Should Vandersteen speakers have their aging Capacitors replaced?

mgsboedmisodpc2

I have recently read on another thread

"Age is a factor for electrolytic caps."

"Industry standard life is 15 years."

"Even if capacitance is still within spec, ESR is probably quite a bit higher than when new."

"Replacing 20 year old mylars with modern polyprolylene can be a revelation."

So should owners of Vandersteen MODEL 1 and 2 and 3 speakers send their speakers back to VANDERSTEEN not for an upgrade but just in to replace old Capacitors?
Of course if your model of speaker can be upgraded why not go for it.

Clarity, Theta, DynamiCap, ASC, Jantzen, MIT, Mills, Ohmite

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I'd say yes, but why not contact the factory?

timind

• permanent vacation
I'd say yes also. Although it would be a lot more cost effective to do it yourself.

mgsboedmisodpc2

timind I  contacted someone on ebay offering a service for a fee to upgrade vandy crossovers and without communicating the how to remove the vandersteeen crossover and after suggesting a youtube video be made showing how to remove the xover,the response was they did not know how which worried me because there is limited space and upgraded Caps may be too large...

dB Cooper

Don't pay for anybody to learn on your speakers. Firstly, I wouldn't do anything without contacting the mfr as already suggested. Secondly, it's not just the capacitance, it's the ESR, so I'd talk to Vandy before installing any magic caps and make sure the ones you select will be simpatico (Thoughts on this, anyone?). Thirdly, if you can get your hands on a capacitance meter, or order matched pairs channel-to-channel, that will pay off in imaging.

I'm not familiar with the specific models mentioned but if you can disconnect & reconnect everything yourself, it may be possible to send just the crossovers to Vandy for any work, certainly a lot easier than shipping entire speakers. Not if they're 'hot-glued' in though, as some are.

Pstores

I would call Vadersteen. I am sure Richard Vandersteen himself would offer some sound advice.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
I would call Vadersteen. I am sure Richard Vandersteen himself would offer some sound advice.

BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!

mgsboedmisodpc2

According to the Vanderseen QA section the question of aging crossover components has been posed before.
So 40 years is the live span of Vandy crossover

"John (8/26/13): I am considering the purchase of a pair of used Vandersteen 3 speakers (original model 3, not 3a or Sig). The sale is local, so I can hear them, and the cosmetic condition is described as excellent. The seller says that he checked with Richard Vandersteen and that based on the serial numbers the speakers were built in 1995. My question is, are there parts in these speakers that degrade over time (such as woofer surrounds or capacitors)? I know the speakers are upgradable, and maybe that's an option when Better Days arrive, but for now, I'd have to take them as they are. So, as for buying

Answer: HELLO JOHN, EVERYTHING IS DESIGNED TO GO 40 YEARS OR SO. LISTEN TO THEM. IF YOU LIKE THEM, BUY THEM OR WAIT FOR A PAIR OF 3A TO SHOW UP.
"

dB Cooper

So there you have it

mgsboedmisodpc2

Well some Vandersteen Models have approached and even passed the ripe old age of 40 years already!!

Vandersteen
Model 2ci 1989 29 years
Model 2C  1982 36 years
Model 2   1977 41 years

ctsooner

Yes, many have surpassed and the great thing is that they are still going strong, lol.  That's just simply amazing to me in this day and age.  Drivers give out more frequently thank caps I was told. Not sure if that's true or not, but makes sense.  If folks want a refresh, I'd work with the dealer locally if you have one.  That's honestly the first place I'd go.  Then I'd go to Vandy direct as has been stated by many.  If there are upgrades that can be made, they will let you know, but they do not sit and try Stealth Caps or any of the others in their older gear to see if they will make them sound better, lol.  Maybe you can get more out of them, but re ready to lose what you have if it doesn't work out.  Just a few things to think about I guess.  Let us know what you have decided to do.