What does everyone want in a DAC?

saisunil

Re: What does everyone want in a DAC?
« Reply #60 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:02 am »
Would love to have a replaceable board ... USB Technology changes too quickly - changing every year ... 

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #61 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:21 am »
The USB board is a daughter board and we'll sell it separately also.  It's XMOS based and is now something of a commodity (HRT, etc.)

whell

« Reply #62 on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:51 am »
Linux compatibility please. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #63 on: 4 Jan 2012, 05:51 pm »
Guys,

If we finish strong it will have most of what everyone wants.

Battery powerable.
USB 192 compatible, driverless on MAC.
Transformers, yes.
Digital stays digital (volume control exists but doesn't matter).
Analog stays analog.
2 x TOSLINK.
1 (or 2) x COAX.
Remote control.
Great headphone with hi/low outputs.
Small form factor.
No tubes.

We're looking at a best-case scenario of 3-4 months.  The PROS have been working on this (no pennies spared).

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Seth
is there gonna be a "budget werson" w/o:
-wolume control
-headfone amp
-remote control
this would be nice.  ya know - for those only wanting a dac?   :green:

oh, and most important, will it sound better than my modded art d/io dac?  i haven't heard of anything even remotely reasonably priced (and a lot not reasonably priced) that can do this...   :wink:

doug s.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #64 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:16 pm »
We're working on an "almost as good sounding" version for DIY and possibly an enclosure.  The DIY board could be in the $400 range; we'll see.  As you may expect from us, the product uses some VERY expensive parts.  This is not just a fancy wrapper around a $2 DAC chip. 

dboulet

« Reply #65 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:35 pm »
Would I be able to stick this DIY board into my Sensation?  :icon_twisted:

Rclark

« Reply #66 on: 4 Jan 2012, 07:41 pm »
Well then done. It's coming for sure so I don't even need to look at other dacs. Except I think I'm probably gonna want the full enchilada version. It will be the last large purchase for this system and the icing on the cake.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #67 on: 4 Jan 2012, 08:30 pm »
We're working on an "almost as good sounding" version for DIY and possibly an enclosure.  The DIY board could be in the $400 range; we'll see.  As you may expect from us, the product uses some VERY expensive parts.  This is not just a fancy wrapper around a $2 DAC chip.
"almost as good sounding"?   :(  how about "as good sounding, but w/o the frills"?   :wink:

best,

doug s.

Trismos

« Reply #68 on: 4 Jan 2012, 08:34 pm »
Would I be able to stick this DIY board into my Sensation?  :icon_twisted:

Now THAT is interesting!!

persisting1

« Reply #69 on: 4 Jan 2012, 09:25 pm »
Well then done. It's coming for sure so I don't even need to look at other dacs. Except I think I'm probably gonna want the full enchilada version. It will be the last large purchase for this system and the icing on the cake.

I think we've all said this at one point.  I really hope you're stronger than the rest of us Rclark.  I don't think there ever will be a "last piece" in my life  :duh:

dboulet

« Reply #70 on: 4 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm »
Now THAT is interesting!!

I know, right? The ultimate would be to have a DIY kit that includes a new back panel that accommodates the new digital inputs. Just dreaming here.

Trismos

« Reply #71 on: 4 Jan 2012, 10:20 pm »
I know, right? The ultimate would be to have a DIY kit that includes a new back panel that accommodates the new digital inputs. Just dreaming here.

Something that might slide into place as a module where the current lid goes would be pretty sick. With the Dodd buffer and the big Clarity MRs in there, I don't have much room left anymore.

jb26

« Reply #72 on: 5 Jan 2012, 12:04 am »
Inside my sensation would be sweet.  A Melissa look alike would be sweet, though I don't need a DAC/pre.

When the one.2 shaped one comes out I'll be thinking hard about getting it. He aesthetics next to the sensation, though is a consideration. He sensations 4' high and one.2 5' high (website specs).  If they were he same height I'd be happy.

Rclark

« Reply #73 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:56 am »
I think we've all said this at one point.  I really hope you're stronger than the rest of us Rclark.  I don't think there ever will be a "last piece" in my life  :duh:

Yeah, you're right, I forgot I'll need a HiRez rig to go with my dac :duh: It never ends

OzarkTom

« Reply #74 on: 8 Jan 2012, 01:48 pm »
The USB board is a daughter board and we'll sell it separately also.  It's XMOS based and is now something of a commodity (HRT, etc.)

The Eximus DP1(XMOS) that is here, is standing up to the $7700 Weiss Dac with no problems.  My froend in fact, is selling his Weiss Dac 202 because of it. XMOS based is a killer.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #75 on: 8 Jan 2012, 11:32 pm »
If a DIY'er were to get all the boards (there are a bunch), you'll have a "just as good" solution, cheaper because you'll need to assemble it.   

Without all of them, you give up DSP which will affect SQ slightly.  I'll try to iron things out and regardless, nobody should lose sleep over it.  If you buy the "basic" board (USB/COAX/12v in, analog out) and want to juice it later, you can buy the rest of them and get it all...

Crossing fingers.

antonio

« Reply #76 on: 9 Jan 2012, 07:51 am »
hi,
when diy basic configuration (12v+usb+board) will be sell?
it will be sold before definitive enclosured virtue dac?
thanks
antonio

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #77 on: 9 Jan 2012, 08:49 am »
how about 4 ch DAC on firewire or USB?

its time for digital XO

cheers
henry

Xcalibur

« Reply #78 on: 14 Feb 2012, 07:20 am »

Battery powerable.
USB 192 compatible, driverless on MAC.
Transformers, yes.
Digital stays digital (volume control exists but doesn't matter).
Analog stays analog.
2 x TOSLINK.
1 (or 2) x COAX.
Remote control.
Great headphone with hi/low outputs.
Small form factor.
No tubes.

Seth, can you comment a bit more on the transformers?  I'm trying to understand why they are so desirable on the analog output stage.  Just like with caps a transformer can only do damage to the signal, increasingly less so the more expensive the transformer admittedly.  Is the impedance matching so beneficial that it outweighs whatever smearing and time domain issues the transformer is introducing to the audio signal?

As for my 02 cents, it all looks good to me except I can't see many people really using the headphone option in a DAC.  That seems like something that belongs with the amplifier in a person's system.  When you put it all together in a Melissa enclosure with a Sensation II amp section to make the best bang for the buck integrated on earth I'll be in line to buy one.

Rclark

« Reply #79 on: 14 Feb 2012, 07:41 am »
Seth have you seen that some new dacs are hitting 844k sampling rate? I hope you get to borrow one of those as you develop.

...so can't wait to see the Virtue dac.