Peridot

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Peridot
« on: 9 Aug 2005, 10:01 am »
I guess the Peridot must be new- do you have any info on them?  Or any pictures of a veneered pair?  I'm curious how they compare to the rest of the Selah line.

BradJudy

Peridot
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2005, 01:03 pm »
From another thread here:

Actually both the Peridot and RC4 now have the tapered cabinet design. Both share the same tweeter and midrange. The RC4 is a 4-way design with dual 8" Seas Excel magnesium cone woofers and a side-firing powered 12" subwoofer.

The Peridot has the Seas 8" aluminum cone woofers but no subwoofer. The woofers in the Peridot can be configured in one of three ways:

1) sealed box for use with an external subwoofer (-3db @ 52hz)

2) full-range / ported cabinet (18" deep) (-3db @35hz)

3) full-range / sealed box with equalization (-3db @29hz)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Peridot
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2005, 02:39 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I guess the Peridot must be new- do you have any info on them?  Or any pictures of a veneered pair?  I'm curious how they compare to the rest of the Selah line.

I don't have a veneered pair yet but the cabinet size will be the same as the RC4. If you're interested I'll build you a pair and you'll have a 45-day trial period to see if they are a good fit for your system.

MarkM

Peridot
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2005, 04:22 am »
The ribbon drivers are exceptional.  Detailed, but not forward or bright.  I have found Ricks designs to allow me to easily distinguish differences in the gear/cables upstream of the audio signal.

The Peridot looks like a great value.  At the price point, looks like it replaced the Carnelian, which  makes sense.   Better midrange driver, dual 8" drivers.

The Seas Excell 8" woofer did not produce the amount of bass I was expecting from a $165 8" woofer in the Carnelian.

Built the RC3R, the SS 8545 7" woofer moves about the same air in a smaller footprint.

Ricks designs are very well excecuted.  Outstanding value, price/performance is where it is at imo.

I had been thinking about the RC4 kit, but the Peridot seems like a steal at the price point for a kit.   Dual 8" drivers with  better bass response than the Excell drivers and 1/2 the cost ea.  :)  Can add the Whomp subs as audio slush fund allows. :wink:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Peridot
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2005, 02:58 pm »
Quote from: MarkM
The ribbon drivers are exceptional. Detailed, but not forward or bright. I have found Ricks designs to allow me to easily distinguish differences in the gear/cables upstream of the audio signal.

The Peridot looks like a great value. At the price point, looks like it replaced the Carnelian, which makes sense. Better midrange driver, dual 8" drivers.

The Seas Excell 8" woofer did not produce the amount of bass I was expecting from a $165 8" woofer in the Carnelian.

Built the RC3R, the SS 8545 7" woofer moves about the same air in a smaller footprint.

Ricks designs are very well excecuted. Outstanding value, price/performance is where it is at imo.

I had been thinking about the RC4 kit, but the Peridot seems like a steal at the price point for a kit. Dual 8" drivers with better bass response than the Excell drivers and 1/2 the cost ea.  Can add the Whomp subs as audio slush fund allows.

Thanks for your positive comments. The Carnelian is still available but the Peridot is a better speaker a little more $. The Seas W22 Excel 8" is optimized for higher sensitivity than the aluminum cone L22 and has an extended upper end response to make it possible to cross in a 2-way design. Because of this the L22's perform much better full-range in a 3-way with greater bass extension. A single L22 could be used in the Carnelian but the sensitivity would be pretty low so that's why I don't use it for that particular design.

The Carnelian works very well in a sealed box crossing over to a subwoofer. One possibility is adding a side-firing subwoofer  to make it similar to the Chalcedony.