nOrh, 3.0 teak Prism loudspeakers

lo mein

nOrh, 3.0 teak Prism loudspeakers
« on: 4 Jan 2003, 05:26 am »
Originally posted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:11 pm, at harmonicdiscord.com,    Post subject: nOrh 3.0 Prisms.

I've a pair of nOrh teak 3.0 prism, for about a year now. Don't let them fool you.  The better the front ends, the better they'd sound.

I've driven them with both the Odyssey Stratos, and MB-100/LeAmps, as well as NAD, Yamaha, McIntosh tube. They can play clean and quite loud. Louder than I can bear in my 15x12x8 ft bedroom; before audible distortion sets in. They may not play heavy metal well, I don't know... But very wonderful with jazz and so on.

Vocals are very enjoyable too.

The nOrh 3.0 prism replaced my B&W 302s. The 302s have more bass, but sounds very muddy, when compared to the 3.0 prism. The 302s sound MUCH BETTER with both LeAmps, and the Stratos, than with the NAD, or the Yamaha.

But even with the better amps. The B&W302s are no match for the nOrh 3.0 prisms.

Day and night differences...

The nOrh 3.0 prisms ate the 302s for breakfast... Much better in clearity, articulation, and tight mid bass. The highs are quite smooth. I've owned the 302s since 1999. So, both brands are well broken-in. The 302s were fine small speakers, one of my all time favorite... until the nOrh 3.0 showed up.

Even the details, imaging and soundstaging are much better than the 302s. The 3.0s are quite transparent too.

The 3.0s almost disappear when powered by the better amps. Throw out almost a wall to wall sound, with very decent depth, a pretty wide soundstaging and imaging. The bass and dynamic are very decent, and enjoyable from such a small driver. With either the NAD and the Yamaha, they're still very enjoyable, but not as nice as with the other amps.
That little speaker driver looks like the Seas clone to me.

With my tubed McIntosh, the 3.0s sound a bit warm. But not as overly warm as the 302s when drivened by my McIntosh tube. The kind of sound that you can expected from an all tubed amp. So, the 3.0s should be very nice with the new tube int. amp from nOrh.
Yes, the woodwork is nicely done as well. And your guests will ask you what they are, like all nOrh's speakers.

For the price, I don't think you can get anything better in musicality and workmanship on the finishings, than the nOrh 3.0.

I think I'll get a pair of 3.0 wood drums too, since I don't have any wood drums. Enjoy them. They sound a lot better after 70 hours or so.

The 3.0s are quite musical too. You can listen to them for hours without fatique.

Alex