SongTowers First Impression

rlee8394

Re: SongTowers First Impression
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jul 2007, 05:52 pm »
Fair enough Dennis. :)

jsalk

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jul 2007, 06:24 pm »
Not meaning to stir the pot but, what if the SongTower's were designed with the Seas W15CY drivers and the G2 or G2Si tweeter? I only pose this question because there seems to be comparisions going on here regarding the magnesium driver and the ribbon tweeter. Of course it would increase the price in drivers alone by about $300 or more, but still a far cry from the Veracity QW model in price. Although maybe the magnesium driver's parameters are not conducive to the SongTower's design principles. I don't know but I'm sure curious! :)

I think Dennis addressed this question well.

The point I would make is that we already have a speaker very similar to that.  It is called the HT2.  When you start getting into higher priced drivers, it seems to make sense to have custom cabinets, boutique crossover parts, high end binding posts, etc.  the end result is that you no longer have a moderately-priced speaker.

We are constantly looking at potential new models. But the price of the model you are describing would be nowhere near the SongTower's price.  So the only advantage it would offer over, say, the HT2's is a narrower front baffle.  The amount of labor involved in building the cabinet and the cost of the drivers would put the price at the same level as the HT2's.  So it doesn't really make sense unless people really want a narrower speaker.

Besides, I think the SongTowers sound so nice, there really isn't a need to "improve" upon it.  They are great just as they are.

I hope that makes sense.

- Jim

stereodad

« Reply #22 on: 1 Aug 2007, 02:59 pm »
Do the SongTowers disappear,does the music seem seperate from the speakers?

Thanks  Larry

rlee8394

« Reply #23 on: 1 Aug 2007, 03:54 pm »
Jim/Dennis,
Is the SongTower Sub going to be active or passive?
Thanks,
Ron

jsalk

« Reply #24 on: 1 Aug 2007, 04:07 pm »
Larry -

Thanks  Larry

Perhaps Bob or Randy would better answer this (they would obviously be less biased), but for me, they absolutely disappear.  The soundstage is very deep and wide.

Jim/Dennis,
Thanks,
Ron

The standard SongSub will have a 10" TC driver and a 300-watt plate amp.  A 12" version will also be available but perhaps not in the Song line-up.  It will feature a 12" TC driver with a 500 watt plate amp.

Either could also be made without the plate amp for passive use.

- Jim

fsimms

« Reply #25 on: 2 Aug 2007, 01:57 pm »
Perhaps Bob or Randy would better answer this (they would obviously be less biased), but for me, they absolutely disappear.  The soundstage is very deep and wide.

Sorry to take so long in replying, but it took me a while to think of what to say.   I don't think in terms of speakers disappearing.  The closest that I came to that is hearing Barry's HT3's.  There is so much involved.  Where the recording mikes are, where the speakers are, what the recording room was, the listening room, the mix, the music and how critical you are.  Barry had a room dedicated to his HT3's with sound absorbing cushions all around the room and a room correction preamp.  Under the same conditions, I would guess the SongTowers might even do a better job of disappearing since they seem to image a slight bit better.  In other words I don't know.  The seem to disappear as well as the best of the speakers do.

fwiw, I have the same room correction preamp that Barry does and the SongTowers don't seem to need it.  They do fine just by themselves.
« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2007, 02:27 pm by fsimms »

stereodad

« Reply #26 on: 3 Aug 2007, 02:49 am »
Thanks you guys,I may have to order a pair,just for fun.

Larry

randybessinger

« Reply #27 on: 5 Aug 2007, 03:37 am »
Larry -

Thanks  Larry

Jim/Dennis,
Thanks,
Ron

The standard SongSub will have a 10" TC driver and a 300-watt plate amp.  A 12" version will also be available but perhaps not in the Song line-up.  It will feature a 12" TC driver with a 500 watt plate amp.

Either could also be made without the plate amp for passive use.

- Jim

I have been busy with work (and play-went to Eric Claptons Crossroads benefit Guitar Festival 2) and plan to do a more in depth review in the near future, but as far as imaging, they do that extremely well (and disappear) in my well treated room.  I think they are terrific speakers at any price but especially at Jim's price. More later when I have more time.

Toka

« Reply #28 on: 6 Aug 2007, 10:54 pm »
I apologize if I missed this in one of the other threads, but do the Songtowers have a single or dual sets of binding posts?

jsalk

« Reply #29 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:04 am »
Toka -

I apologize if I missed this in one of the other threads, but do the Songtowers have a single or dual sets of binding posts?

At the $1495 price, they have a single pair of binding posts.  But, of course, if you want bi-wire capable binding posts, you just pay an upcharge for the extra binding posts. No problem.

- Jim

BradJudy

« Reply #30 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:13 am »
Will these be at the RMAF this year?  I was looking forward to the V3's, but having another speaker in your lineup that's really within reach is pretty appealing to check out. 

jsalk

« Reply #31 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:43 am »
Will these be at the RMAF this year?  I was looking forward to the V3's, but having another speaker in your lineup that's really within reach is pretty appealing to check out. 

Chances are very good that we will have a pair of SongTowers at RMAF.  Who knows, we may even consider making up a few pairs with "custom" veneers to sell at the show.

- Jim

Toka

« Reply #32 on: 7 Aug 2007, 02:48 pm »
At the $1495 price, they have a single pair of binding posts.  But, of course, if you want bi-wire capable binding posts, you just pay an upcharge for the extra binding posts. No problem.
- Jim

Sounds good...I actually prefer single posts anyways! Thanks!  :thumb: