Tung Sol 12au7- thumbs up

bunkertoy

Tung Sol 12au7- thumbs up
« on: 25 Feb 2023, 02:25 pm »
I'm not a reviewer or anything, just wanted to share my newest tube purchase.

I just bought 2 X 12AU7 Tung Sol(made in U.S.A)  horse shoe getter tubes Late 40's early 50's.
Wow did these ever smooth out the sound of my VTL 2.5 preamp. I had the Russian Gold lions in before the swap.

Also swapped out the 2 X 12AT7 with come vintage GE tubes from the same seller.
I'm mentioning this because I now understand the appeal of tube rolling. It's like I've upgraded something in my stereo equipment chain.
Such beautiful sound. I've never heard Telefunken tubes, but I read these(Tung-Sol) have some of the same characteristics, but a much cheaper price.

Just wanted to share my new experience with other Tuber types.
Cheers

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Tung Sol 12au7- thumbs up
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2023, 02:43 pm »
I've never heard Telefunken tubes, but I read these(Tung-Sol) have some of the same characteristics, but a much cheaper price.

I bought a set of NOS Telefunken ECC803 (12AT7) for my integrated to replace some ElectroHarmonix and paired with TungSol or Gold Lion 12AX7. Sound on them is amazingly open and clear with a lot of top end clarity. I'd liken them more toward a much improved Gold Lion than a Tung Sol. For me in my setup the Tung Sol is a very well rounded tube a great balance of high and low, but never losing that midrange. Gold Lions tend to flirt that line for more linearity and Telefunken just blow the lid off for amazing linearity and ultra clarity. I found the best combo being Telefunken with the Tung Sol as the Gold Lion became slightly too forward and sparkly in the treble region. Found out that there CAN in fact be too much of a good thing. As for price, they're all getting up there these days for a matched set ($100+) but it's still fun to try them all out.

Have fun in your tube rolling adventures.
-Lloyd