HT3 DIY Kit

audioferret

HT3 DIY Kit
« on: 14 Nov 2006, 11:55 pm »
Well,

Its about time I posted my full review of the HT3 DIY speaker kit from RAW Acoustics.

Current Photos at: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=33267.0
You can track the building process at:  http://www.geocities.com/ghaunadaur99/audio/ht3.html

Equipment:

SOURCE -  I use a (modded) Onix X-CD88 CD Player as a transport, supported by a Perpetual Technologies P1a, P3 (Modwright Level II), and Monolithic Sound Perpetual Power Plant. 

Preamp/Amp - Currently using a Onkyo Integra 807A 80wpc Integrated Amplifier.  Soon, I will finish my DIY UCD-180 Monoblocks and the Mapletree Audio Magic 5B (50% done)

The speakers are the HT3 Kit with all upgrades: Vibebuster8 Spike Feet, Solen Capacitors, etc.  I built the Crossover in an external box so that I can experiment with active electonics and biamping in the future, but for now I will remain in passive mode.

I first came across the speaker here on Audiocircle, and I was very impressed with the possibilities.  I Wanted a slim, small floorstanding full-range speaker.  I wanted it to be a DIY design so that I could get hte most speaker for the money, and because I really enjoy the building process.  There is a huge difference between listening to something you have bought and listening to something you bave BUILT!

Up to this point, the speaker I have drooled over has been the Sonus Faber Cremona.  What a beautiful speaker!  The sound in that speaker has been the benchmark for me for a couble of years.  However, at almost $9,000 - the speaker is way out of my price range.  The HT3 had some very positive feedback here on Audiocircle, so I decided to give it a try.

The building process was really fun.  I special-ordered piano-grade 13-ply baltic birch from a local supplier in two 5x5 sheets.  VERY HEAVY and Bulky.  After that, I slowly started the cutting and shaping process.  All edges were rounded off (use 3/4" round-offs, not 1/2!) and a friend helped on cutouts with his drill press.  The crossovers were tricky, but easy to fix in that I had them in an external enclosure.  When assembled, I selected a walnut crotch veneer and went through the pains of wrapping a 4x4 sheet covered in contact cement around a 50 lb speaker...again - not fun...but...FUN!

Staining and sealing was done with tung oil and shellac (9 coats each).  I have not waxed hem as of yet...I have some more projects to knock out.  :)

The speakers play in my living room, a 22'x14' room with a 9' to 20' sloping ceiling opening in three places - to the kitchen (open wall) hallway (arch) and second floor (arch).  Sadly, the wife will not allow room treatment, but I am planning creative uses for art, furniture, and curtains later. 

These speakers fill the entire house with sound, or play crisply in quiet solitude when turned down.  If I had to say it in one sentence - I don't lust after the Cremonas anymore.  I plan to take them to the local HiFi store to side-by-side test them one day.

Timber:  With voices, there are passages in music that can give one goosebumps with its emotion.  I have only experienced this a few times with different setups - this speaker included.  Instruments sound very accurate and clear with no distortion at any volume I care to listen at.  Cymbols are VERY realistic and chimes are super clear with the ribbon tweeter.

Soundstage:  Clear outside the speakers' width.  Depth is excellent, with passages of choral music or far-off instruments sounding like they are coming from the other side of a concert hall.  Reverb and echos are captured beautifully and realisticly.  If the refrigerator weren't humming, I would believe I was "there".

Dynamics:  Music is felt in the chest on powerful bass passages.  These speakers are great for everything, including home theater (tried them in my downstairs treated theater - excellent even in 2-channel surround-sound mode on Return of the King!).  No subwoofer needed, but hey - you need to hear that occasional 20Hz note, so what the heck (Rythmik Subwoofer in my future?...)

Extra: Vibebuster 8 spikes.  Before adding these spikes, I really loved these speakers.  After the spikes, I realized how much vibe was transmitting to the floor and muddying the bass.  There is almost no vibe now and the sound is much improved.  The tarzan soundtrack is a really good demo for this.

Last - The wife loves them.  They look great and she has gotten into listening to all her music over again.  I played her favorite broadway and she got choked up...

I hope this review was helpful.  Let me know if there are any questions...

-AF

jules

Re: HT3 DIY Kit
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2006, 12:03 am »
Nice review a-ferret!

You've used first rate materials and you're absolutely right ... there's nothing like the reward of a finished DIY project

jules

RAW

Re: HT3 DIY Kit
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:40 am »
Well done review plus it was nice to see you at RMAF this year and spend a little time talking.

Glad you enjoy the finished HT3's with the VB8 spikes.

Enjoy.