Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #320 on: 27 Feb 2014, 02:24 am »
Hi Marius,

I had realized a mistake I could have easily made that might explain your cover art issue, I just havn't had a chance to confirm it yet.  I believe the firmware when it doesn't find appropriate covert art it taking the generic file and using it to create the picture file it uses.  The folder containing the music files should each contain a picture file with either BDP or Bryston in its name, the exact file name eludes me at the moment.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #321 on: 27 Feb 2014, 11:25 am »
HI Chris,

cant seem to download version 0225 correctly. Any issues? it does start, but immediately says DONE, and only 768 bytes (of 768...) are downloaded

and, again, all thumb drives are invisible, only the 2 usb Harddrives and the internal flashcard are available for downloading.

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #322 on: 27 Feb 2014, 11:27 am »
Please define 'appropriate cover art'?

any size/resolution demands/constraints? I have a cover.jpg in most folders, some are larger than others alright, but many of them are not displayed.

edit: Chris, does the firmware read the images embedded in the mp3 files, or does it still need a cover.jpg in these folders.. (hope not...)

Marius

Hi Marius,

I had realized a mistake I could have easily made that might explain your cover art issue, I just havn't had a chance to confirm it yet.  I believe the firmware when it doesn't find appropriate covert art it taking the generic file and using it to create the picture file it uses.  The folder containing the music files should each contain a picture file with either BDP or Bryston in its name, the exact file name eludes me at the moment.

Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2014, 02:54 pm by Marius »

Blueshirt1

« Reply #323 on: 27 Feb 2014, 12:22 pm »
Morning Chris,

My turn  :D

Firmware looks like it was successful. But for the life of me I cant get my music in the library.

I can see my NAS, I add it. But hours later after hitting update and all that jazz, still no music in my library. It asked me to make a scratch drive (my NAS was already one and I did not delete the file) but my only choice in "Disk Info" is the internal CF card which I cant make a scratch drive. I even plugged in a USB drive and then it gave me the option of making that the scratch drive. I did it, but nothing is any different.

For the NAS I can see MyBookLive and MyBookLive.local   which should I use?

Any Ideas?

Thanks

update: Looks like the local was the right choice since after I chose that and came back later the library started to fill up. Still cant use album view as it still asks for a scratch drive.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2014, 01:40 pm by Blueshirt1 »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #324 on: 27 Feb 2014, 01:47 pm »
Morning Chris,

Firmware looks like it was successful. But for the life of me I cant get my music in the library.

I can see my NAS, I add it. But hours later after hitting update and all that jazz, still no music in my library. It asked me to make a scratch drive (my NAS was already one and I did not delete the file) but my only choice in "Disk Info" is the internal CF card which I cant make a scratch drive. I even plugged in a USB drive and then it gave me the option of making that the scratch drive. I did it, but nothing is any different.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

update: Looks like the local was the right choice since after I chose that and came back later the library started to fill up. Still cant use album view as it still asks for a scratch drive.

Hi

The Scratch drive must be formatted FAT32 currently but I think Chris is changing that to allow NTSF as well.

james

« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2014, 08:16 pm by James Tanner »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #325 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:28 pm »
HI Chris,

cant seem to download version 0225 correctly. Any issues? it does start, but immediately says DONE, and only 768 bytes (of 768...) are downloaded

and, again, all thumb drives are invisible, only the 2 usb Harddrives and the internal flashcard are available for downloading.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

I believe i forgotten to name a folder correctly, it should be working now.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #326 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:38 pm »
Please define 'appropriate cover art'?

any size/resolution demands/constraints? I have a cover.jpg in most folders, some are larger than others alright, but many of them are not displayed.

edit: Chris, does the firmware read the images embedded in the mp3 files, or does it still need a cover.jpg in these folders.. (hope not...)

Marius

Hi Marius,

The album view doesn't go after embedded cover art, we may add it; but if we do picture files will take priority over embedded.  Appropriate is currently defined as any jpeg or png with the extension .jpg, .jpeg or .png and the file name folder, cover or front.  When manic moose is finished these filenames will be the default value and customize-able by the end user.  Also the filename arn't case sensitive so CoVer.png would be treated as cover.png.  File size or resolution shouldn't matter; however that's not to say the an error or some other obscure version of jpeg or png isn't compatible with imagemagick.  Imagemagick is the current software package used to create copies and to resize the copies for the media player web interface.  Also I have confirmed that media player simply links to the generic bryston logo file if a picture file can't be found.  The final release of the firmware will allow users to choose cover art using the media player interface so hopefully getting cover art right will be less of a chore in the end.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #327 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:40 pm »
Morning Chris,

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

A NAS can't act as the scratch drive, you must choose a local drive formatted as Fat32; however i'm considering lifting this criteria due to how the new firmware accesses the scratch drive.

Cheers,
Chris

lwschwartz

« Reply #328 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:53 pm »
Hi Chris,

I thought I would try upgrading the firmware to Manic Moose since I am having so much trouble with looney tunes.  My BDP-2 is nearly non functional.  It loses the library, most of the music is not accessible, and has been frustrating.  It has been this way since I bought it a few months ago.  I have continued to use my McIntosh MS750 waiting on your new firmware to see if it will work better.  My BDP-2 won't upgrade over the internet.  I have tried 10 times today alone.  It keeps getting part way there, crashing, rebooting and getting new ip addresses from the router.  I gave up on static ip addresses weeks ago when it wouldn't stay set.  Now it just acquires a new pair of addresses each time it reboots.  It is up to .64 and .65 as I write this.  I have tried connecting only one ethernet port and connecting both ethernet ports and neither way helps. I have attached a jpg of the screen.

When the update process hangs, it puts up a window requiring BDP authorization.  Then, no matter what I put in there, it tells me I am not authorized.

The only thing I have done to the unit since getting it is put an sad in it with some FLAC files since it wouldn't stream any from any of my NAS servers.  Please help before I give up and go back to SONOS.  It is now in service mode and gives a number 14.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #329 on: 28 Feb 2014, 01:59 am »
Hi Chris,

I thought I would try upgrading the firmware to Manic Moose since I am having so much trouble with looney tunes.  My BDP-2 is nearly non functional.  It loses the library, most of the music is not accessible, and has been frustrating.  It has been this way since I bought it a few months ago.  I have continued to use my McIntosh MS750 waiting on your new firmware to see if it will work better.  My BDP-2 won't upgrade over the internet.  I have tried 10 times today alone.  It keeps getting part way there, crashing, rebooting and getting new ip addresses from the router.  I gave up on static ip addresses weeks ago when it wouldn't stay set.  Now it just acquires a new pair of addresses each time it reboots.  It is up to .64 and .65 as I write this.  I have tried connecting only one ethernet port and connecting both ethernet ports and neither way helps. I have attached a jpg of the screen.

When the update process hangs, it puts up a window requiring BDP authorization.  Then, no matter what I put in there, it tells me I am not authorized.

The only thing I have done to the unit since getting it is put an sad in it with some FLAC files since it wouldn't stream any from any of my NAS servers.  Please help before I give up and go back to SONOS.  It is now in service mode and gives a number 14.

Hi,

I went to take a look for it, but it appears that either the service number has changed or it's been turned off or someway disconnected.

Cheers
Chris

Gaustabl

« Reply #330 on: 1 Mar 2014, 07:23 am »
Hello.
I am currenly using the latest build, and have an issue with albums and album art. It doesn't seem to find all albums on my drive, and not all album art on the albums it finds. If i use the browse function, i can browse to the albums it does not find, and if i play them, it displays album art, and everything is fine. I just dont get the albums to display under artist or album view.
Best regards
Lars

Marius

« Reply #331 on: 1 Mar 2014, 09:39 am »
latest build won't find any media at all anymore in default view......!

refeshed cache, rebooted bdp, did it all, no succes  ;-(( back to Bonobo and Black WeeN satan in Album view again.

Blueshirt1

« Reply #332 on: 1 Mar 2014, 11:53 am »
Same thing happened to me last night. All of a sudden it would not see my library after I spent the night before updating it. Unplugged, rebooted PC, BDP, NAS, etc... Its almost like it lost connection since even a reboot from the system tab did nothing but I was still able to talk to it in some cases.

End of the story, I deleted me NAS setup and added it again. Had to wait for the library to get rebuilt and it's working again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #333 on: 1 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm »
Hi Folks,

Here is mine at home - 2 systems one with NAS - worked fine. :scratch:

james

Marius

« Reply #334 on: 1 Mar 2014, 01:57 pm »
Hi James,

I see you have playlists. I've been asking for those ever since the beta program since mine are lost....
How did you make these in MM?
I take it the Genres item is the new feature Chris implemented ?
Cheers Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #335 on: 1 Mar 2014, 04:39 pm »
Hi James,

I see you have playlists. I've been asking for those ever since the beta program since mine are lost....
How did you make these in MM?
I take it the Genres item is the new feature Chris implemented ?
Cheers Marius

Hi Marius

The Tag is listed but Chris still has to implement the ability to create playlist - coming soon :thumb:

james

Marius

« Reply #336 on: 1 Mar 2014, 05:01 pm »
Hi James,

I've found it finally after unplugging the bdp. (Last firmware upgrade made it unresponsive )

Before, I just added the .mru files in a certain folder in the Bdp root, only forgot which one ..
Since I used them as presets for my internet radio stations, sure hope Chris will chime in soon and disclose where these .mru files need to be stored . Especially now bradio isn't working and might not be working soon again.

Cheers Marius

Hi Marius

The Tag is listed but Chris still has to implement the ability to create playlist - coming soon :thumb:

james

Marius

« Reply #337 on: 1 Mar 2014, 05:34 pm »
HI Chris,

About the media player/browser please let me ask this:

- will the "Add all song", by clicking the top folder listing, be implemented? Clicking it now doesn't do anything
- will you make this folder-tree screen estate adapt to the nesting of the  folder structure ? It is too small at this moment for deeper folders
- could you make these breadcrumbs clickable? now we have to click back until a desired folder is reached, clickable breadcrumbs would facilitate this so much faster
- related to the above, could you implement a Home button, bringing it back to the root?

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2014, 08:18 pm by Marius »

Gaustabl

« Reply #338 on: 1 Mar 2014, 08:48 pm »
Hello.
I have been trying the new interface during the weekend on my macbook, on ipads and on my htc one, implemented into irule remote. I think it looks very promising, and i personally like the album view best. Using it inside irule either on my htc, iphone or ipad is the most likely scenario for me since i then have an option to control volume within the same program/app.  When I use the artist view it shows albums together with songs, but i would rather have it as album view, narrowed down to the selected artist. Maybe it could be possible to toggle the two views?

This would make it more usable on handheld devices in my humble opinion.

Best regards
Lars

Marius

« Reply #339 on: 2 Mar 2014, 12:31 pm »
HI Chris,

Although latest build is making Shares and individual folders on these shares easier. possible, lots of issues arise....

to select network-folders as bdp browsable music libraries, i find the options and settings it requires very daunting, unnecessary technical,  and, to be honest, very uncomfortable. And frustratingly trial and error. Having to select Windows or Apple network in advance, subfolders are displaying or not. One has to select out of the very many displayed shares, all with the same name but different ip numbers... Selecting a subfolder works, ...or not, showing only the up and down arrow.

Why don't you just implement a browser, with which the user browses to and selects a folder to share (like in the Audio Circle when selecting an image to display in the posts...), apply login and password if required, and click Share. All other technical stuff could/should be left out preferably.

Please have a look?

cheers,
Marius