High sensitivity home theater speaker

jsalk

High sensitivity home theater speaker
« on: 11 Feb 2015, 07:11 pm »
Over the years, we've often been asked why we didn't produce this type of speaker or that.  Of course, in each case, there are reasons.

There is a school of thought that says home theater speakers must use high-sensitivity "pro" drivers for increased "slam" and "dynamics."  While I may not completely agree, I fully understand the concept. The problem is, up until now we have never run across a driver that would result in a speaker we would put our name on.

The challenges with these "Pro" drivers are three-fold. 
1) They typically require very large cabinets in comparison to cutting edge drivers being developed today.
2) The frequency response of many of these drivers is dreadful.  FR plots tend to look like outlines of the Rocky Mountains.
3) They are relatively lacking in bass extension.

That last item is probably not a major issue for a home theater application in that subwoofers can easily take up the slack.  And high-efficiency drivers do have some advantages.  They take relatively little power to drive and they do offer that elusive "slam" that people find appealing in home theater applications.

Of course, we never want to close the door on any type of speaker a customer might want.  So we are always on the lookout for drivers that might be workable for a given application.

We recently ran across a 96db sensitive coax speaker that showed promise.  It is available with either an aluminum tweeter or a beryllium tweeter, the latter being about twice as expensive as the former.  So we thought we'd give it a shot and here are the results...

Dennis Murphy did his usual stellar job creating a crossover for the driver.  In the process, he commented, "It's extremely clean and focused.  It's the first compression tweeter coax system I've heard that I actually liked. I'm not hearing any horn-type coloration, and there's lots of midrange detail."

The cabinet we designed for these was done in a "golden ratio" format.  They are 27.5"H x 17"W x 12"D and weigh in at 71 pounds each. The sensitivity is about 95db and the F3 is about 47Hz.

This is obviously a niche product normally used in a dedicated home theater behind an acoustically transparent screen.  But if there is some demand for it, we could certainly offer it as a standard product. In that case, we would need to work up pricing and we'd obviously need a name for them.

Comments/name ideas?

- Jim

neekomax

Re: High sensitivity home theater speaker
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2015, 07:21 pm »
Cool.

I'm a fan of coaxial designs. Is that a transmission line thing happening there?

How 'bout the Salk Slam?

ernest787

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2015, 07:22 pm »
This post has me so excited.

My wife and I are planning to build a home theater soonish. I love my Salk speakers so much I already knew when the time came I was going to talk to jim and see what he'd recommend. It seems he may be ahead of the curve already.

I'm sure there would be a market for these as the home theater market seems to be growing.

GentleBender

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2015, 07:25 pm »
How about Salk Avengers? Can't tell I'm a Marvel fan can you? Hulk slam! :roll:

gab

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2015, 07:35 pm »
Point Sorcerer

Jim - what driver are you using?

gab

Art_Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:54 am »
Jim,

There is always interest in a new model of Salk speakers.
So-- what would prevent from using them for  a 2-chanel application?
And another question -- which Salk speakers these would compare/equal to in terms of sound quality?

Thanks!
Art

SCompRacer

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2015, 02:45 am »
How about the Salk Cinema Series.

Salk Cinnamon Series...lol

maxkoz

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2015, 03:17 am »
How about the Salk Cinema Series.

Salk Cinnamon Series...lol

+1 Salk Cinema

audiocrazy

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2015, 07:55 pm »
I'm very much interested in this design. I currently have 7.1 ST setup that i like but might consider them for my HT setup and move ST for 2 ch.
Are there any plans to demo them on any upcoming Audio shows? Are there any currently pending orders for them?

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2015, 09:47 pm »

How 'bout the Salk Slam?

I love that name...well, at least the "Slam" part.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2015, 09:52 pm »
Jim,

There is always interest in a new model of Salk speakers.
So-- what would prevent from using them for  a 2-chanel application?
And another question -- which Salk speakers these would compare/equal to in terms of sound quality?

Thanks!
Art

Well, first of all, they do not play all that deep.  There really isn't much bass extension.  So I don't think anyone would be happy using them without a good subwoofer.  Second, they are quite large.  So the only advantage I could see is that they would be easy to drive.

As good as they are, they are not quite as accurate as most all of our other speakers.  It is just the nature of pro audio drivers.  They were designed for sensitivity, not accuracy.

This type of speaker is very dynamic (providing "slam") and very easy to drive.  But they don't have the precision of our other speakers. 

In my mind, they would be great for home theater, but I don't think I would try and use them for a 2-channel system.  Our Exotica monitors would be a better choice.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2015, 09:55 pm »
Are there any plans to demo them on any upcoming Audio shows?

I think it would make sense if we had a home theater demo room. But I don't see that happening.  We could probably bring them to a show upon request, but this is such a specialized speaker, I'm not sure it would be enough interest to justify bringing them to a show.  That said, I'm always open...

Are there any currently pending orders for them?

We just finished this pair for a customer.  Other than him, no one knew about them until I posted this.  So we haven't had any other orders yet.

- Jim

Rooster19

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2015, 04:43 am »
So if one doesn't want to listen at very loud levels (say -25 on a AVR max) would these speakers be recommended over the Songtowers for a HT setup?

yetis

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2015, 02:52 am »
Interesting, though I think you are opening a large can of worms. I think if you call this a cinema line, you will need to expand the line.  When I first saw this I was thinking we might be getting Atmos speakers. However, I think they are too heavy and deep for wall mounting and likely don't meet the levels required.  Do you have any other details Freq response, sensitivity, continuous max Level.  If you used a ribbon Tweeter, could you lighten the weight?

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2015, 01:33 pm »
Wow - very cool, Jim.  Congrats!  Is there a price estimate for this series?  I'm sure these will peak the interest of many HE/HT lovers.

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2015, 06:39 pm »
Very interested.  What are estimated price levels?

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2015, 07:28 pm »
I haven't had a chance to work up pricing yet and I will be leaving for a week starting tomorrow (my dad turned 90 yesterday and we're having a family gathering in Minnesota this weekend).  So I probably won't be able to work up any pricing until later next week.  Stay tuned...

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2015, 08:23 pm »
Thanks, Jim.  Have a safe trip and Happy 90th to Mr Salk Senior.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2015, 11:54 pm »
Jim,

What is the significance of the Golden Ratio in speaker design? Is it acoustical or aesthetics?

Also, is that a 10" or 12" woofer?

Dragon_vibe

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2015, 05:48 pm »
I think you should go for it.