The great AudioKinesis Introductory/Voter Appreciation sale

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
When my circle-seeking poll was running a few weeks ago, member woodsyi made this suggestion:

"Maybe Duke will even have an "introductory" sale if he gets a circle here?"

That sounded good to me then, and it sounds good to me now.

So, I'm offering 10% off on the Jazz Modules, Dream Makers, or Swarm (info on the Swarm coming soon).  We can haggle over shipping, but probably end up splitting it down the middle if you're not too far away, and not quite down the middle if you are too far away.

The sale will go from now until the end of June.  A deposit will hold a pair of speakers for you at the sale price - I haven't decided how much deposit I'd need; we'll work that out between us.

So any of you who benefit from this, you owe woodsyi a beer.

Cheers,

Duke

Berndt

Re: The great AudioKinesis Introductory/Voter Appreciation sale
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2008, 11:55 pm »
I owe woodsyi more than a beer, FWIW. :duh:
Just one of the good people that I have met on AC.
He has been an inspiration for me. (thanks Rim for everything!)
Cheers to woodsyi and AC!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2008, 01:40 am »
All the best, Duke.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2008, 02:06 pm »
Way to to Duke.  I guess I have to follow through now.  Don't I? :wink:

I think a Swarm will go nicely with a pair of Soundlab A5's -- slightly smaller custom version of A1.  It's a hand me down pair but panels have been checked and toroidal transformers were added recently.  My mother's listening room is about 16' x 22' x 8' with tile floor, wood panel and ceiling tiles.  There are no acoustic room treatments.  It's a live room.  I am using Marchand XM9 to bring in a pair of SVS cylindrical subs at 70 Hz right now but I think it can be better.  The system is primarily used for orchestral and Operatic music.  I think a wallnut or dark oak finish will match the best.  Let me know what I need to send you.

Wishing you the best.  :thumb:

P.S.  Thanks Bill for the kind words.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2008, 04:14 am »
Hi woodsyi,

Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence! 

My impression is that your SVS subs will probably go lower and play louder than the Swarm, but I think the Swarm might integrate with your panels a bit better.  Also, the Swarm has a gently downward-sloping response below 100 Hz, approximately the inverse of the 3 dB per octave or so of typical room gain.  I wanted to avoid an overly heavy bottom end, as that comes across as sluggishness which is not what you want when trying to blend with electrostats.   The Swarm goes down to 24 Hz ballpark.

It would be interesting to see how the Swarm stacks up against a pair of SVS subs.  If you're game to try it, I'll cover all shipping costs.

I'll be on the road for the next couple of days, but before I go I'll shoot you a message with a couple of questions.

Duke

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2008, 05:03 am »
...Also, the Swarm has a gently downward-sloping response below 100 Hz, approximately the inverse of the 3 dB per octave or so of typical room gain.  I wanted to avoid an overly heavy bottom end, as that comes across as sluggishness which is not what you want when trying to blend with electrostats...

Pro recording engineers call the range around 100Hz the "mudrange". 

For about 20+ years I employed speakers with varying amounts of bass, but all had generally a lot of bass & real cutoff down the high-30s or lower.  Also the rooms had various bass modal problems, the last room being not so great even after several thousand dollars of treatment.

My latest room is the best I've had, pretty large; moved in 15 mos ago.  The floor & one wall are no-flex slab.  The speaker for about 8-9 mos has been a 2-way & only one 7" Dynaudio midbass, a far cry from the mega-size speakers had in the past, w/ multiple large bass drivers.

This current system is of course almost completely lacking the first octave, which will be fixed one of these days w/ a very special powered custom sub system.  But beyond that, overall & in the range covered above the low-40s, the bass is pristine, pure & so lacking in the mud previously experience that I would never trade it for the bloated overblown sluggish midbass of the past.  I previously would have thought to never desire to give up the larger & more powerful bass but now I would never go back.

I like the idea of Duke's sub's being distributed around the room to smooth output & avoid the muddy presentation often associated w/ subs.  They sounded great heard in Duke's room last year.