Dynaco ST-70 (with Audio Research mod)

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
Dynaco ST-70 (with Audio Research mod)
« on: 31 Aug 2022, 07:20 pm »
Anybody near Chapel Hill have one of these? I am preparing to do a complete refurb of mine, i.e. a new ss chassis, caps, jacks etc. and if I could borrow one during the refurb to use as an example, it would make the job go a lot smoother and quicker. Happy to make some sort of a compensatory deal in return for the temporary loss of yours.

tnweaver

Re: Dynaco ST-70 (with Audio Research mod)
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2022, 01:59 am »
Sent you a PM. Have nice one for sale.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2023, 07:49 pm »
My Dynaco ST-70 (with C3 Audio Research mod) is all apart and the transformers are being repainted. After the transformers are mounted to the new SS chassis, the new HV chassis caps (from Hayseed Hamfest) get installed and then all the circuit board coupling and bypass caps get replaced with new (physically much smaller) polypropylenes which should avoid much of the cooking that the original orange drop film types were subject to. It'll be a big job but hopefully worth the effort.

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2023, 03:02 am »
Good luck with your project, it sounds like a labor of love. Are you doing the work yourself or have you found someone to help?

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2023, 01:34 pm »
Doing it all myself. I have the time, and experience with this sort of thing, but always looking to improve my methods. Thanks for the encouragement!

quailpark

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2023, 10:17 pm »
This was my first amp and I loved it!!! The Audio Research mod made a huge difference and I highly recommend doing it if you already haven't.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2023, 11:19 pm »
Hey Quailpark,
                     thanks for your input! I bought this and another one (both C3 version) ~1990, & used them as strapped monoblocks for a few years, but was never really wowed by them at that time (I had many other amps before and after the Dynas that did wow me, FWIW), however I never really made the effort to match them to the right speakers, so I will keep an open mind. Sold one of them years ago and now finally have time to completely rebuild the one I kept. I'm waiting for the pollen season to abate so I can finish repainting both the power and the remaining output transformer. The power tranformer had been externally "potted" and was a bear to clean up! I will lose the 16 ohm speaker output (but keep the feedback connection) and will check all the resistors as I replace all the board caps with better ones. It's a slow process, but it's one that will, I hope have results that are exceptionally good sounding with my DIY Lii F15 OB speakers.