Nonetheless, I'll be curious to see your compendium!

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2022, 04:33 pm »
How's this?

https://outlawaudio.com/shop/accessories/36-btr-200d-bluetooth-receiver.html

"You've been looking for a wireless option to stream content, but you want more than CD quality sound. The Outlaw Audio BTR-250D offers the 24 bit resolution you are after, via aptX HD, and sports both analog outputs as well as a digital optical output.

If you have audio/visual media and you need the audio sent to your main theater or stereo system, the BTR-250D utilizes aptX Low Latency so that your audio stays in sync with your video."

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2022, 04:37 pm »
How's this?

https://outlawaudio.com/shop/accessories/36-btr-200d-bluetooth-receiver.html

"You've been looking for a wireless option to stream content, but you want more than CD quality sound. The Outlaw Audio BTR-250D offers the 24 bit resolution you are after, via aptX HD, and sports both analog outputs as well as a digital optical output.

If you have audio/visual media and you need the audio sent to your main theater or stereo system, the BTR-250D utilizes aptX Low Latency so that your audio stays in sync with your video."

Wow!  At first glance that looks like the ticket!

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2022, 11:32 pm »
I'm still searching, but I'm falling down the alibaba/aliexpress hole...

Yes, the outlaw audio seems good, but I don't fully trust them.  There's an ongoing debacle with them trying to make and sell a high end av receiver, which doesn't put them in a good light.  And I've heard that their amps are just rebadged ATI amps.

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2022, 11:49 pm »
Yes, the outlaw audio seems good, but I don't fully trust them... And I've heard that their amps are just rebadged ATI amps.

Outlaw has been around for a long time. I bought a Model 975 in 2013 and it worked flawlessly for 6 years. The company has always responded quickly to emails.
A rebadged ATI is not a bad thing.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2022, 01:02 am »
Outlaw has been around for a long time. I bought a Model 975 in 2013 and it worked flawlessly for 6 years. The company has always responded quickly to emails.
A rebadged ATI is not a bad thing.

I agree, except I have read a lot of frustration on their forum about their products quirks.

Anyway, I think I've found their Bluetooth device as a generic. The pictures look too identical for them not to be. The silkscreen in the back is identical.  And note 2 unique "features".  The front has an antenna next to a nice power button.  And on the back, the left/right rca jacks are reversed from the normal. 

First pic is Outlaw, 2nd and 3rd are alibaba.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2022, 02:00 am »
And it's on Amazon, costs a more than alibaba of course but without the alibaba hassle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V5Z5Q12/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_GM61HT9Y9CP314R16W5A

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2022, 02:46 am »
I narrowed it down to 3, and I'm actually going to buy all of them since the price is low.  Once you start digging, you'll get into analysis paralysis quickly.

Notes:
* I eliminated alibaba as a source, it's more complicated and is really geared towards companies not consumers.
* All the latest use qualcomm csr8675 Bluetooth chip, which has aptx hd, etc...
* Eliminated the outlawaudio and its siblings.  Nothing wrong with it, just couldn't get myself to spend $130 (outlaw) when you could get it from alibaba for $60 with shipping.

So it's 1 from amazon and 2 from aliexpress

Douk Audio: pretty much does the same as the others, has some info leds, and the description at least tries to target us by talking and name dropping components.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5AMGR8

I've never used aliexpress so this may be interesting.  Both of these seem to function the same, I ordered both since they are so cheap anyway.  I picked these 2 because they DON'T have a dac.  So I'm guaranteed digital Bluetooth to digital spdif.  At least I think

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32864150091.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003369220870.html