Recommended power for NX Studio Monitors

petemoss

Recommended power for NX Studio Monitors
« on: 9 Feb 2021, 05:47 pm »
I am building the studio monitor and will be using them in a room about 20x15x10.  Looking to use either a 130wpc ncore amp @ 8 ohms.  Is that sufficient?

Early B.

Re: Recommended power for NX Studio Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2021, 06:07 pm »
You'll get three different responses:

1. No. You can never have enough power. (that's my answer)

2. It depends on what kind of music you listen to, room size, speaker efficiency, and how loud you like to listen. (a safe response, but not really helpful)

3. Yes. From a technical standpoint, 130wpc is more than enough. (the audio geek's response)

mkrawcz

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2021, 06:48 pm »
I have 9.2 watts powering mine in the form of an Elekit TU-8600s.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2021, 07:48 pm »
I'm planning on using a 22 watt 845 based SET in a small 11x10 room. (accompanied by a REL T-2) I'm sure it will more than enough as it's been driving slightly less efficient Ohm 1000's for years in that same room. Once again however, the same timeless parameters apply....how big is the room, how loud and what type of music.

genjamon

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2021, 08:23 pm »
You'll get three different responses:

1. No. You can never have enough power. (that's my answer)

2. It depends on what kind of music you listen to, room size, speaker efficiency, and how loud you like to listen. (a safe response, but not really helpful)

3. Yes. From a technical standpoint, 130wpc is more than enough. (the audio geek's response)

And weighing all three of these responses into one:

Yes, it's enough power to create reasonable to loud listening levels.  That said, your space is not small, and verging on a large room.  I bet the speakers will wimp out in powering that volume of space before the amp does.  That said, more power will likely bring you more ease and ability to rise to louder levels with less strain and retaining highest sound quality for longer. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2021, 04:06 pm »
Agreed, that's a lot room volume for a small monitor regardless of the amplifier used. Adding a pair of subs might help. Only time will tell.

petemoss

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2021, 04:26 am »
thanks all..I did opt for more power.  I also will be using a w frame duel servo sub .sub.