Value of Sonicap upgrade for SongTowers?

fsimms

Re: Value of Sonicap upgrade for SongTowers?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2009, 01:43 pm »
@fsimms

I assume you have the HT1's (rather than the HT1-TL, which I understand was just introduced)?

You are right.  I got mine before Jim made any HT3's.

In my own direct comparison between the SongTower (not RT) and HT1-TL I would say that when there was a difference in imaging the advantage went to the HT1-TL (in Dennis's room and with the music we listened to).

That is very interesting!  In my condo the SongTowers imagined better than any speaker that I have ever heard.  I am sure that I have heard speakers that had the capability to image as well as the SongTowers, but they didn't do it in my presence.   Could it be that since I have an early model that the minor changes that Dennis Murphy has made in the HT1 crossover could cause the lesser performance of my HT1's?  Maybe you are right that it was the room/setup.

I did hear what you might be referring to as bloom in the SongTowers. I'm not sure if we're hearing the same thing, but for me it was more that the SongTowers (in a relative sense) were darker and less open sounding. Those adjectives probably come across as more pejorative than I mean them. It's just a different flavor of good, although the sound stage depth of the HT1-TL was definitely a good thing in my view.

I think the difference in bloom was due to the difference in cone materials of the two speakers.

I didn't notice any change in soundstage depth, but I did notice that my HT1's had a wider soundstage.

Bob

newzooreview

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:41 pm »
@BrianM

I get what you're saying. One of the many good things about Salk speakers, to me at least, is that Dennis has a major role in the voicing, and he plays with the Washington Philharmonic, so he knows how acoustic classical should sound. It is definitely a more demanding test than rock or pop where, as you say, it's harder to get a grip on what the true presentation really is.

@fsimms

I wish you could have been with us when we were listening at Dennis's. A lot of things could be going on (begin speculation theater). His room is fairly large and the speakers are several feet from the sidewalls, so that the speakers are not generating strong sidewall reflections. In that setting the high frequencies are radiating fairly cleanly to the listener, so the relatively greater extension and detail coming from the HT1-TL ribbon tweeter provide more clues about hall acoustics in the original recording than the SongTowers provide. However, in a different room with the SongTowers placed more closely to the sidewalls, it might have an apparent advantage. The SongTower tweeter (if I understand correctly) has a wider horizontal angle of radiation, so at the listener's ear the SongTower tweeter in the smaller room may generate some sidewall reflections that enhance the sense of spaciousness while the HT1-TL high frequencies may arrive without reflections. In that case the apparent SongTower soundstage depth might be greater. To beat the hypothesis to death, there are some speakers that have rear-firing tweeters that can be adjusted to provide varying amounts of rear-wall reflections to enhance the sense of the hall ambience. I don't know if that all makes sense (or is correct). But there are certainly factors that could cause one speaker to behave in the apparently opposite direction to what I heard, considering that the speakers are voiced similarly and the differences are not night and day.

fsimms

Correction!
« Reply #22 on: 18 Oct 2009, 12:28 pm »
In my condo the SongTowers imaged better than any speaker that I have ever heard.  I am sure that I have heard speakers that had the capability to image as well as the SongTowers, but they didn't do it in my presence.

I made that statement last week.  I just remembered the $80,000 111 MBL speakers that I heard at RMAF a year ago.  I think they imaged better than the Songtowers did in my condo.  Sorry about my confusion.

Bob

newzooreview

« Reply #23 on: 18 Oct 2009, 04:06 pm »
@fsimms

Ha! I think the oversight can be excused. The SongTowers do image beautifully. Who knows, if you had sold off your stamp collection to buy the MBL's you may have found they just didn't sound as good at home as they did at the show. :)