« Reply #60 on: 18 Oct 2012, 02:44 am »
If this was the land of Chris only 17" black would exist

Chris

myview

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #61 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:08 pm »
Hi Chris,

If the BDP-2 has 8 times the memory of BDP-1, does it mean:

1) When I attach a new say 1-TB hard-disk (va USB) with a lot of music on there, the "updating" process will be much faster than the BDP-1?

2) I downloaded some files (in FLAC and APE) and the BDP-1 could not play them properly...the music is truncated (on Mpad, the time counter jumps from 0 sec, to something like 7 sec, then 20 sec.).  I read somewhere (cannot remember where) that this could be because the music was ripped (although in FLAC or APE) at a compression rate higher than usual.  Do you think the BDP-2 will be able to play them?

Thank you

myview

More correctly the bdp 2 has eight times the memory of the 1 and the buffer is still the same size.  The additional memory will allow the bdp to do more like play back audio cd's with jitter rates as low as digital files.

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #62 on: 18 Oct 2012, 02:52 pm »
Hello myview,

The more memory should allow for larger libraries and allow us to do things like buffer entire audio cd's (ie our cd demo at tave).

Chris

Marius

« Reply #63 on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:06 pm »
HI Chris,

'should' as in 'we haven't tested that yet'?
and , could you be more precise about what a 'larger library' is? bigger than 500 gig? To be honest, I haven't found the bdp1 to have issues with my rather extensive library, more than several TB's, i am kind of curious what you mean exactly when you say the BDP1 does not allow for larger libraries...

Marius

The more memory should allow for larger libraries and allow us to do things like buffer entire audio cd's (ie our cd demo at tave).

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #64 on: 19 Oct 2012, 03:35 pm »
More importantly simply can't test, the largest library we have access to is 80k songs and the only thing we know for sure is that the BDP-2 is able to access it more quickly.  Beyond that we are simply estimating based on memory usage, you have commented in the past about how the BDP-1 is almost always using 98%+ of its memory.  Between the small amount of memory and its ultra low power, low performance cpu an AMD Geode (it is still a very impressive CPU) it really begins to slow down over 30k of songs.  Where as the BDP-2 with its 2GB of ram and intel Atom CPU handles the 80k library with ease and without much impact at all.

Chris

Marius

« Reply #65 on: 19 Oct 2012, 04:40 pm »
Hi Chris,

I see, with 80k, you mean 80000 songs don't you? Would you think that number of songs is as important as size of songs total. I ask, because next to listening to 'songs' I have an extensive collection of classical music, where the number of songs might be less space consuming than the size of them, especially the hires versions...

Indeed mem usage is mostly up to 98%, even when only playing songs. Issues (distortion/hickups) I had/still have, appear only when playing, and updating or having the bdp1 do other administrative tasks at the same time. Would you expect that to be history in with the BDP2? I'd be glad to test it for you to be sure of course.

When accommodating the NAS's on top of that, this 80k size will be easily met. Since for example movies are on those NAS's, and the BDP plays those files without problem, this treshold of 80k will most surely be surpassed very easily.  Great to have a BDP2 that won't have issues with that. Would be even nicer to test that before buying....

Marius

More importantly simply can't test, the largest library we have access to is 80k songs and the only thing we know for sure is that the BDP-2 is able to access it more quickly.  Beyond that we are simply estimating based on memory usage, you have commented in the past about how the BDP-1 is almost always using 98%+ of its memory.  Between the small amount of memory and its ultra low power, low performance cpu an AMD Geode (it is still a very impressive CPU) it really begins to slow down over 30k of songs.  Where as the BDP-2 with its 2GB of ram and intel Atom CPU handles the 80k library with ease and without much impact at all.

Chris
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2012, 06:01 pm by Marius »

Tympani

« Reply #66 on: 20 Oct 2012, 05:45 pm »
Hi Everybody!. Brand new to this wonderful forum. I've just placed an order for a BDP-1 and BDA-2. I plan to use these in the "Purist" way, with an external (3 TB) Hard Drive, without network linking to my PC. I want to avoid any potential noise issues with ethernet. Given this, is there any other substantial reason to switch my order to a BDP-2? By that I mean improvements in functionality that would make day-to-day operations more effecient. Such as significant increase in speed of loading libraries each time I power up? Better upgrade paths? And is there some way to shut down the streaming function/circuitry if not in use?

Apologize for the simplistic questions. Audiofile first, technofile very distant second.

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #67 on: 20 Oct 2012, 06:38 pm »
Hi Tympani,

Have considered changing my initial order for a BDP-1 to a BDP-2, but, like you, liked the original idea of attaching HDD without the need for setting up things and streaming stuff all over the home network. So far I am completely happy with my choice. I tend to play albums, or complete opera's, so I do not switch a lot. Use the 4 button navigation for that, but will see if I will upgrade to a dedicated router. Can attach 2 x 1 Tb drives which hold more music than I possibly can listen to in many years. Have no need for more storage.

Do not even use the radio feature, as the squeezbox does this quite well (connected to the BDA) and adds the diversity of Spotify.
The sound of the BDP is glorious, so I could not be happier.

Just one question: why did you go for the BDA-2?

Cheers,
Bob

Tympani

« Reply #68 on: 20 Oct 2012, 10:40 pm »
Hi Bob,

I went for the BDA-2 for the possibility of DSD down the road. For only $200 more it seemed worth-while.
Curious how quickly you load up from a standing start with your HDD/libraries?
Any thoughts on my concerns re: ethernet-borne noise?

Dan

Marius

« Reply #69 on: 21 Oct 2012, 02:42 pm »
Hi Chris, James,

You mentioned future usb3 support, but why don't you offer that from the first bdp2 onward? Seems to be the standard for over some time now, in fact you'd have a hard time to find USB hdd s without it, so why not take advantage of that from the beginning?

Thanks,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #70 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:16 pm »
Hi Chris, James,

You mentioned future usb3 support, but why don't you offer that from the first bdp2 onward? Seems to be the standard for over some time now, in fact you'd have a hard time to find USB hdd s without it, so why not take advantage of that from the beginning?

Thanks,
Marius

HI Marius

The BDP-1 uses USB to bring data from an external drive to the internal memory for reformatting and passing on to the DAC. USB 1 Full Speed does not quite have the throughput (12 MBps) to handle high resolution files. USB 2 High Speed has a throughput of 480 Mbps which is more than ten times what is necessary to handle high resolution files. USB3 can pass even more data (3 Gbps) but brings requirements and system overhead that will not improve the sound and will increase the power requirements. USB3 extends from a PCI express interface which is not present or supported with the processor we use. Changing over to a system board that would support USB3 brings heat problems, requirements for a much larger power supply and a number of other aspects which will change the product completely but not improve the audio chain and can potentially degrade it.

Drives have SATA interfaces. External drives use internal hardware to convert them to USB, Firewire or eSATA. While it may make a difference loading data onto the drive, for playback the throughput requirements are much lower so the interface won’t change the playback properties.

James

Marius

« Reply #71 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:22 pm »
Hi James,

Understanding USB3 is not necessary for playback, it might come in very handy for filehandling/copying, which is the sole reason I ask. Files tend to get bigger and bigger, and the larger the throughput, the more comfortable it is. Of course up to the limit of degrading playback quality.

reading your remarks about USB3, do I deduce correctly you won't offer it in the future?

Marius

HI Marius

The BDP-1 uses USB to bring data from an external drive to the internal memory for reformatting and passing on to the DAC. USB 1 Full Speed does not quite have the throughput (12 MBps) to handle high resolution files. USB 2 High Speed has a throughput of 480 Mbps which is more than ten times what is necessary to handle high resolution files. USB3 can pass even more data (3 Gbps) but brings requirements and system overhead that will not improve the sound and will increase the power requirements. USB3 extends from a PCI express interface which is not present or supported with the processor we use. Changing over to a system board that would support USB3 brings heat problems, requirements for a much larger power supply and a number of other aspects which will change the product completely but not improve the audio chain and can potentially degrade it.

Drives have SATA interfaces. External drives use internal hardware to convert them to USB, Firewire or eSATA. While it may make a difference loading data onto the drive, for playback the throughput requirements are much lower so the interface won’t change the playback properties.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 21 Oct 2012, 04:25 pm »
Hi James,

Understanding USB3 is not necessary for playback, it might come in very handy for filehandling/copying, which is the sole reason I ask. Files tend to get bigger and bigger, and the larger the throughput, the more comfortable it is. Of course up to the limit of degrading playback quality.

reading your remarks about USB3, do I deduce correctly you won't offer it in the future?

Marius

Hi Marius

We have left room on the rear panel of the BDP-2 to allow for future additions and USB 3 is one we could offer. I am also thinking USB out might be worth considering?

James

Marius

« Reply #73 on: 21 Oct 2012, 06:07 pm »
great, but would that option resolve all mentioned usb3 issues?
in an all bryston setup, what would be the use for a USB out?

Marius

Hi Marius

We have left room on the rear panel of the BDP-2 to allow for future additions and USB 3 is one we could offer. I am also thinking USB out might be worth considering?

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 21 Oct 2012, 06:14 pm »
great, but would that option resolve all mentioned usb3 issues?
in an all bryston setup, what would be the use for a USB out?

Marius

Well the USB 3 is only for faster load times but other than that no advantage. The USB out would only be to allow asynchronous USB out into our new BDA-2 DAC. Some feel that USB asynchronous has some advantages - I still prefer the AES out myself.

James

srb

« Reply #75 on: 21 Oct 2012, 06:20 pm »
The USB out would only be to allow asynchronous USB out into our new BDA-2 DAC.

And to allow USB out to non-Bryston USB DACs.  In a (Bryston) perfect world, all components would be Bryston (!), but there are a number of good USB-only DACs out there that people may already own.

Steve

Marius

« Reply #76 on: 21 Oct 2012, 06:25 pm »
Well the USB 3 is only for faster load times but other than that no advantage. The USB out would only be to allow asynchronous USB out into our new BDA-2 DAC. Some feel that USB asynchronous has some advantages - I still prefer the AES out myself.

James

If you'd be able to tackle all mentioned usb3 issues,

("USB3 can pass even more data (3 Gbps) but brings requirements and system overhead that will not improve the sound and will increase the power requirements. USB3 extends from a PCI express interface which is not present or supported with the processor we use. Changing over to a system board that would support USB3 brings heat problems, requirements for a much larger power supply and a number of other aspects which will change the product completely but not improve the audio chain and can potentially degrade it." )

I'd opt for both then !
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2012, 07:56 pm by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #77 on: 21 Oct 2012, 07:48 pm »
Hi James,

When using this USB out on the Bdp2, would the only USB in on the Bda be used for that? If so, we would need a second USB in on the Bda to accomodate other USB sources.... That possible?
A front USB input, like on the BDP would be even better: plug the MAcbook in, play, and no hassle fiddling at the back of the BDA. Or could the BDP2 be used for that... now that would be something wonderful. Plug the Macbook/laptop in the bdp2 front usb port, and let it be seen by the BDA2 as a source, operated on the Macbook/laptop.

A bit like the 'on the fly' i asked Chris about earlier. No updating, no waiting, just plug and play.

Cheers!
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 21 Oct 2012, 09:01 pm »
Hi James,

When using this USB out on the Bdp2, would the only USB in on the Bda be used for that? If so, we would need a second USB in on the Bda to accomodate other USB sources.... That possible?
A front USB input, like on the BDP would be even better: plug the MAcbook in, play, and no hassle fiddling at the back of the BDA. Or could the BDP2 be used for that... now that would be something wonderful. Plug the Macbook/laptop in the bdp2 front usb port, and let it be seen by the BDA2 as a source, operated on the Macbook/laptop.

A bit like the 'on the fly' i asked Chris about earlier. No updating, no waiting, just plug and play.

Cheers!
Marius

No sorry - there is only room for 1 USB input on the BDA-2.

I would recommend AES from the BDP and your laptop to the BDA-2 using USB.

James

Marius

« Reply #79 on: 21 Oct 2012, 09:17 pm »
ok thanks, the way we're playing right now, no changes there then.

please consider the other option, 'on the fly', would be a real useful extra, with all sorts of sources, being your new disc-spinner, usb hdd's or laptop.

Greets,
Marius

No sorry - there is only room for 1 USB input on the BDA-2.

I would recommend AES from the BDP and your laptop to the BDA-2 using USB.

James