Linked Events

• T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach: 31 May 2013 - 2 Jun 2013

T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach

audioengr

Re: T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach
« Reply #100 on: 4 Jun 2013, 07:01 pm »
We got to see them.  They are stunning.  We heard them however Steve was doing his Emperical thing and we did not want to press him out of character.  The music Steve was playing for a customer was not for us.   Don't get me wrong if the room wasn't packed tight  like it was I'm sure we could have got a much better demo.  Our timing to get a demo was really bad.

If they are at the DaGoGo show in SF we'll get a listen there. 

Jon posted some pictures earlier in this thread.

It's rare when a customers music is either a good recording or to my liking either, but you play it for them.  Never the whole track though.  Tends to scare everyone away.

You can always come back 10 minutes later and hear anything you want.

Best sound we have had at any show IMO.  Beat the $30K TAD E1's I had last year.  Better bass.  Similar off-axis response to the TAD and no uni-Q driver needed.  Sounds identical standing, sitting or off to the side.  No speaker EQ required, only room correction using Amarra.  Flattest response I have seen with my Earthworks calibrated mic.  May have to get a pair...

The 805 monoblock amps were wonderful too.  Effortless and can get REALLY loud if you want.  After hours Ryan literally blew me out of the room with tattered clothes :o

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2013, 08:50 pm by audioengr »

Cheeseboy

« Reply #101 on: 4 Jun 2013, 08:49 pm »
Steve,

You were busy providing excellent customer service.  We came back it just took longer than you expected.  We should have come after hours.  The last thing I would ever do is disturb someone when the are that focused.   

You guys were really busy.  High class problem.

Warm regards,

Steve

audioengr

« Reply #102 on: 4 Jun 2013, 08:52 pm »
Steve,

You were busy providing excellent customer service.  We came back it just took longer than you expected.  We should have come after hours.  The last thing I would ever do is disturb someone when the are that focused.   

You guys were really busy.  High class problem.

Warm regards,

Steve

Like they say, its a good problem to have.  I just wish I could play 2 or 3 tracks that would make everyone happy.  Its like cars.  Everybody likes different ones...

Steve N.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #103 on: 4 Jun 2013, 09:19 pm »
Best Sound without an Atmosphere - This just might be the perfect system for the moon or a Dennys waiting area.

Congradulations Onda Ligera you win it!  The sound was so great from this speaker system from Latvia that it transcended the lack of audio trimmings.  Juris Perkens and his crew blew the doors of anything I was able to get a good demo and listen.  Bare chairs bare walls and barely speaking english this team of satelite country audiophiles hit the mark.  It was late on Sunday when I got the call from one of our group headed back to the Bay Area who was  stuck in traffic on I5.  Welcome to LA.  "Steve, you have got to go to listen to Onda Ligera."  All I heard was 4 th floor Russians.    I'm so happy I went.   Later when I was waiting for the shuttle to the airport I got to speak to the youngest member of the team.  He indicated that each speaker is hand made and hand tuned as it is built.  It takes 3 months to build a pair.  This just sounds like an email from Kenya.  Send us $22k and in 3 months you'll get your $150K worth of speakers.  Can someone find these guys a CNC machine for rent and get them to work right here at home?  The speakers sound so good I would consider financing the venture.  Sorrry Jon L Imma steal another couple of your pictures. 

Did anyone else get a listen and what did you think?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #104 on: 4 Jun 2013, 09:37 pm »
FULLRANGEMAN-  The GM70 based amps put out 60 watts each and are built by Jack Elliano of Electra-print audio.  Besides building his own designs, he's built transformers for many other amp companies for decades.  I will update this post with the input tubes later.

Great show & feedback for the amps & loudspeakers.  As always, it is a pleasure doing these shows and getting meet new people and visit with old friends.  Also, getting to hear new music that some people will actually bring along to listen to.

PS- Here's some other walk through the room pictures in the meantime...
Thanks Fritz for informing this good news.
I was unaware Mr.Elliano is now mading tube amps, the GM70 tube seems a natural choice for 20W/pc or more, since sino big Triodes are unreliable and NOS US big Triodes are extinct and the technology to make them is lost as the 300B.
I will look Eletraprint site.
Regards

Cheeseboy

« Reply #105 on: 4 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm »
I'll let my Speakers do the Talkin for Me  - Award

These speakers could pick the fly shite out of the pepper.    They were incredibly resolving and gorgeous sounding.   Good lookin too if you are a cello lover.  Not a word was said as we kindly recieved our listening ration of Lawrence Speakers.   The bottom end didn't shake up my gut but everything else was so well launched into the room.  This was the most non evasive demo I have ever received.  The man and woman in the room didn't say a word. 

If John didn't look we would have never known these had a rear firing ribbon tweeter

I think if you buy a pair of speakers you get the rug free.

Back off and scratch it Cheeseboy.  We've got awards!

shawbros3

« Reply #106 on: 4 Jun 2013, 10:47 pm »
Did anyone else get a listen and what did you think?

I too got a call from that same weirdo at about the same time and me and my buddy decided to pay Onda a visit.   Well, let's just say we both left changed men.  The super charged music playing really tattooed us with the tightest, fastest, and attacking bass we have ever heard bar none.  The energy coming from any other speaker at those levels would have blown my ears off, but these Onda's were defying physics that's for sure.  No hurt whatsoever, it was amazing.  It was the ONLY room in which my buddy didn't doze off in, except for maybe the Cessaro/Tron horn room.  Who said horns couldn't do vocals with amazing realism and tone and not sound honky in the process, that room sure changed those misconceptions pretty quickly...

From top to bottom the Onda room wasn't the smoothest sounding system, but it gave us the jolt we needed before the plane ride home.  And even today we are still chatting about that crazy room...

Most Shocking System at the show for me :thumb: 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #107 on: 4 Jun 2013, 11:30 pm »
Who amongst us is a broker and willing to share some stock tips?  Super mutual funds?  Whatever??  There must be more millionaires today than ever in history based on the rooms at this show.  Get a look at some of those turntables!!  I'm serious about investment advice.  Feel free to PM me.  Thanks.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #108 on: 5 Jun 2013, 12:29 am »
Beat the $30K TAD E1's I had last year. 

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
:scratch:  I'd sure like to see the data on these....if they can compete with the E1 I'd like to see a CR1 replacement then that isn't $45k.  Those I want.

audioengr

« Reply #109 on: 5 Jun 2013, 04:46 am »
:scratch:  I'd sure like to see the data on these....if they can compete with the E1 I'd like to see a CR1 replacement then that isn't $45k.  Those I want.

I would predict that they beat any other speaker.  Never heard anything like them before in 15 years of doing shows.  Ryan can give you the anechoic chamber plots.

I put my system back together at home and I'm now playing many of the new tracks I acquired that sounded amazing on the show speakers.  Really disappointing.  I hate my system :cry:

Steve N.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #110 on: 5 Jun 2013, 06:36 am »
I know how you feel.  Thank god for late night listening.  Stuff always sounds better at my home way into the evening.  For me it's not hate just why can't it sound like some of the systems I heard over the last two days in Newport.  I have alot of work to do on my system.  But it ain't as bad as some rooms I listened to.

On another note if you say your room sounded better than last year that is a big statement.  I really enjoyed the TAD's and John Curl and of course your digital wizardry combination at Newport one year ago.  It moved me to write and give you my 2 cents.  Are you going to be at the California Show with those speakers? 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #111 on: 5 Jun 2013, 06:40 am »
Who amongst us is a broker and willing to share some stock tips?  Super mutual funds?  Whatever??  There must be more millionaires today than ever in history based on the rooms at this show.  Get a look at some of those turntables!!  I'm serious about investment advice.  Feel free to PM me.  Thanks.

Invest in getting Onda some manufacturing expertise and a US distributor.  It just might be a sure thing.  The stock market has always been like betting the ponies.  Best of luck to you.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #112 on: 5 Jun 2013, 08:16 am »
Thanks for the reports guys.....well done... :beer:

audioengr

« Reply #113 on: 5 Jun 2013, 06:03 pm »
I know how you feel.  Thank god for late night listening.  Stuff always sounds better at my home way into the evening.  For me it's not hate just why can't it sound like some of the systems I heard over the last two days in Newport.  I have alot of work to do on my system.  But it ain't as bad as some rooms I listened to.

On another note if you say your room sounded better than last year that is a big statement.  I really enjoyed the TAD's and John Curl and of course your digital wizardry combination at Newport one year ago.  It moved me to write and give you my 2 cents.  Are you going to be at the California Show with those speakers?

I'm just one guy that wears a lot of hats, so I really can afford to take time off for only one show a year.  Besides, it's exhausting.  I need a life too 8)

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #114 on: 5 Jun 2013, 06:07 pm »

I have never made money on tips from brokers.  They are not about making money for you, just themselves IME.  Instead, I would recommend to watch the nightly business report every night.  Search on Google for what Warren Buffet is buying and selling (ie: IBM and PSX). Also, if you get a brokerage account for your IRA at Fidelity, they have every day the buy/sell ratios for lots of highly traded stocks.  You can identify dips and buy on these and sell when everyone else is selling.  That way you leverage expertise from a wide swath of investors, both private and professional.

Steve N.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #115 on: 6 Jun 2013, 01:44 am »
I would predict that they beat any other speaker.  Never heard anything like them before in 15 years of doing shows.  Ryan can give you the anechoic chamber plots.

I put my system back together at home and I'm now playing many of the new tracks I acquired that sounded amazing on the show speakers.  Really disappointing.  I hate my system :cry:

Steve N.

First let me start off by saying that it was great working with you Steve, even though you completely hogged the playlist for the whole weekend.   :lol: 

I for one loved the selection of orchestral works.  They really showed off the dynamic chops of Nimbus, along with its ability to effortlessly pull out the detail and complexity presented by those tracks.  I can only wonder what the 250W BMC might have been able to pull off since the 40W SET blew us all away.

Second, let me sincerely apologize.  It pains me to know that our weekend together has forever ruined your appreciation of your current system.  But just know that Ryan and I will do whatever it takes to create for you a personalized pair of Nimbus to assuage your disdain and to bring some joy back into your listening life.   :green:

Seriously, we'd love to work with you to build a set, and look forward to showing off those awesome DACs at RMAF with the new Nimbus "White" featuring Accuton mids.

jhm731

« Reply #116 on: 6 Jun 2013, 01:51 am »
Most of the show reports I've read think this was the best sounding room:

Afterimage

« Reply #117 on: 6 Jun 2013, 02:30 am »

It's rare when a customers music is either a good recording or to my liking either, but you play it for them.  Never the whole track though.  Tends to scare everyone away.

You can always come back 10 minutes later and hear anything you want.

Best sound we have had at any show IMO.  Beat the $30K TAD E1's I had last year.  Better bass.  Similar off-axis response to the TAD and no uni-Q driver needed.  Sounds identical standing, sitting or off to the side.  No speaker EQ required, only room correction using Amarra.  Flattest response I have seen with my Earthworks calibrated mic.  May have to get a pair...

The 805 monoblock amps were wonderful too.  Effortless and can get REALLY loud if you want.  After hours Ryan literally blew me out of the room with tattered clothes :o

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

I looked through thread, but I didn't catch it, what speakers did you have in the room?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #118 on: 6 Jun 2013, 02:37 am »
I looked through thread, but I didn't catch it, what speakers did you have in the room?

Vapor Audio "Nimbus"

Cheeseboy

« Reply #119 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:55 am »
Most of the show reports I've read think this was the best sounding room:

I thought that room was just ho hum.  Very smooth but lacking some detail I had heard elsewhere.  Perhaps the wrong music and the wrong timing.  No one seemed to be in charge keeping the ball rolling.  All that beautiful Audio Research gear.  I wouldn't even call it one of my top ten. 

One of my favorite rooms was a cable company with all Modright gear and Marten speakers.  Who was that company.  They were a great positive energy.  They turned me onto some new music.  It was a sweet system.