Hagerman Chime not producing sound from red rca output

tcnicholas

I have a Chime that is not producing sound from the red output rca jack.   I have a high quality multimeter and a 85a soldering unit, although I do not have experience with trouble shooting electronics. I am not the original owner of this unit and some parts have been modified after the original Hagerman build.

Q1) What would I need to do to identify how to correct this ?   

Q2) Jim, Do you repair units after they have been in the field and been modified?

Tom

dnewman

Re: Hagerman Chime not producing sound from red rca output
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm »
Well, if you had spares of either or both of the two smaller tubes, you can swap them out and see if that makes a difference.  That is, it could be that the 12ax7 or 12au7 has suffered some shipping damage and now a channel is out.  (Both tubes handle both channels: this is NOT a case where one tube represents one channel and the other tube the other.)

Dan

tcnicholas

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2011, 01:21 am »
Dan:
I shipped the unit back to Hagerman today for Jim to go thru and give it a once over.  Thank you for the tube advise...the unit is already in route.  I will keep you in the loop as to what Jim identifys.
Tom

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2011, 11:26 am »
With one channel working correctly, you have a perfect reference for testing with your multi-meter. Inject a test tone into both channels, then measure both the AC and DC voltage at each solder joint.