GR Research Criterion Review

Ferdi

« Reply #20 on: 2 Jan 2003, 02:03 pm »
thanks Jerry. Now I'm all confused about what to do.  :?

audiojerry

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2003, 07:11 pm »
Ferdi, what are you confused about?

audiojerry

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jan 2003, 03:06 am »
Does anyone in the Milwaukee area want to hear these before they are shipped elsewhere. They are most definitely worth the effort.

audiojerry

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jan 2003, 03:16 am »
The cabinets on the demo pair are extremely rock solid; the most solid I've ever hurt my knucles on. One speaker weighs in at around 40 pounds!
And this is for a speaker not much bigger than a shoe box. I've had floor standers weigh less than that. The joints are precise as are the cutouts for the drivers. Danny said the cabinets are available as 'flat pack', so I am assuming that means they must be glued/screwed together? The finish on the demo's is passable, but I've seen better. I don't know if the cabinet kit is veneered or finished, but for under $100 they seem like a great deal.

What do you think Brian would charge for a finished pair.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2003, 04:08 am »
As Marbles said, I'm working out the details as far as cabinet pricing and looking for 1.25" MDF.  So far, my regular suppliers don't have anything thicker than 1.125".  I personally don't think 1/8" will make any difference with such a small cabinet.  Also, the supplier that can get the 1.125" MDF delivers for free!  So as long as Danny doesn't think it's much of an issue We'll probably go with that.  Of course, if you don't have any reservations with this anyway, then there's no problem. :)  Not to mention, there is such a thing as having too thick of a baffle.  There was a very thorough article in Speaker Builder/AudioXpress Magazine a year or so ago where distortion measurements were taken on a midrange driver with baffles of various thicknesses.  Of course, Danny's the designer here, so I'll defer to him on those issues.

Also, just for the record, the finish on those demo cabinets is not our work. ;)

audiojerry

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jan 2003, 03:48 pm »
Brian, now I'm confused. Are the demo cabinets yours, but not the finish? Or are they the flatpack kit?

Brian Bunge

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jan 2003, 03:57 pm »
Jerry,

We did not build or finish the demo cabinets.  Danny built and finished those himself.  But I do have two pairs of Criterion cabinet flats that just came in from CSS.  I'll be building and finishing these two for Danny.  

Thank God I didn't have to pay shipping on these suckers! :)

Brian Bunge

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jan 2003, 06:20 pm »
OK, I've talked things over with Danny and we've worked out the pricing.  Danny gave me the go ahead for the 1.125" MDF.  There's just not going to be any issues with cabinet flex with such small panels.

So here goes.  The Criterion cabinets will be $200 each in either oak, maple or cherry finishes.  No upcharge for maple or cherry.  We'll be doing the full veneer wrap just like on the A/V series cabinets.  You can also purchase matching stands for an additional $199/pr.  Danny will be updating his website so that orders can be placed directly through him.

If there are any questions just let me know.

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:20 pm »
I'm wondering if we should try to should commercial discussions in the Review section. It would tend to create the wrong impression.

Tyson, Jerry, your thoughts?

(No offense intended to anyone of course :-))

JohnR

audiojerry

« Reply #29 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:29 pm »
Quote from: JohnR
I'm wondering if we should try to should commercial discussions in the Review section. It would tend to create the wrong impression.
Tyson, Jerry, your thoughts?
JohnR

Well, JohnR, if I understand your sentence :wink: I think it would be kind of hard to control posts/replies after the review is posted. I can see where a review might trigger all types of responses and questions, and sooner or later it will start to get off topic a bit. I guess that's healthy, because it shows interest in the topic. I don't see the harm once the review has been entered.

JohnR

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jan 2003, 11:10 pm »
Well, "control" is very much the wrong word. In that regard, I was thinking about creating an atmosphere that is more, well, critical in the better sense of the word, than just the same as everywhere else on the site. People tend to fit in to an atmosphere of a virtual place; in the same way that AC has a different atmostphere to AA which is different to, um, diyaudio.com, AC could and should have different areas which have a different atmosphere. I have thought for a while that the most interesting parts of HD were the Aspen and HornShoppe forums, because the posting style in those was different to the rest.

My concern here, to be more specific, is that if reviews are followed up by commercial discussions, it will create the impression on people that come along later that the review was posted for that purpose. Remember that reviews, unlike threads in most other circles, will not fade away, and will be indexed specifically for future reference.

JohnR

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 3 Jan 2003, 11:18 pm »
I think a seperate discussion thread should be started for reviews, and only the original review should be "locked" as a self contained document.  If there is a way to do this automatically, that would be ideal.  Ie, when the review is "replied" to by a person with comments/questions, they are re-directed to a discussion thread, where the review is replicated, and can be commented on.  Can this be done?

JohnR

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jan 2003, 11:44 pm »
The plan is to make a page that lists all the reviews by manufacturer and by category. When you click on a link, you will get a page containing only the review. That page will have a link to followup discussion, which will dump you into the thread in Critic's Circle.

However it won't happen for a while because there's some important back end work that needs to be done first... like backups :o

I'm still concerned about the apparent connection between objective reviews and commercially-related followup...

JohnR

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jan 2003, 11:56 pm »
I don't think that connection is avoidable, particularly if the reviews are of equipment from manufacturers on AC.

Maybe we should encourage people to do reviews of other equipment, not just of forum related products.

JohnR

« Reply #34 on: 3 Jan 2003, 11:57 pm »
When I was a teenager I had a red pair of jeans.... :o

Tyson

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jan 2003, 11:59 pm »
Hehe, I changed it after you took out the "Critics circle should be reserved for criticism" line.  Sorry!

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 4 Jan 2003, 12:01 am »
:lol:

Maybe you're right. Encouraging reviews of "outside" stuff would be good :)

JohnR

Brian Bunge

« Reply #37 on: 4 Jan 2003, 01:34 am »
John,

I merely posted the information in this thread because it was asked in this thread.  I also posted the pricing info. in my forum as well as the GR Research forum.  So if you feel it would be best to remove my posts pertaining to price from this thread then feel free.  Marbles' link to the thread in my forum should suffice for those interested.

JohnR

« Reply #38 on: 4 Jan 2003, 03:11 am »
I'm not removing anything, I was just raising the question about what this circle is for...

:-)

JohnR

hoxuanduc

« Reply #39 on: 4 Jan 2003, 05:55 am »
Hi guys, I finally figure out where you guys are!
Jerry, is it me next on the list?  Thanks, Duc