Rumble in the left channel

Yomaha

Rumble in the left channel
« on: 21 Jul 2015, 07:28 pm »
Hi Board,

I am having some issues with my system, and I wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues, and if so, how were they resolved. 

Current System:
Rega RP-1
Bellari phono pre
Van Alstine Vision SL Pre
Van Alstine Synergy 240 2-channel power amp
Salk Songtower RT's (DOB June 2015)

What's happening:
In the left speaker when I turn on the system, there is a very low Hz rumbling that varies in volume.  I can see the actual woofer moving back and forth.  it is a mixture of low end noise and a little bit of static. I've definitely never heard this before and its done it for two days now.  Its mainly upon start up, but persists for several minutes there after.   It continues even when music is playing, but it doesn't seem as loud - perhaps music masks it. 

What I've done so far:
I have turned off my turntable and phono pre, and the noise still persists. 
I have moved the balance knob from left to right and it still persists in the left speaker.
I have tried switching to inputs (phono, CD, spare, etc) on the Vision pre, and it still makes the noise.
I have unplugged and re-plugged in connectors from pre amp to power amp.
I checked speaker wire connections and it still persists.

I am thinking that maybe I need to hook the other speaker up to the left channel, and if it still does it, then that should isolate it to somewhere in the pre or power phase. 

I am wide open for suggestions here!

Kevin

tvyankee

Re: Rumble in the left channel
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2015, 12:06 am »
Hey,

Leave your speakers hooked to the amp and disconnect the the rca or xlrs going into the amp. Then turn amp back on see if you here anything. Turn amp and pre. Off fist then turn on pre first then your amp asyou dont want to send voltage into the inputs well the amp is on first.If you dont then connect your preamp left ch only see if you here anything if not then connect the right. See if you hear anything. Next connect phono pre one cable at a time and listen then last but not least the turntable.

Im pretty sure that after that you will find your problem.

LET us know what you find.

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2015, 01:01 am »
Or, of course you could simply call me at 651-330-9871 and I will talk you through a simple troubleshooting process to positively identify the culprit noisy unit.  Of course we will fix under warranty it if it proves to be an AVA component, but it would be nice to know for sure which component needs to be fixed.

Frank Van Alstine

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2015, 02:47 am »
I think it is the pwr amp,is the sound distorted as well?,if yes you have a faulty component inside the pwr amp... better take it to a technician...cheers... :green:

Yomaha

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2015, 04:50 am »
Hi Frank,

Are you available on the weekends for a call?  I am on west coast time. I am pretty MIA during the work week so the weekend would be best for me to call for a trouble shooting walk thru if that's possible.

Thanks so much for the quick response!!

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2015, 01:10 pm »
Yes, you can usually reach me Saturdays, or even weekday evenings before 8 pm CDT.

And, of course, for warranty repairs, you need to deal with us directly, not with some local technician that has no idea of the inner workings of our equipment.  We service nearly everything we have built over the past 50 years, although not much ever breaks.

Frank

Yomaha

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2015, 03:34 pm »
That works for me.  I usually get home around 5pm pacific so I will either call you in the evening or this weekend. 

Thank you!