L2 Signature Monoblocks - Information and Discussion Thread

Bones13

Re: L2 Signature Monoblocks - Information and Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2018, 10:48 pm »
L2 monoblocks without UltraCaps it appears. Please correct if I am wrong.

How about the Pre-Amplifier. I will say I kinda prefer not to have 2 external power blocks. (Or is it just the one power block now with the DHT?, I’m still confused about that)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2018, 11:55 pm »
L2 monoblocks without UltraCaps it appears. Please correct if I am wrong.

Hi Bone13,

I posted the following in the Axpona 2018 thread regarding a similar question about the caps (applies for the L2 Preamp and Monoblocks):

Copy/paste:

They are all linear supplies with very-low ESR (equivalent series resistance) electrolytic capacitors (not ultracaps).  The ESR on the higher voltage rails of the L2 Monoblocks is actually even lower with these electrolytics that I am using compared to using ultracaps.  The reason is because the total ESR of the cap bank on the rails using the ultracaps increases as you add them in series and you need many of them to get these voltage rails (approx. 4 times as many as I use in LIO).

I will say I kinda prefer not to have 2 external power blocks. (Or is it just the one power block now with the DHT?, I’m still confused about that)

L2 does not have external power supplies.  It is all internal (you can see the rear panel pics of the L2 Preamp and Monoblocks on our website).

Vinnie,

That’s a gorgeous chassis and design! Love it! All the best to you!

Best,
Anand.

Thank you, Anand!

Hope to see you guys at RMAF this Fall. 

Vinnie

Bones13

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2018, 02:14 am »
Thanks Vinnie!

Mikeg77

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2018, 06:32 am »
Vinnie, speaking for the tech newbie, I remember reading your earlier post about ESR and electrolytic capacitors and thinking:  Wow, but what does that mean?  Is it a newer form of energy storage/release similar to a bank of Ultracaps where you isolate music power from the home AC, or is it just a new form of direct-from-AC music power supply?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2018, 03:38 pm »
Vinnie, speaking for the tech newbie, I remember reading your earlier post about ESR and electrolytic capacitors and thinking:  Wow, but what does that mean?  Is it a newer form of energy storage/release similar to a bank of Ultracaps where you isolate music power from the home AC, or is it just a new form of direct-from-AC music power supply?

Hi Mikeg77,

ESR = Equivalent Series Resistance.

It is the resistance inside the capacitor.  Using a water analogy, a power supply capacitor is like a storage tank:

- The lower the ESR, the higher the instantaneous current (water flow) the capacitor can output. 
- The higher the capacitance value, the more water can be stored in the tank.
- The higher the voltage, the more water pressure is available.

So we want high storage (Capacitance), high flow (Amperage, flowing through a very low resistance "pipe"), and in order to get more output power, the amplifier needs high enough DC voltage rails (pressure).

Typically, the more output power you want to output, the higher the voltage rails need to be in order to recreate an amplified signal of the input.  The output signal must "swing" (go cycle positive and negative) between the voltage rails but cannot get too close to them or else the waveform gets "clipped" = distorted, as the output cannot go higher than the rails that are being modulated to create it).

I hope this makes sense, but if not, maybe we can start a new thread about it?  I'm sure there are already many good threads on Audiocircle and various forums about topics such as this.   8)

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #25 on: 5 Jul 2018, 06:53 pm »
Are you offering the VR120 in the future?  I'm currently using it as a stereo amp but considered getting another running as a monoblock.  Would that be an option or would I need to upgrade to the L2?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jul 2018, 08:04 pm »
Are you offering the VR120 in the future?  I'm currently using it as a stereo amp but considered getting another running as a monoblock.  Would that be an option or would I need to upgrade to the L2?

Hi Matthew,

The VR120 has been discontinued (They are all sold out, and I do not plan to order parts to make a new production run).

You can trade-in your VR120 for 100% credit towards a pair of L2 Monoblocks (which would be more expensive than
a new VR120, but you will find the increase in performance to be well worth it!)

Best regards,

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #27 on: 8 Jul 2018, 08:30 pm »
Thanks!  I'm super satisfied with the VR120 right now but you never know what the future holds.  The DHT PRE and V2 DAC with the VR120 and the JA Perspectives has been the ultimate system for me, and I can't imagine a better sound.

That said, what's the V2 preamp going to have that my LIO doesn't? Inquiring minds want to know!?!?!?! :) :thumb:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #28 on: 8 Jul 2018, 09:04 pm »

That said, what's the V2 preamp going to have that my LIO doesn't? Inquiring minds want to know!?!?!?! :) :thumb:

Hi MP,

Thanks for your excitement, and I'll be updating the website with all the details (and starting a new discussion thread here on the VR forum) about the L2 Signature Preamp later this month.

It looks like L2 Preamp will not begin shipping until the end of August. 

This has been a very busy summer, but I don't feel so bad staying inside working because I'm beating the heat! 8)

Happy listening!
Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #29 on: 9 Jul 2018, 12:28 am »
I understand the shift towards the mono blocks—what if I don’t decide right away, ie I don’t opt for the mono blocks until a year from now, is the trade in still good?  I’d have to figure out how to arrange the Cardas cables that I biwired without wasting them.  Food for thought!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jul 2018, 02:08 pm »
Hi MP,

I understand the shift towards the mono blocks—what if I don’t decide right away, ie I don’t opt for the mono blocks until a year from now, is the trade in still good?

Yes.  :)

Vinnie

gene9p

« Reply #31 on: 9 Jul 2018, 02:39 pm »
Thanks!  I'm super satisfied with the VR120 right now but you never know what the future holds.  The DHT PRE and V2 DAC with the VR120 and the JA Perspectives has been the ultimate system for me, and I can't imagine a better sound.

could you share a little insight on the VR120. Perhaps the amp you replaced and the sound differences....oh and the speakers you are using...Thanks!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #32 on: 9 Jul 2018, 03:34 pm »
could you share a little insight on the VR120. Perhaps the amp you replaced and the sound differences....oh and the speakers you are using...Thanks!

Hi Gene,

VR120 is a discontinued product now, and I only want to use this thread for discussion of the L2 Monoblocks.  Feel free to email
me privately if you have VR120 questions. 

Regarding speakers, I have been using something of my own that I hope to go into a lot more detail about in another thread this Fall.  Right now I can't say another word about it.  :shh:

Vinnie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 9 Jul 2018, 05:19 pm »
Regarding speakers, I have been using something of my own that I hope to go into a lot more detail about in another thread this Fall.  Right now I can't say another word about it.  :shh:

Vinnie
Will they be at RMAF 2018?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #34 on: 9 Jul 2018, 05:31 pm »
Will they be at RMAF 2018?

Hi jtwrace,

I'm already sharing rooms with Spatial Audio and Harbeth at RMAF 2018, so most likely not (but perhaps
for "after-hours" listening).  We'll see how it goes...

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #35 on: 22 Jul 2018, 03:40 pm »
Here are a few fresh images of the L2 Signature Monoblocks:

8) :singing: :inlove:

Vinnie

PS: I am aiming to send out a newsletter update mid-week:
https://www.vinnierossi.com/newsletter-registration/

And then website updates...

Vinnie R.

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jul 2018, 04:08 pm »
Update 7/26:

L2 Signature Monoblocks webpage updated:

https://www.vinnierossi.com/l2-signature-monoblock/

8)

Vinnie

jriggy

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jul 2018, 05:02 pm »
Hey Vinnie,
do the two mono blocks fit into one flight case or do they have to come in two separate shipping cases?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jul 2018, 05:06 pm »
Hey Vinnie,
do the two mono blocks fit into one flight case or do they have to come in two separate shipping cases?

Hi jriggy,

Each monoblock ships in its own custom case (I considered and tested putting two into one larger case, but wanted the added protection
of a dedicated case per monoblock). 

Vinnie

decur

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jul 2018, 07:42 pm »

So,
I have been listening to my l2 mono blocks for a few weeks now,and i am thrilled at what i am hearing!
In comparing them to my recent vinnie rossi vr120 mono blocks,which i absolutely loved,the l2 has the same sound signature (flavor) as the vr120s,but is more transparent,detailed with less grain.more organic sounding.
These amps completely disapear in my listening room. I ONLY hear music. They are a little warmer sounding than the vr120s,but only slightly so.
I cant wait to hear what the l2 pre amp sounds like with my l2 monos😀 end of august cant come soon eneough....