SongSeries in Olivewood

Nuance

Re: SongSeries in Olivewood
« Reply #20 on: 11 Dec 2008, 06:01 pm »
Hi, I'm Henry. I received these today, and they are incredible, both in appearance and craftsmanship and sound quality. I really like the bass, and the clarity and detail of the midrange and treble combine with great imaging and soundstage characteristics to make it seem like I am listening to music rather than speakers. They've really shed new light on music I've enjoyed for a long time.

So far, I've only tried out the SongTowers on an old Kenwood stereo. I'll be getting surround equipment soon, but my home theater room isn't ready yet. I have a temporary spot that will work well once I get the equipment.

I chose olivewood because I've always like it quite a bit but rarely see it, even among exotic woods and things made from them. I've worked with it some as well, though only for small things, and really liked the results. I like the flowing grain and the colors, as well as how it finishes. I think it looks great on these speakers, and I'm glad I chose it.
Henry -

Congrats again.  I know that Jim already took pictures, but would you mind taking some more for our viewing pleasure?

Thanks!

Qwertyzor

« Reply #21 on: 17 Dec 2008, 05:40 am »
I've created an album on this site with pictures. They were high resolution before upload, but rather noisy with kind of bad lighting.

My home theater room isn't ready yet, so I've got everything set up temporarily in another room, so while the speakers look very nice the other furniture is kind of rudimentary and nothing really matches or anything. I'll be getting surround sound and video equipment soon.

I'll post some new pictures when the room is done, and it should look really nice, but considering it was originally going to be done around this week I don't know when that will be. delays.....

BradJudy

« Reply #22 on: 17 Dec 2008, 01:47 pm »
Very nice setup.  That's a massive sub - is it from Epik?

Qwertyzor

« Reply #23 on: 17 Dec 2008, 06:12 pm »
Very nice setup.  That's a massive sub - is it from Epik?
Yes, it is the Conquest. I haven't been able to really set it up properly yet, but what I've tried so far is very impressive.

funkmonkey

« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2008, 09:51 pm »
 :thumb: The whole set looks amazing.  Are your SongSurrounds top ported???  or am I seeing things?  That's not the standard configuration, is it? special request?  Just curious.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #25 on: 17 Dec 2008, 11:06 pm »
:thumb: The whole set looks amazing.  Are your SongSurrounds top ported???  or am I seeing things?  That's not the standard configuration, is it? special request?  Just curious.

Hey funk, Hope your HT3s arrive soon, as in for the Eve, will be a sweet present if so. Am looking forward to your pics.  :drool:

My SS Is came the same way (I only got 2 for a 5.1), as Henry's lovely set. While I noted it, didn't think to ask Jim if there was a specific reason. Maybe he'll catch the question and fill us in. They sound pretty sweet, have been testing in several situations to comment in response to a ? from icp a while back. Results soon.

Fantastic grain, and outasight package Mr. Q. No question you will enjoy thoroughly.  :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #26 on: 18 Dec 2008, 12:11 am »

Hey funk, Hope your HT3s arrive soon, as in for the Eve, will be a sweet present if so. Am looking forward to your pics.  :drool:

My SS Is came the same way (I only got 2 for a 5.1), as Henry's lovely set. While I noted it, didn't think to ask Jim if there was a specific reason. Maybe he'll catch the question and fill us in. They sound pretty sweet, have been testing in several situations to comment in response to a ? from icp a while back. Results soon.

Fantastic grain, and outasight package Mr. Q. No question you will enjoy thoroughly.  :thumb:

I assume the SS's are top ported to allow for wall mounting.  Are you sure you guys didn't
mention something about wall mounting to Jim? 

Qwertyzor

« Reply #27 on: 18 Dec 2008, 12:49 am »
I asked for the top porting on the SongSurrounds for wall mounting.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #28 on: 18 Dec 2008, 05:03 am »
That is 1 sweet system! :thumb: Hopefully you'll update this thread with further pictures once the dust settles and you have everything in place. That wood grain simply pops in your pictures. :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

Nuance

« Reply #29 on: 18 Dec 2008, 06:01 am »
That setup is stunning!  I love it!

Congrats again!

ArthurDent

« Reply #30 on: 18 Dec 2008, 11:05 am »

I assume the SS's are top ported to allow for wall mounting.  Are you sure you guys didn't
mention something about wall mounting to Jim? 

I didn't, honestly didn't think about it one way or the other.  :scratch:  Just left it to Jim to do his usual great work. Guess that gives me an extra option I'd not considered. Back channels currently reside on a couple of bookshelves, but wall mounting would probably be a better arrangement. Guess it's time to get the tools out.  Thanks for the info Dennis.  :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #31 on: 18 Dec 2008, 03:50 pm »
We are often faced with less-than-ideal placement issues, especially for surround speakers.  Ideally, you would like to see rear-ported surrounds placed around 18 - 24" from the rear wall.  But more often than not, this is not possible.

Many of our customers end up mounting surrounds on the rear wall.  We (and they) have found this to be a very workable wall mount for that purpose.

http://www.btech-usa.com/bt77.html

We have a pair wall-mounted with this bracket in our shop.  This pair has rear-firing ports and they sound quite good even though they are closer to the wall than ideal.  Another option is to move the port.  But bottom ports are not possible with this bracked and we always try and avoid front-firing ports.  So placing the ports on the top of the speakers is an option provided they are not too close to the ceiling.

In ArthurDent's case, he was placing them on a bookshelf and I assumed they would be too close to the rear wall.  So we top-ported those speakers as well.  It seemed like the best option considering the application.

- Jim

ArthurDent

« Reply #32 on: 18 Dec 2008, 04:20 pm »
Thanks for the link Jim. Nice looking units, just ordered a pair. Will make for a much better arrangement. The bookshelves are half way along each of the long sidewalls currently, but 1 is significantly less than ideal position. The wall mounts will make for better adjustability in aiming, and equal elevation.

Recommendation on distance down from ceiling ? I've only got a 7'-8" ceiling in the A/V room. If I'm sidetracking the thread please PM me Jim, apologies Q.

JD   :thumb: