Dynaco PAS-4 (tube) preamp with phono stage - $400.00 - SOLD!

TheChairGuy

I've been thinking about selling this for some time now - it's a very good pre-amp made 1993-1996.

It has nothing to do with the old Dynaco...this was made under the auspices of Panor Corporation - the current owners of the name.  I must say, they did the old Dynaco name proud with this effort. This is a tube preamp - 6 in all (4 x 6922/6N1P and 2 x 12AX7....only a pair of 6922/6N1P's make up the line stage...the other 4 are the phono stage tubes).  It was made in the US...reportedly by John Nunez of MFA fame.

It is a very good, and versatile preamp.  It has an IEC (I simply don't know why, but it does respond to those 75" that make up power cables - lord, I wish it weren't so :wink:), a super quiet and worthy phono stage (40 db gain/MM or HIMC only, but -86db noise level below 10mv input), subwoofer outs, mono switch, tape in-outs, lots of inputs (including internal phono), and an EQ/External Processing Loop (no bass / treble controls, however).  It does not have remote - it was not offered on this series.

It has the chrome knob option...and retailed new for $1100.00 list.  I bought it for $600.

I have owned it for 5 years...and it has surpassed all the preamps I threw at it in that time: Dynaco PAS-3, Odyssey Tempest Extreme, Hafler 915, IRD Purist LLC among them. Most of these were originally sold in J & R Music - with bad/microphonic tubes - so almost all units were returned.  I bought mine from ebay seller 'soundbug1' who purchased the dozens or hundreds Panor/Dyanco was storing in their warehouse for several years.  The tubes (now) are 2 x 6N1P (new Svetlana's), 2 x 6N1P cryo'ed (old) Svetlana's, and 2 x 12AX7WB Sovteks.  Except for a selector switch oxidation I had a couple times (cured with Caig De-Oxit each time), the unit has been flawless.  It was Caig'ed a few months ago and all the jacks have just now been Caig oxidized and layer of Pro-Gold added for good measure. 

There is some plast-i-clay added throughout, and some damping on the (hi-quality) WIMA caps - I didn't think these tweeks did a thing for sound quality.  You can always remove it - the Mortite 'hats' on the tube tops are removable if you like, but I think every small tube improves with.  The PAS-4 does respond to a good conditioner (Monster Cable and BrickWall worked great here)..I think Panor cut corners and didn't add a good RF filter inside. 

I only have just purchased a Quicksilver Full Function Preamp that nips it in sound quality...and offers the flexibility of 6 outlets on back to plug my components into (saving me the clutter of one conditioner of the three I use now  :roll:).  If you are new to tubes, new to vinyl or just looking to hear a good preamp for not much money - I can heartily recommend this one.

Original box, packing materials and Owner's Manual (with good schematics) are included. 

Any questions - fire away.

John / TCG

« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2007, 02:36 am by TheChairGuy »

TheChairGuy

Silly me, I really did forget one important engineering point that this tube pre-amp has over many in any price range....each individual tube is buffered/regulated.  In a sense, it acts like 6 mini power supplies - one for each tube.  The effect is taut, not somewhat typical tubby, tube bass.  It really has great extension on both directions.  For me, it was a perfect step off from solid state...and now that older and less wise  :wink:, I like my music completely colored with an even more tubey sound of my Quicksilver.  Here's a great start for what might be a lifelong addiction - particularly if your gonna' continue listening to CD - tubes help you deal with it  :wink:

Reviews here: http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/dynaco/preamplifiers/PRD_118264_1591crx.aspx

Mine is the 2nd of 19 reviews, btw.
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2007, 05:00 am by TheChairGuy »

Scott F.

Hey John,

Thats going to be one heck of a good deal for somebody.  :thumb:  It's a great, inexpensive way into tubes  :green:

TheChairGuy

It is, it really is, Scott.  It dusted off all-comers here for 5 years - I had assumed until my purchase of the Quicksilver that it would stay with me for a few more still.  I have been on the fence about selling it for 3 months now out of sentimentality  :)  I even like its simple, yet clean, appearance (the only more handsome unit I thought I owned was the Hafler 915...but that is my purely subjective opinion). By the way, if weight = some measure of quality, it weighs about 12 lbs (about 15, boxed) and it is a basic steel case...so no elaborate casework is much part of that 12 lbs. It is mostly guts, not flash  :)

For someone stepping from SS for the first time, for someone needing the flexible functions and outputs this has, for someone that does not have a lot of scratch ($$) to play with, for someone wanting to upgrade a cheap phono stage (phono stage is very good and very quiet) or coming back to or entering vinyl-dom for the first time....for all these folks, it is a fine pre-amp to be enjoyed for some time into the future.

It is standard 17" rack width and about 2 rack spaces tall.

rotcoddam

This really is a fine unit. I owned one until I built a Foreplay. Then I sold it and wish I didn't. :duh: It's easy to mod, but actually doesn't need much modding. The Foreplay didn't really beat it out by much. I just needed money at the time so I sold it. Whoever gets this scores on a great preamp. Marty

TheChairGuy

SOLD!!